Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
5 registered members (AbrahamR, wdlmaster, 7th_zorro, dr_panther, 1 invisible), 764 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: OnLive! The first server-side gaming service! [Re: LarryLaffer] #264350
05/05/09 19:21
05/05/09 19:21
Damocles_ Offline
Expert
Damocles_  Offline
Expert

i only beleave it when i can play it...

they made a very important presentation for their company,
i doubt that they would risk any serverproblems at this event,
and probably just had it connected directly to a local server.

In the end its all about network-with and stability. (and partly
the quality of the codec)
The software itself is not that mindblowing after all.

I also belive that one day we will use mainly remote computers,
but they claim to do all the infrastructure now.
This is very risky, especially for high quality content
such as gaming.

Also: 7 years are rather the waiting time for the reqired
broadband infrastructure in the US, than development time,
The software is not really that magical.

Re: OnLive! The first server-side gaming service! [Re: LarryLaffer] #264352
05/05/09 19:23
05/05/09 19:23
Switzerland
Hitsch Offline OP
Hitsch  Offline OP

Switzerland
I think those 5-10 years is about as long as it will take for this service to really gain momentum and maybe change the industry so that we only use dummy terminals.

So actually I now think that this is not as surprisingly early as I first thought, it's just the first sign that the industry is really going there.

Re: OnLive! The first server-side gaming service! [Re: checkbutton] #264357
05/05/09 20:03
05/05/09 20:03
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Originally Posted By: checkbutton
I don't think that you can copy a game wich you only have the rendered information of... All the gmae logic, etc. pp. is stored and running on a server, you only get send the rendered images or the information for your graphics card how to render it. It makes it really impossible to pirate a game.

Yeah, but the idea is stupid to some extent. It means paying 50 bucks for a game might mean you won't be able to play it whenever a server goes down permanently. I very much like the fact that I can simply walk to my games collection and pick say Half-life 1 and play years after it got released.

I definitely don't like the idea of games becoming slot machines and the like. I also very much doubt if it would work in practice, seems like 5Mbit/s isn't really a lot to transfer continuous streams of rendering and input / controller data. Don't forget this whole system will need to work with zero latency for it to be even close to playable if it's truly only rendering information.

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: OnLive! The first server-side gaming service! [Re: PHeMoX] #264358
05/05/09 20:12
05/05/09 20:12
Blade280891 Offline
Serious User
Blade280891  Offline
Serious User

Also would this not go on your download limit ? therefore meaning ISPs would limit you or charge more

My Avatar Randomness V2

"Someone get me to the doctor, and someone call the nurse
And someone buy me roses, and someone burned the church"
Re: OnLive! The first server-side gaming service! [Re: Blade280891] #264359
05/05/09 20:25
05/05/09 20:25
İstanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

İstanbul, Turkey
microsoft is working on a new windows version: Windows Cloud.

this is pretty much same idea with onlive, but instead, servers serve OS, all you need is a little device, a monitor and input devices.

Re: OnLive! The first server-side gaming service! [Re: Quad] #264363
05/05/09 21:26
05/05/09 21:26
Greece
LarryLaffer Offline
Serious User
LarryLaffer  Offline
Serious User

Greece
Quote:
seems like 5Mbit/s isn't really a lot to transfer continuous streams of rendering and input / controller data.

5Mbit is plenty. It actually occurred to me the other day that I was watching a movie from Graboid. I have a 4mbit DSL and Graboid will give u all the bandwidth you can take (for me it was 430kb/s), so I was streaming a movie that was 700mb (usual size for a normal divX movie), without having to wait at all for initial buffering, and I was thinking to myself.. I'm now receiving from some distant server 23 good quality images per second.. So, add to that their super video-game codec, and you can realize how the problem of the big volume of data to be sent, can really be solved. So all you got left now is the problem of latency. But if you think about it, if the latency of 50ms that u get everytime you play CS on online servers is good enough for playing a multiplayer game, it will be good enough for OnLive as well. So, what I'm saying is.. they don't cheat and they don't lie.. what they're proposing is very much possible, and I guess we'll all get to try it (well, US citizens only for starters frown ), in the following months.

