Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Help with plotting multiple ZigZag
by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
M1 Oversampling
by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
Trading Journey
by howardR. 04/28/24 09:55
Zorro Trader GPT
by TipmyPip. 04/27/24 13:50
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, Quad), 843 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Is God's non-existence provable? #277696
07/10/09 08:18
07/10/09 08:18
Frankfurt
jcl Offline OP

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline OP

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
Most people assume that neither God's existence, nor his non-existence can be proven, and thus is a mere matter of faith. However I think this is wrong.

At first, God's existence is obviously provable. God just needs to appear in a burning bush in Central Park, or on TV, and hold a speech. This would already prove his existence.

More difficult is the question if God's nonexistence can be proven. There are about 20,000 different gods known, with very different properties, and obviously you can not prove the nonexistence of all possible gods. However can you prove the nonexistence of a particular god?

This depends on the god. For the Christian god as described in the Bible, I think the answer is yes. But not in the sense of a scientific proof, more in the sense of a legal proof, which means "beyond reasonable doubt".

Such a proof could go 3 ways:

- By experience: the god of the bible is described as affecting nature and affecting the affairs of people. When not the slightest trace of a godly force or influence can be found in any nature's law that was discovered so far by scientists, or in any period of human history that was reconstructed so far by historians or archeologists, the existence of this god is highly unlikely for all those observed parts of nature or history.

- By logic: the god of the bible is described as being our image, and thus following the same logic. When his behavior or intention makes logically no sense, such as with theodicy or original sin, we can conclude that this god does not match his own description in the Bible, and is a self-contradiction.

- By probability: As mentioned there are 20,000 gods known today, but there were a lot more in human history, probably more than 100,000. All have different properties, and most can not exist simultaneously as they contradict each other. The likeliness of the existence of one particular god therefore is about 1/100,000. The number of worshippers of this god does not matter here, because all those gods once had a majority of worshippers at some place and time in history.

This would be 3 ways to prove the nonexistence of a particular God, in the sense of legal evidence. But maybe someone can find even more ways?

Re: Is God's non-existence provable? [Re: jcl] #277698
07/10/09 08:50
07/10/09 08:50
Poland
LordMoggy Offline
LordMoggy  Offline

Poland
There is only one god and he has no religion!

He also has the power to create and set us free....He also showed his force once as proof what more proof do you need?

Re: Is God's non-existence provable? [Re: LordMoggy] #277706
07/10/09 09:36
07/10/09 09:36
Germany
Lukas Offline

Programmer
Lukas  Offline

Programmer

Germany
I think you don't necessarily have to prove god's non-existence because there is no evidence. No one believes in the Flying Spagetthi Monster or the Invisible Pink Unicorn, although their non-existence can't be proven either.

But I think there is a disproof for a god that is allmighty, all-knowing and perfect and influences in the universe:
If god is perfect, he won't change his opinion, because either the old or the new opinion must be wrong and thus unperfect. So we know that god, if he exists, will never change his opinion.
At the beginning of the universe, god could choose the initial state of the universe and the natural laws, which would lead all events that ever happen if god does NOT influence in the universe. So, at the beginning, god could already decide everything that ever will happen.
So if god influences in the universe, he must have changed his opinion. This contradicts to the assumption that he never change his opinion and thus that he is allmighty, all-knowing and perfect and influences in the universe.
So god either does not exist or does not influence in the universe. quod erat demonstrandum.

And even if god exists and haven't influenced in the universe since he created it, the Bible is not the word of god. Then deism would be true.

Re: Is God's non-existence provable? [Re: Lukas] #277729
07/10/09 11:53
07/10/09 11:53
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
From a historical perspective it's very easy to prove how the Christian belief came into existence as a result of people borrowing lots of ideas from other religions. That in itself is evidence that the existence of that particular newly created God is rather highly unlikely.

I think God's non-existence can also easily be proven by examining the Bible too. After all, if the Bible doesn't contain lots of things that are true or have really happened, why should it be right in that a God exists in the first place?

People often talk about having faith in how their God must exist, but in reality they only really have this book they want to believe in. Of course people can't possibly know who or what God is if they never met him/her/it. Meaning believing in something that 'unknown' and 'uncertain' is rather strange, let alone truthful by definition. It's like that guy in the middle of nowhere that takes his hat off. When we never saw him, there's no way to know he ever existed and did in fact take his hat off. But no.. religious people are convinced they can know things, they can't possibly know at all.

