by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (TipmyPip, AndrewAMD), 1,151 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
SynView #256407
03/16/09 16:59
03/16/09 16:59
6 Images
H
HeelX Offline OP
Senior Expert
SynView

Hi there,

there were none to speak of news in the past year of what I do except a7titude & The Lotter Effect but that was mainly caused by several projects I participate on, including Stonewall Penitentiary and my studies.

One project has been finished in its version yesterday, it's called "SynView".

SynView is a visualization application especially designed for displaying syntax trees as they are used and evaluated in the fields of (computational) linguistics and theoretical computer science (e.g. context free grammars used in compiler/software engineering).

SynView is done with the latest A7 version. The application parses LaTeX trees and transforms them into an object orientated datastructure. The visualized tree elements are sprites which are generated during runtime through rendering strings on bitmaps. Though, the sprites are static - rendering all elements dynamically causes a great fps drop. The program runs even with very large trees well on low-spec machines.

The user can zoom and pan the view, switch trees and can click on categories to focus subtrees.

SynView has been developed for a project named "Komparse" which means "comfortable parser" which can be used to parse and tag sentences to finally visualize them with SynView. The project has been supported by the chair of computational linguistics at my university.

Since this is my first "serious" application and no game with Gamestudio, I am little bit afraid how it will be evaluated by my docent and the public (you, especially).

[UPDATE - 16th August '09]
SynView is now publicially available as executable and source. I also did a small promo video in HD!!!

Video: SynView on YouTube
Installer & Source: SynView product page on my portfolio

C&C are welcome!

Best regards,
Christian
Last edited by HeelX; 08/16/09 19:50. Reason: Release & Source Available
20 Comments
Re: SynView [Re: HeelX] #256480
03/16/09 23:48
03/16/09 23:48
SC, United States
xXxGuitar511 Offline
Expert
xXxGuitar511  Offline
Expert

SC, United States
I think I can say this for a lot of us:

...what?

Knowing you and your amazing work, I'm sure it's something completely over most of our heads. You probably realized this by the lack of replies. I'm really questioning my intelligence now because I have no idea what this is used for, even after reading the description twice... maybe I need to do some research.

xXxGuitar511
- Programmer
Re: SynView [Re: xXxGuitar511] #256484
03/17/09 00:52
03/17/09 00:52
Brasil - RS
D
DiegoFloor Offline
DiegoFloor  Offline
D

Brasil - RS
Quote:
I think I can say this for a lot of us

Yep.. I was waiting for more people to comment to, maybe, give me a clue :P

I recognized the word Latex! I have a degree in physics, so I use Latex in a daily basis. But the rest is still a mystery confused

Re: SynView [Re: DiegoFloor] #256497
03/17/09 04:25
03/17/09 04:25
Germany
K
KDuke Offline
KDuke  Offline
K

Germany
Now thats freaking amazing!

For the other's understanding. This program actually does analyze German or English written sentences. It classifies the words of the analyzed in their parts of speech (also called lexical category) and shows the result.
Such sort of analysis can be used for checking the grammar of sentences written in a word processor for example. Though it can as well be used as syntax checker for programming languages.

Or maybe even driving this program further would make the computer able to actually understand what is being said to him in text-form. Though I guess this would be way to far going.

This is how I understood the whole thing. HeelX did I get this right?

greetings
KDuke

Using A7 Free
Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: SynView [Re: KDuke] #256506
03/17/09 07:10
03/17/09 07:10

M
mercuryus
Unregistered
mercuryus
Unregistered
M

To be honest (not offending) I can't see the great benefit of using a 3D-engine for this. Especial when it comes to a mass data storage/monitoring.
I didn't tested it but from the screens it looks well designed.

Re: SynView [Re: ] #256515
03/17/09 08:18
03/17/09 08:18
Karlsruhe
PadMalcom Offline
Serious User
PadMalcom  Offline
Serious User

Karlsruhe
Eventually, I found somebody who has to deal with the same topics that I have to! laugh Syntax analysis is one of the most interesting topics I ever had in my studies but I wonder as well why you chose Lite-C to write such a program smile

Re: SynView [Re: PadMalcom] #256587
03/17/09 17:11
03/17/09 17:11
H
HeelX Offline OP
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline OP
Senior Expert
H

Thanks for the spare comments wink

KDude has explained it very well. The goal of or final project for our course was to implement a linguistic system in any kind of fashion and we chosed to make an ergonomic approach on parsing. We programmed during the course only with PERL and used it in Eclipse or via commandline and that is very.. minimalistic.

Our target group is/were especially students of (computational) linguistics that try to figure out what this is all about and docents who use these tools in their teachings.

Actually, the whole core processing and data storgae is object orientated and done in C++. I compiled it as plugin. The whole GUI including the tree visualization and rendering is done in Lite-C. The hardware acceleration allowed me a smooth control and navigation which is at the same time intuitive and easy to use. I also wrote a (Lite-)C interface to the STL to access it to grant fast and secure code.

I was amazed by the new rendering techniques to render and store TTF strings on bitmaps and a possibility to use A7 in a serious context. Though, I could have used any other toolkit but in terms of hardware accelerated rendering A7 was the tool I am most familiar at the moment.

I will later upload a video of the app in action.

Re: SynView [Re: HeelX] #256703
03/18/09 14:22
03/18/09 14:22
take me down to the paradise c...
Cowabanga Offline
Expert
Cowabanga  Offline
Expert

take me down to the paradise c...
Very nice. Good work HeelX! smile

Re: SynView [Re: Cowabanga] #256819
03/19/09 08:19
03/19/09 08:19
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
This looks very interesting? How deals the parser with typos?

I see interesting applications for something like that. First you parse the sentences into their structures and then you can look into their contents. So a computer could try to understand written sentences with the right net structure of a vocabulary. Such a parser is just the beginning of something bigger.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: SynView [Re: Machinery_Frank] #256905
03/19/09 13:46
03/19/09 13:46
H
HeelX Offline OP
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline OP
Senior Expert
H

We use an Earley Parser for context free grammars. The sentence get's tokenized and then we check the tokens (words, punctuation marks, etc.) against a vocabulary so that we get for each token a tag. We have as a backbone a big (english) grammar. The parser tries to find one or more derivations from the start symbol to match the sentence. Since most sentence in speech are ambiguous you get most often multiple derivations.

Our parser doesn't work probabilistic. If it would, we could calculate for each entered sentence the most likely sentence the user meant. We implemented in the course a probabilistic CYK-Parser.. it is a bottom up parser and it works well, but is limited to grammars in Chomsky normal form and so the resulting syntaxtree's are not those one's resulting from the original grammar.

To make a computer understand what the user types (or says) is a big research field. You can't just parse a sentence, you have to bring the sentence into a context and that is harder than one could think of.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  jcl, Realspawn, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de