Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Trading Journey
by howardR. 04/24/24 20:04
M1 Oversampling
by Petra. 04/24/24 10:34
Zorro FIX plugin - Experimental
by flink. 04/21/24 07:12
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by EternallyCurious. 04/20/24 21:39
Scripts not found
by juergen_wue. 04/20/24 18:51
zorro 64bit command line support
by 7th_zorro. 04/20/24 10:06
StartWeek not working as it should
by jcl. 04/20/24 08:38
folder management functions
by VoroneTZ. 04/17/24 06:52
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 642 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea
19048 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Is God's non-existence provable? [Re: EvilSOB] #277872
07/11/09 07:14
07/11/09 07:14
T
testDummy Offline
Serious User
testDummy  Offline
Serious User
T

Quoting jcl.
Quote:
But maybe someone can find even more ways?

- By evidence, finding a body?
When we find a stinking, rotting husk of what was, maybe we can finally put certain irrelevant paths to rest, and dutifully pay homage to the true deities by honoring the microorganisms which supersede and feed on the inert "creator's" shell. crazy grin mad grin

Re: Is God's non-existence provable? [Re: Puppeteer] #277978
07/11/09 18:38
07/11/09 18:38
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:
I think implying that you know everything to absolutely disproof god is just as foolish as believing in god

No, I'm not talking about absolute disproof at all, but rather relative disproof, which to me is solid enough to consider God non-existing.

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Is God's non-existence provable? [Re: Puppeteer] #278343
07/13/09 08:43
07/13/09 08:43
Frankfurt
jcl Offline OP

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline OP

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
Originally Posted By: Puppeteer
@ jcl:
Your proof is no valid proof. You can say that gods (/tooth fairys/unicorns) existence is very very unlikely. But this wont make it a proof.
Example:
Your first proof:
Experience is limited to a certain amount of time, it is theoretically possible that you (or whatever) just missed the day when god was doing something. And if god is omnipotent he maybe made everyone forget for some reason.

You must not confuse a proof in mathematics, and a proof in natural science. Only in mathematics you can really prove something. In natural science you can only assign more or less likeliness to a theory, based on certain criteria. One of them is experience, i.e. observation.

All pigs we've seen so far walk on the ground and don't have wings, thus we assume that pigs don't fly. Theoretically it's possible that there is a flying pig with wings that we just haven't seen yet, or have forgotten for some reason. In that sense, there is no mathematical proof that pigs don't fly. We just consider it extremely unlikely, based on our experience. It's the same with the existence of the Christian God.

Re: Is God's non-existence provable? [Re: LordMoggy] #278358
07/13/09 09:36
07/13/09 09:36
Innsbruck, Austria
sPlKe Offline
Expert
sPlKe  Offline
Expert

Innsbruck, Austria
Originally Posted By: LordMoggy
There is only one god and he has no religion!

He also has the power to create and set us free....He also showed his force once as proof what more proof do you need?

he did? when? where?
gods non existance can easily be proven. because he would be a paradox. he cannot be almighty, simple as that. and usually all gods seem to be allmighty. end of story...

Re: Is God's non-existence provable? [Re: jcl] #278430
07/13/09 19:58
07/13/09 19:58
Coppell, Texas
Ran Man Offline
Expert
Ran Man  Offline
Expert

Coppell, Texas
Originally Posted By: jcl

- By probability: As mentioned there are 20,000 gods known today, but there were a lot more in human history, probably more than 100,000. All have different properties, and most can not exist simultaneously as they contradict each other.

Hi,
Yes, the bible affirms your statement as true.
The bible says that there are many gods and many lords.

1 Corinthians 8:5
For even if there are so-called gods whether in heaven or on earth, as indeed there are many gods and many lords,

So, yes, there are many gods and lords that have power down here.

Quote:
the existence of this god is highly unlikely for all those observed parts of nature or history.

Yes, but you discount the influence of the other gods? Why is that?
What if the other gods affected nature? What if they affected history?
What if some of the other gods were evil? and if they affected nature itself?