Quote:
Also would this not go on your download limit ? therefore meaning ISPs would limit you or charge more

Your ISP is charging you per megabyte?? Change ISPs!

Cheers,
Aris

INTENSE AI: Use the Best AI around for your games!
Join our Forums now! | Get Intense Pathfinding 3 Free!
Re: OnLive! The first server-side gaming service! [Re: LarryLaffer] #264369
05/05/09 22:05
05/05/09 22:05
Blade280891 Offline
Serious User
Blade280891  Offline
Serious User

Quote:
Your ISP is charging you per megabyte?? Change ISPs!

No i meant most uk isp's charge if you go over download limit, or restrict speed or stop internet, and therefore people would need the unlimited package (which all except Sky, have fair use policies which limit download usage)

So in simple terms it would mean you would be limited about how much you can play the games for.

If the UK isps don't change then this system will fail here.

Not sure about other countries

My Avatar Randomness V2

"Someone get me to the doctor, and someone call the nurse
And someone buy me roses, and someone burned the church"
Re: OnLive! The first server-side gaming service! [Re: Blade280891] #264372
05/05/09 23:11
05/05/09 23:11
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
yeah in the us, or at least where i live this isnt an issue, its unlimited dl,

Re: OnLive! The first server-side gaming service! [Re: lostclimate] #264374
05/05/09 23:34
Austria
Blattsalat Offline
Senior Expert
Blattsalat  Offline
Senior Expert

Austria
recently more and more isp limit or downgrad their packages because users dare to use it to the limit. unlimited for you aint the same as unlimited for your isp wink

50ms latency/ping you barly get if you are honest. most of the times you play wiht 100ms+.
ontop of that put rendering time on ther servers, then the compression, then the packing and sending, then you receiving, then you unpacking and displaying. and all of that in hd and 50pictues a second.
no matter how good your codec is, none works without buffering. most of the times you wont recognize it beacuse its just a few ms. but i bet you will once you have a latency limit.

having a operating system or control system on the other hand is a whole other story. controling a spaceship flying towards the moon with 8mins delay might be acceptable. controling a renderfarm, securitysytem and and and with a few seconds delay wont hurt either.
for stuff like this, it makes perfect sense. but anything realtime related doesnt.

the hardware to render the game still has to be somewhere and somebody has to pay for it. and i bet it wont be onlive charging nothing for their services.
also you will pay per play as far as i can tell. one hour ten bucks...any game you like for example. causing a lot of new problems for wow players smile

instead of wasting time with this shit i would suggest to create better games in the first place. games these days are so bad, people dont even want to pirate them anymore.
try to get a codec for that.

cheese

Models, Textures and Levels at:
http://www.blattsalat.com/
portfolio:
http://showcase.blattsalat.com/
Re: OnLive! The first server-side gaming service! [Re: lostclimate] #264375
Austria
Blattsalat Offline
Senior Expert
Blattsalat  Offline
Senior Expert

Austria
recently more and more isp limit or downgrad their packages because users dare to use it to the limit. unlimited for you aint the same as unlimited for your isp wink

50ms latency/ping you barly get if you are honest. most of the times you play wiht 100ms+.
ontop of that put rendering time on ther servers, then the compression, then the packing and sending, then you receiving, then you unpacking and displaying. and all of that in hd and 50pictues a second.
no matter how good your codec is, none works without buffering. most of the times you wont recognize it beacuse its just a few ms. but i bet you will once you have a latency limit.

having a operating system or control system on the other hand is a whole other story. controling a spaceship flying towards the moon with 8mins delay might be acceptable. controling a renderfarm, securitysytem and and and with a few seconds delay wont hurt either.
for stuff like this, it makes perfect sense. but anything realtime related doesnt.

the hardware to render the game still has to be somewhere and somebody has to pay for it. and i bet it wont be onlive charging nothing for their services.
also you will pay per play as far as i can tell. one hour ten bucks...any game you like for example. causing a lot of new problems for wow players smile

instead of wasting time with this shit i would suggest to create better games in the first place. games these days are so bad, people dont even want to pirate them anymore.
try to get a codec for that.

cheese

Models, Textures and Levels at:
http://www.blattsalat.com/
portfolio:
http://showcase.blattsalat.com/
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de