by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, dr_panther), 791 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: ANM_CYCLE - workshop 21 - problem [Re: EvilSOB] #256530
03/17/09 11:52
03/17/09 11:52
S
Sonne Offline OP
Sonne  Offline OP
S

Originally Posted By: EvilSOB
Only reason (that I can think of) that fraps may affect it is to lower the 3DGS framerate cause
fraps is using horsepower.
Try putting fps_max = 60; at the start of main to see if anything changes.

Awesome, a fps max of 60, the animation was normal for about 180 seconds. Then I set the max 40 and it remained normal for 270 seconds. At 30 I was able to have the animation remain normal for the whole duration of the trial engine. Woot! Though it got me a little confused because I always thought the higher the fps the better. Until I read the section on frame rate in the manual..

Why would you want to decrease the frame rate? There are three reasons. Your movement functions might only work properly within a certain frame rate range, and fail at 1000 fps. You won't want your application to consume all the CPU cycles. And most important, you want to avoid stuttering. Stuttering means a camera and actor movement that appears unsteady. It won't be noticeable in a game with complex levels and medium frame rate, but mostly in games with almost empty levels, little content, and consequently very high frame rate that is then capped by fps_max.

The main reason for stuttering is a coarse PC scheduler resolution that leads to inaccurate task start times, especially when many tasks are running on a particular PC. This problem can be avoided by limiting the frame rate not only with fps_max that just gives task time back to the Windows task scheduler, but by really burning CPU cycles in some or the other way. Fortunately, this is easily done. If your game experiences stuttering, just place some more details in your levels for avoiding a too-high frame rate.

So I assume this could be happening because my project and the workshops are, as of now, too simple and when I add more things to the level then I may not have to limit the fps. Thanks very much Evil!

Re: ANM_CYCLE - workshop 21 - problem [Re: Sonne] #256531
03/17/09 12:02
03/17/09 12:02
Australia
EvilSOB Offline
Expert
EvilSOB  Offline
Expert

Australia
Good thinking. I would ALSO be inclined to do a full virus/malware scan of
your computer. Its easy to have many malware's (each of which will be seen as
a separate "task" by windows) running in the background, requiring lots of
un-necessary cpu horsepower.
Unless you have a very under-powered computer for programming 3DGS.
What are your PC's specs... CPU, RAM, VideoCard, and free HardDrive space.

"There is no fate but what WE make." - CEO Cyberdyne Systems Corp.
A8.30.5 Commercial
Re: ANM_CYCLE - workshop 21 - problem [Re: EvilSOB] #257269
03/22/09 03:54
03/22/09 03:54
V
Valdsator Offline
Valdsator  Offline
V

I have this problem too. I made a simple little room with a guard that you can walk around with. If I get the full version of GameStudio, won't this problem return because there's no "trial test limit?" Or does a full version completely prevent this?

Re: ANM_CYCLE - workshop 21 - problem [Re: Valdsator] #257274
03/22/09 04:36
03/22/09 04:36
Australia
EvilSOB Offline
Expert
EvilSOB  Offline
Expert

Australia
I still dont know whats actually causing the problem, so its hard to say.
Are you PC-literate enough to get the task-manager's 'cpu-usage graph' to display?
If it is going over 75% when you run the level, it may be too much for your machine, or MOST
likely youve got a malware problem.

I also have no idea of the impact Vista may cause if you have it.

NOTE TO ALL: I have never been able to re-produce this problem except through faulty coding...

"There is no fate but what WE make." - CEO Cyberdyne Systems Corp.
A8.30.5 Commercial
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de