The word delusional comes to mind. wink

Anyway, as we all know, the Bible is far from flawless and even has a bunch of odd contradictions and greatly exaggerated stories that have already been proven not to be historical. From global floods to Noah's Arc, there's really no good reason to assume God is real.

If projected onto our modern ideas about society it's very much an outdated book too when it comes to certain morals. Why would a perfect, flawless, all-knowing and ever-present God forget to take change into account??

The Bible didn't mention fossils or dinosaurs, nor does it give an explanation for a whole lot of other things. Inventions and so on occurred without a God being present for sure. So in essence, what would be the purpose of a God, if it's a. not present and b. has no interest or ability to influence our everyday lives?

In fact, talking about influence and control, why would a God give us 10 commandments?? When you think about it, it's really not that difficult to see that religion was invented by humans and has a very clear purpose that has nothing to do with Gods at all. Again something that should reveal how Gods in general can't exist.

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Is God's non-existence provable? [Re: Lukas] #277730
07/10/09 11:54
07/10/09 11:54
Deutsch Niedersachsen
Puppeteer Offline
Expert
Puppeteer  Offline
Expert

Deutsch Niedersachsen
@ jcl:
Your proof is no valid proof. You can say that gods (/tooth fairys/unicorns) existence is very very unlikely. But this wont make it a proof.
Example:
Your first proof:
Experience is limited to a certain amount of time, it is theoretically possible that you (or whatever) just missed the day when god was doing something. And if god is omnipotent he maybe made everyone forget for some reason.

It works the same way for the 2nd and 3rd one too.
Have you ever read Richard Dawkins "The god delusion"?
It really is worth reading (or listening to) since it works with god and atheism from nearly every point of view.

EDIT:
@ Phemox:
You disproved the bible not god i think this is a huge difference

Last edited by Puppeteer; 07/10/09 11:57.

Formally known as Omega
Avatar randomness by Quadraxas & Blade
http://omegapuppeteer.mybrute.com
Re: Is God's non-existence provable? [Re: Lukas] #277732
07/10/09 12:01
07/10/09 12:01
Australia
EvilSOB Offline
Expert
EvilSOB  Offline
Expert

Australia
What do you mean the Flying Spagetthi Monster doesnt exist? I've got photos!

Anyway, back to topic.
I dont know if I agree with your conclusion there Lukas, even though I do agree with your reasoning.

If god is/was "allmighty, all-knowing and perfect", then when he 'kick-started' the universe,
he put exactly enough 'spin' on it to turn out exactly as planned, like you say.
BUT, just because he is no longer 'directly' influencing us, does his influence "not count"
just because it comes to us through cause-and-effect stretching back to his initial kick?
So I feel I need to re-word you concusion slightly to
"So god either does not exist or does longer directly influence the universe. quod erat demonstrandum."

And if god put all his pre-planning into that initial kick, then the bible COULD be
the true word of god if he decided (way back when) to make it so.
(emphisis on the word COULD, we'll likely never know the truth, not till we meet at the pearly gates anyway)

"There is no fate but what WE make." - CEO Cyberdyne Systems Corp.
A8.30.5 Commercial
Re: Is God's non-existence provable? [Re: Puppeteer] #277733
07/10/09 12:05
07/10/09 12:05
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:
Experience is limited to a certain amount of time, it is theoretically possible that you (or whatever) just missed the day when god was doing something.

That still wouldn't make such events different from pure chance or what you could call luck. Neither would it prove God's existence nor non-existence.

It's a lot like those people that claim God is trying to 'fool us' by putting fossils of very old animals in the ground. As if he has a motive to do such things.

Quote:
You can say that gods (/tooth fairys/unicorns) existence is very very unlikely. But this wont make it a proof.

I sort of gravely disagree here when there are a whole lot of reasons why God's existence is rather extremely unlikely and not one single reason why God's existence is likely.

If there's no proof in favor of God's existence and there are good arguments to assume it doesn't exist, then I think within the realm of our knowledge it makes perfect sense to claim God can not exist. Philosophical, logical and scientific proof combined certainly makes it ever more unlikely that there's such a thing as God.

Quote:
@ Phemox:
You disproved the bible not god i think this is a huge difference

Not really, because apart from the Biblical stories there's literally no tangible thing that suggests the Christian God must exist!! Remember how the Bible claims God has an influence or claims to know what kind of character God is, or how it talks about Jesus as the messiah?

It's the sole reason why Christians very often reply with 'because the Bible says so', instead of coming up with a logical reason why God must exist or did whatever they were arguing about. Their Bible is their answer, because according to them it is proof for the existence of their God. It defines their God.

You'd be right if you would argue that I have disproven the Christian God or God of the Bible. But from the perspective of Christianity, it makes no sense to look at God as something separate from the Bible at all.

Quote:
And if god put all his pre-planning into that initial kick, then the bible COULD be
the true word of god if he decided (way back when) to make it so.

Then you'd be assuming the world was predestined and there are even more reasons why that's incredibly unlikely. But you'd have to check the 'free will' topic. If a God truly knows the future and that knowledge affects his actions, then events in the future will be causing effects in the past This would again lead us to observing all that happens around us in search of divine intervention, which clearly never was observed.

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Is God's non-existence provable? [Re: PHeMoX] #277740
07/10/09 12:43
07/10/09 12:43
Deutsch Niedersachsen
Puppeteer Offline
Expert
Puppeteer  Offline
Expert

Deutsch Niedersachsen
Originally Posted By: PHeMoX

That still wouldn't make such events different from pure chance or what you could call luck. Neither would it prove God's existence nor non-existence.

It's a lot like those people that claim God is trying to 'fool us' by putting fossils of very old animals in the ground. As if he has a motive to do such things.

Thats exacly what i meant.
You cant prove the existence or non-existence of god with it.
I think implying that you know everything to absolutely disproof god is just as foolish as believing in god
(Even though i absolutely dont believe in god ^^)

I sort of gravely disagree here when there are a whole lot of reasons why God's existence is rather extremely unlikely and not one single reason why God's existence is likely.

If there's no proof in favor of God's existence and there are good arguments to assume it doesn't exist, then I think within the realm of our knowledge it makes perfect sense to claim God can not exist. Philosophical, logical and scientific proof combined certainly makes it ever more unlikely that there's such a thing as God.

I think you cant say god cant exist since you are implying the same thing i said above.

Not really, because apart from the Biblical stories there's literally no tangible thing that suggests the Christian God must exist!! Remember how the Bible claims God has an influence or claims to know what kind of character God is, or how it talks about Jesus as the messiah?

It's the sole reason why Christians very often reply with 'because the Bible says so', instead of coming up with a logical reason why God must exist or did whatever they were arguing about. Their Bible is their answer, because according to them it is proof for the existence of their God. It defines their God.

You'd be right if you would argue that I have disproven the Christian God or God of the Bible. But from the perspective of Christianity, it makes no sense to look at God as something separate from the Bible at all.

This is one of the big problems in christianity.
Even most christians realize themself that there is something wrong with the bible.
Normally they only pick the "good" parts out of it

Formally known as Omega
Avatar randomness by Quadraxas & Blade
http://omegapuppeteer.mybrute.com
Re: Is God's non-existence provable? [Re: jcl] #277796
07/10/09 18:35
07/10/09 18:35
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Originally Posted By: jcl

More difficult is the question if God's nonexistence can be proven.

if for prove you mean the accademic definition of this term,of course the God's non existance shall never be proven

However science and in particular biology has razed to the ground several , let's say, God / religion related topics
If God exist for sure has nothing to do with the one described by the main religions

Re: Is God's non-existence provable? [Re: AlbertoT] #277859
07/11/09 05:06
07/11/09 05:06
Australia
EvilSOB Offline
Expert
EvilSOB  Offline
Expert

Australia
Quote:
"I refuse to prove that I exist" says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith, I am nothing."
"Oh," says man, "but the Bible is a dead give-away, isn't it? It proves You exist, and so therefore You don't. QED"
"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that." who promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

"There is no fate but what WE make." - CEO Cyberdyne Systems Corp.
A8.30.5 Commercial
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite