Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (TedMar), 1,420 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Some clearing up please (yes, another atheist thread) [Re: pararealist] #279547
07/18/09 04:39
07/18/09 04:39
Greece
LarryLaffer Offline
Serious User
LarryLaffer  Offline
Serious User

Greece
Quote:
I find it all so fascinating, like GOOD Sci-Fi.

I think you just answered your question, didn't you?

Part of me understands why people tend to get more fascinated about wise ancient books or Paranormal activities, like ghosts and guardian angels and telekinesis and levitation. In certain periods in my life I used to believe in each one of them. But now I found a much more fascinating subject to do my research on. Science.

Recently I picked up a book about quantum physics. Here's some facts which actually are true:

• Every breath you take contains an atom breathed out by Marilyn Monroe.
  • There is a liquid that can run uphill.
  • You age faster at the top of a building than at the bottom.
  • An atom can be in many different places at once, the equivalent of you being in New York and London at the same time.
  • The entire human race would fit in the volume of a sugar cube.
  • One per cent of the static on a television tuned between stations is the relic of the Bing Bang.
  • Time travel is not forbidden by the laws of physics.
  • A cup of coffee weighs more when it is hot than when it is cold.
  • The faster you travel, the slimmer you get.

So my point is, if you're up for reading exciting stuff, you don't have to waste time on stories that might be true. The real thing is much, much more exciting than any science fiction writer (including the apostoles, Ron Hubbard, etc) could ever envision.

Just my two cents. Sorry for skewing off topic.

Cheers,
Aris

INTENSE AI: Use the Best AI around for your games!
Join our Forums now! | Get Intense Pathfinding 3 Free!
Re: Some clearing up please (yes, another atheist thread) [Re: Ran Man] #279571
07/18/09 09:03
07/18/09 09:03
UK,Terra, SolarSystem, Milky W...
pararealist Offline
pararealist  Offline

UK,Terra, SolarSystem, Milky W...
Yes i've heard of them the Nephilim.
I suppose they were the aliens, seen as "Gods" by the human population.
Some say the "flood" is a recurring event that happens on Earth
every 3600 years, sometimes major, sometimes minor, and the aliens took to their spaceships to escape it, and did not let the humans know because they wanted to get rid of them. One of these aliens did however save genetic material (not the ark 2 by 2) of humans and animals for later recreation. This became the story of the ark.
Revelations describes the catastrophe, and the writer (one of the lucky ones taken up with the aliens) records looking at Earth from above seeing it flooded completely and then later when the waters receded, become a "new earth".

I wish i could time travel with a video camera and much film to see what really happened, even as far back as 50,000 years ago, which is when they the aliens are supposed to have landed.

Last edited by pararealist; 07/18/09 09:04.

A8.3x Commercial, AcknexWrapper and VS 2010 Express
○pararealist now.
Re: Some clearing up please (yes, another atheist thread) [Re: lostclimate] #279633
07/18/09 14:30
07/18/09 14:30
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:
they manage to produce millions of children that have different DNA all over the world without a single prospect of any deformity by having incest. Now how awesome must their DNA have been to take all those generations without deteriorating?

One could easily argue that incest is something that happens more often within more advanced societies (nobles marrying each other, severely increasing incestuous relationships), so it actually makes sense that it didn't happen very often in the ancient days where people would marry people from other groups and therefore deformations were far less common.

I doubt one could say it 'never happened' though, I am sure there must have been plenty of deformed people (that had a bad chance of surviving) and honestly there's a fossil record that back that up.

Also, don't forget that certain reproduction errors that we call for example the Down Syndrome do have their own origin as well. The fact that in modern days chances are incredibly high that you'd get deformed kids when having incestuous relationships doesn't mean it used to be the same in ancient days.

Add to that the mere fact that we're globally mixing our genes for quite some time too now, meaning people will inevitably also have more genetic information in common.

It still doesn't mean we're doomed to end up only being able to reproduce people with the Down Syndrome either though. ( Isolation of groups and merging them later on having evolved independently for example will be good for the gene pool and many other workings of evolution will keep larger groups healthy for a very long time. )

Quote:
An atom can be in many different places at once, the equivalent of you being in New York and London at the same time.

Technically this is not true, as this is only valid for individual atoms, not groups of atoms, nor entire beings from what I understand.

When you look at this from the probability perspective of where an atom will be at any given time, this doesn't mean our body is time traveling all that time being in different places. Of course, when you look at this from a multi-dimensional perspective, it could very well be true for entire beings as well... but that's rather a stretch of the evidence as far as I can tell.

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Some clearing up please (yes, another atheist thread) [Re: PHeMoX] #279703
07/18/09 20:16
07/18/09 20:16
Greece
LarryLaffer Offline
Serious User
LarryLaffer  Offline
Serious User

Greece
Quote:
Technically this is not true, as this is only valid for individual atoms, not groups of atoms, nor entire beings from what I understand.

That's why I said atom, not atoms. Decoherence won't allow big things like trees and houses to exhibit the same behavior. But you can easily find evidence of superpositioning atoms in your everyday life.

If you look real close to a window pane, you may be able to see your reflection in the glass. But if light is made of photons, and each photon is identical, how come some of them go through the glass, and some bounce back? Shouldn't they all go through or all go back? The most acclaimed explanation so far is that when a photon hits the glass it BOTH goes through AND comes back, similar to a ripple in the sea hitting a rock, creating two ripples one going beyond the rock and a smaller one going back. Which is why we say that light has both the properties of a particle AND a wave.

Re: Some clearing up please (yes, another atheist thread) [Re: LarryLaffer] #279707
07/18/09 20:46
07/18/09 20:46
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Yes, you're right, I just interpreted your comment there as implying the same would be true for people/beings/big things made of many atoms, as to me you seemed to imply that.

Photons are identical, but doesn't the whole reflection stuff has a lot to do with intensity and waveforms of the photons? I'm thinking that's the reason why there's no crystal clear image every time a reflection is a possibility. I thought light wasn't a particle?

But I'm probably wrong here, as I am very much a layman on this subject though.

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Some clearing up please (yes, another atheist thread) [Re: PHeMoX] #279714
07/18/09 21:13
07/18/09 21:13
Greece
LarryLaffer Offline
Serious User
LarryLaffer  Offline
Serious User

Greece
Einstein showed us why light is indeed a particle.. The photon. But still behaves like a wave. It baffles scientists up to this day..

But I guess we're going off topic..

Re: Some clearing up please (yes, another atheist thread) [Re: LarryLaffer] #279721
07/18/09 21:45
07/18/09 21:45
Damocles_ Offline
Expert
Damocles_  Offline
Expert

the Particle-wave thing, Must have something to do with how the ether is made.

Re: Some clearing up please (yes, another atheist thread) [Re: Damocles_] #279747
07/18/09 22:57
07/18/09 22:57
Greece
LarryLaffer Offline
Serious User
LarryLaffer  Offline
Serious User

Greece
That's the thing. Because light isn't just a wave, ether has been thrown out of the equation. Before 1905 scientists had a hard time explaining how can light, as a wave, travel through space, since a wave needs some sort of substance to propagate through. So, physicists called this hypothetical substance ether which filled the entire universe. A photon though, can travel through vacuum just fine so after Einstein's relativity paper, ether was gone from physics.

The wave-qualities of light is now perceived differently than it did at those times. It's only a mathematical wave, which gives us the ability to predict the motion of those photons, and any other microscopic particle, with some uncertainty. Another way to predict the motion of particles, as shown with Young's double slit experiment, is to calculate two different instances of the very same atom that collide with each other, predicting its final destination. These two instances are located at two different places at the same time.

Re: Some clearing up please (yes, another atheist thread) [Re: LarryLaffer] #279778
07/19/09 08:16
07/19/09 08:16
Damocles_ Offline
Expert
Damocles_  Offline
Expert

That must mean, the "single" lightwave travels though both slits at the same time, to be able to make an inference pattern. (like waterwaves) strange...

Re: Some clearing up please (yes, another atheist thread) [Re: Damocles_] #279887
07/19/09 20:34
07/19/09 20:34
Germany, Luebeck
Xarthor Offline
Expert
Xarthor  Offline
Expert

Germany, Luebeck
@Damocles: Yes indeed. However if you put a filter between the slits and the target-screen to find out which slit a photon has taken you won't see any interference anymore (although the filter should not influence it).
Together with some more experiments you can show that the more information you try to collect about the way a photon travelled the less inference pattern you'll get.
At least that's what we were thought in school, if I remember correctly.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite