by TipmyPip. 04/27/24 13:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (vicknick, 7th_zorro), 888 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 27 of 34 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 33 34
Re: Unity 2.5 for Windows - sooner than you think [Re: Machinery_Frank] #259718
04/07/09 10:43
04/07/09 10:43
O
ortucis Offline
ortucis  Offline
O

Originally Posted By: Machinery_Frank
If you have a job then Unity Indie is cheap as well. But then you probably have no time to make a high end graphic game in your spare time any way. Smaller and casual games are still the better bet then.

And if you did not understand the reason I mentioned in terms of development times, project size and technology, then I feel sorry for you. I tried to help but I cannot help everybody. I dont defend Unity. I mentioned a lot of other tools as well because every tool has its place.

It is up to you. Have fun or finish a game!

I am sorry, did you just assume that I was loaded with cash just cause I have a job and get to "play around" with expensive softwares? Just like your sane advice on switching to even more complicated engine for an Indie who wants to use something like A7 or Unity in the first place just so he can get extra shaders.. which are ALREADY present in A7 basic? Your posts don't make sense, at all.

No offense but I have read a lot of posts from you needlessly defending and commenting different engines and softwares (how do you afford to know so much about all these softwares anyway?) on a million threads. I have yet to find a post that made sense and was on-topic to the discussion or contributed more than a load of crap.

But then again, I wasn't taking you seriously because just like other times, you have barely even tried Unity in the first place (which you already mentioned few posts back, unlike you, I pay attention). Considering I am only "guessing" on if some games can be done convincingly on Indie version, your posts come out more as "yes, Indie can do everything as long as you are awesome and cool like me".

Also, where exactly in my posts did you read how I wanted to create a next-gen MMO? So according to you, adding basic features like dynamic shadows in your project is like making a big leap into the realm of AAA games? Oh jeez, I wonder if adding a motion blur means I have to upgrade to idTech 5 going by your genius suggestions. Is it way too advanced for a fraking Indie? Oh god no, not the motion blur.. shocked

Thanks for the game development lessons Mr.Machinery_Frank.

PS: Do you think I should license Doom 3 engine because I want some shadows in the game? Thanks for the advice. Don't worry about the price, I have a "JOB" (secret code word for the money tree in my backyard).

Click to reveal.. (warning)
Re: Unity 2.5 for Windows - sooner than you think [Re: ortucis] #259726
04/07/09 11:36
04/07/09 11:36
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Originally Posted By: ortucis
just like your sane advice on switching to even more complicated engine

No, please dont switch at all. You did not understand. Since I have no idea about your project I never gave you an advice to switch. I just told in general what tool might be better for what kind of project.
But you take it personally. I dont get why.

Quote:
Your posts don't make sense, at all.

Hm, there are several reasons for that. One reason might be that I wrote none-sense. The other one might be your willingness to understand. I will not judge this.

Quote:
...how do you afford to know so much about all these softwares anyway?)

I am a beta tester of Unity. I create games for more than 15 years. And I used to work with a lot of tools (Gamestudio, Gamespace, Torque, C4, Unity, Beyond Virtual, Lawmaker, FPS-Creator, Lightwave, C4D, ZBrush, Modo, Fragmotion, Milkshape, Bodypaint3d). We need a lot of them for creating our model packs at Dexsoft. Some tools are only for converting models. We made some games at Dexsoft and we have to test our models in different engines.
And no, I dont use warez. I bought licenses every year.

Quote:
But then again, I wasn't taking you seriously...

That is a big mistake. It is better to pay more respect. I pay respect to you, my girl-friend and my kids because they expect this from me. If yo do not, then you are just plain ignorant and arrogant.

I will not comment the rest of your post. It went more and more into exaggeration, emotional stuff and insulting. I am tired of commenting this.

I have no idea why you are so emotional about software. I explained everything clear and without focusing at a certain tool. I try to be objective, not to attack certain groups of users, because I know how fanboys react. But still it happens that some people take it as a personal issue.
This is not my intention to raise such negative emotions.

Have fun with the tool you ever use. Unity is definitely a tool to have fun. A lot of users already told this here and I am thankful for their advice (because I could not test every aspect of this big tool-set, I am not making a Unity game currently, but people like Kiyaku do).
But other tools are great as well. So I often try to mention their advantages/disadvantages to just chose the right tool for the right project.

I think this in not hard to understand.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Unity 2.5 for Windows - sooner than you think [Re: Machinery_Frank] #259732
04/07/09 11:58
04/07/09 11:58
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
The reason for this discussion with its huge posts must be an emotional twist, because it makes no reasonable sense.

The persons who used Unity3D are longtime users of A6, and they know what about they speak when they compare the engines.

Kabus works with the dynamic shadow system of A6 only, because it uses extremely restrictions of view and rooms. There are always only very view entities with a dynamic shadow visible. It is one of the very very few games where the makers where able to make reasonable use of the shadow system.

For my more plattformer-like game with a free far view, and up to 30 NPCs it was useless, because everything got too slowly.

Re: Unity 2.5 for Windows - sooner than you think [Re: Machinery_Frank] #259762
04/07/09 14:35
04/07/09 14:35
planet.earth
ello Offline
Senior Expert
ello  Offline
Senior Expert

planet.earth
Originally Posted By: Machinery_Frank
It is up to you. Have fun or finish a game!

or Have fun and finish a game!

Re: Unity 2.5 for Windows - sooner than you think [Re: ratchet] #259771
04/07/09 16:09
04/07/09 16:09
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

Originally Posted By: ratchet

What we can see is that the Unity team is lot more people than A7 , that's why it's progressing so fast with support for
iphone and Wii.

That might even be the most important and overlooked point.
Even if some features are still msising, with a bigger team they will make it faster into the engine... or at least... should... smile

Re: Unity 2.5 for Windows - sooner than you think [Re: FBL] #259823
04/07/09 21:50
04/07/09 21:50
England
BigDaz Offline
BigDaz  Offline

England
The way I see it on paper A7 Commercial and A7 Pro are pretty much identical in terms of price and features as Unity Indie and Unity Pro.

Re: Unity 2.5 for Windows - sooner than you think [Re: BigDaz] #259910
04/08/09 07:50
04/08/09 07:50
Ä°stanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

Ä°stanbul, Turkey
Originally Posted By: BigDaz
The way I see it on paper A7 Commercial and A7 Pro are pretty much identical in terms of price and features as Unity Indie and Unity Pro.

altough i dont liek that unity vs other engines thing,
a7 commerical has rtt support and dynamic sahodws. unity indie doesnt.

Re: Unity 2.5 for Windows - sooner than you think [Re: Quad] #259912
04/08/09 08:12
04/08/09 08:12
A
amy Offline
amy  Offline
A

But like already mentioned Unity indie has many features A7 commercial doesn´t have which balances this a bit. Weighted bones, a filepacker, PhysX, a webplugin, OSX support, a powerful foliage system, a much more modern scripting system, a WYSIWIG editor, the possibility to go to other platforms later,...

Like ortucis you could say that everyone will laugh at you with non-weighted bone animations. smile

You simply have to decide what´s more important to you.

My biggest complaint about Unity indie is the watermark which appears for 3 seconds in the webplayer. I find it a bit annoying.

Re: Unity 2.5 for Windows - sooner than you think [Re: amy] #259923
04/08/09 08:30
04/08/09 08:30
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
Quote:
Weighted bones

supported

Quote:
WYSIWIG editor

If you use blender, and you know what features link right with 3dgs using vents plugin, you basically have that too.

Re: Unity 2.5 for Windows - sooner than you think [Re: lostclimate] #259926
04/08/09 08:34
04/08/09 08:34
A
amy Offline
amy  Offline
A

No, weighted bones aren´t supported in A7 commercial. I also think that A7 bone animation is a lot slower than in Unity because it doesn´t get done on the GPU.

I agree about using blender. It´s almost as good as having a WYSIWIG editor. Just the material workflow isn´t that nice.

Page 27 of 34 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 33 34

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de