Quote:
- By logic: the god of the bible is described as being our image, and thus following the same logic. When his behavior or intention makes logically no sense, such as with theodicy or original sin, we can conclude that this god does not match his own description in the Bible, and is a self-contradiction.

Yes, in the garden of eden we were his image, but lost that with the fall.
The other gods are causing havoc.
Yes, i believe in hindu, buddhist, and all of that, but do not follow them. wink

Summary:
To summarize, you cannot judge Nitro 777's actions based upon RanMan's actions.

Also, you cannot judge Marco Grubert's actions against Doug Poston's actions either.

And, you cannot judge the Almighty's existence, based upon the lesser gods causing havoc down here right now.
btw, the lesser gods are only demonic angels, whose fall is described in the bible.

bye. grin

Cougar Interactive

www.zoorace.com
Re: Is God's non-existence provable? [Re: Ran Man] #278535
07/14/09 11:25
07/14/09 11:25
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

Yes, in the garden of eden we were his image, but lost that with the fall.
The other gods are causing havoc.
Yes, i believe in hindu, buddhist, and all of that, but do not follow them.

A lot of those 'other' Gods are actually contradicting your God's existence though in how in for example Hindu religion the followers believe there is no Christian or Islamic or Jewish God. They might be open-minded enough to compare those more Western Gods with specific Hindu Gods, but they do not believe thóse Gods co-exist. Which is perhaps surprising even for a polytheistic religion... but really, it sort of doesn't work the way you seem to think. I'm not saying you can't believe in what you believe though, I'm merely questioning how much sense it actually makes.

I think JCL's flying pigs example and similar ideas like the Flying Spaghetti Monster God really explain how little sense the existence of a God would make even if only as a theoretical possibility.

Quote:
And, you cannot judge the Almighty's existence, based upon the lesser gods causing havoc down here right now.
btw, the lesser gods are only demonic angels, whose fall is described in the bible.

This sort of sounds to me like saying that even if we would discover a direct divine influence, it still doesn't mean it's the Christian God to 'blame' nor proof for it's particular existence.

I very much agree. And in my mind this also makes it even more unlikely that Gods could even exist. It's pretty easy to see that they've got a severely limited theoretical and very imaginative space in which they could exist.

For example, if even the Messiah with his magical tricks a few thousand years had trouble convincing people of his divine nature, how could a God even if it would appear in person ?? How could be determined which God it actually is? There are many many problems when it comes to proof even in the most direct sense of the word.

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Is God's non-existence provable? [Re: PHeMoX] #278664
07/15/09 01:13
07/15/09 01:13
California, USA
bupaje Offline
Expert
bupaje  Offline
Expert

California, USA
I always hated != proofs - tends to result in some confusion. smile

I don't believe you can prove non-existence.

Quote:
By experience: the god of the bible ... not the slightest trace of a godly force or influence can be found in any nature's law that was discovered so far by scientists, or in any period of human history that was reconstructed so far by historians or archeologists, ...

This presupposes several things that aren't necessarily true. First, that our science, historians and archeologists have discovered enough key truths in their fields; that these discovered facts are germane to our ability to determine the existence of God and that they have actually been applied to the process in any substantive way. Personally I think you could plug 'hairdressers, policeman and chefs' into your contention and it wouldn't increase - or decrease- the possibility of your statement being true. I'm not sure that science has the tools to prove God's existence - and I'm reasonably certain that we don't know enough to disprove it.

Find me at: |Stormvisions| Twitter|
Re: Is God's non-existence provable? [Re: bupaje] #278679
07/15/09 07:01
07/15/09 07:01
Innsbruck, Austria
sPlKe Offline
Expert
sPlKe  Offline
Expert

Innsbruck, Austria
if you prove that it does not exist, you proved its non existance.
and allmighty does not exist, simple as that. thats a fact. almighty is impossible.
there, i just proved that an almighty god does not exist.
happy now?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite