by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Ayumi, AndrewAMD), 833 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Gauntlet: An action game in the vein of Quake [Re: Grafton] #296570
11/01/09 20:16
11/01/09 20:16
North America
Redeemer Offline OP
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline OP
Serious User

North America
War Gauntlet sounds cool. "Hells Gauntlet" Doesn't seem like the theme I'm going for, it sounds a little more doomey. But it's an alright name.

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Re: Gauntlet: An action game in the vein of Quake [Re: Redeemer] #296575
11/01/09 20:51
11/01/09 20:51
Innsbruck, Austria
sPlKe Offline
Expert
sPlKe  Offline
Expert

Innsbruck, Austria
im sorry to say this but those shots are aweful. really bad.
not only are you using the standard WAD (low resolution 256 color textures) your models and levels also look really bad.
this is not meant to bring you down, really.
but its the truth. did you code it yourelf or did you use templates?
because if you used templates, i strongly suggest finding something youre good at first, and after you trained your skills in that, start a small project with someone else to produce something better...

Re: Gauntlet: An action game in the vein of Quake [Re: sPlKe] #296576
11/01/09 21:12
11/01/09 21:12
Germany, Passau
AlexDeloy Offline
AlexDeloy  Offline

Germany, Passau
Since when did A3 support dynamic lighting ?
Honestly...spike said it all, "...in the vein of quake" seems a bit far out

Before messing around with crystal shaders try to improve your basic textures, since there is no gameplay footage we can't say anything about the gameplay though

Re: Gauntlet: An action game in the vein of Quake [Re: AlexDeloy] #296581
11/01/09 21:26
11/01/09 21:26
planet.earth
ello Offline
Senior Expert
ello  Offline
Senior Expert

planet.earth
the word gaunlet is just an ordinary word. noone can claim the rights about it

Re: Gauntlet: An action game in the vein of Quake [Re: ello] #296590
11/01/09 22:20
11/01/09 22:20
North America
Redeemer Offline OP
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline OP
Serious User

North America
I understand my graphics are bad. My graphics are complete trash compared to commercial standards. Haven't you read anything I said at all? This is programmer art. As soon as I find someone else to do the art, the art being used now will be completed thrown out the window.

I use the standard wad since it's fast and good for tests. This is not the final artwork! This is exactly why I'm in the process of uploading a gameplay video to youtube, to show off the features that I have already programmed, such as multiplayer code, physics, items, etc.

Quote:
"...in the vein of quake" seems a bit far out

I'm referring to Quake 1, not the new games like Quake 4 or Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. Quake was a very simplistic game, much like how this game will be.

And NO, I do NOT use the templates. I did when I was taking my first steps into the Gamestudio system, but not now. The code is ALL 100% my own work. I have made computer games using various software since I was 8. Half my life has been spent teaching myself file structuring, computer graphics, network handling, and hardware. I know how to program in pure C. No development suites, no click-click creation, just pure programming. I've even made games for DOS that work at the system level.

Take a look at Ken Silverman's self-written games, like Super Silver Brothers or even his Build test game. He's the guy who wrote the Duke Nukem 3D engine! His handmade graphics are trash... Do you expect a man who's spent his life learning solely about computers to be artistically proficient as well? Not likely!

Don't get me wrong. I'm completely open to suggestions, even criticism. But I do not appreciate it when people take me for some average teenage kid who started learning game development yesterday.

Please do not judge my game based on those test screenshots. Perhaps I should not have uploaded them in the first place.

Last edited by Redeemer; 11/01/09 23:00.

Re: Gauntlet: An action game in the vein of Quake [Re: Redeemer] #296605
11/01/09 23:17
11/01/09 23:17
Innsbruck, Austria
sPlKe Offline
Expert
sPlKe  Offline
Expert

Innsbruck, Austria
well, thats why i said: "if you programmed it yourself..."
then you know what to do. tweak your programming skillz. programming and programming a game are two different pair of shoes. there are good programmers that program stuff but they have no idea how to set up an environment to do a full game.
once you worked that out, all you have to do is get someone to do your graphics and you are set...

Re: Gauntlet: An action game in the vein of Quake [Re: Redeemer] #296610
11/01/09 23:39
11/01/09 23:39
North America
Redeemer Offline OP
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline OP
Serious User

North America
I actually have more experience programming games than I do working on real applications, so that's not an issue for me. The only place I really don't have experience in is shader programming, but I guess this project is as good a place as any to start practicing with that (once I get some better textures). You're right, I definitely need an artist if this project will turn out to be anything worthwhile.

BTW, on the comment that no-one holds the name Gauntlet; that's not true. Copyright law dictates that one can hold and protect the title of a product they created. The owner of the title can't prohibit people from using the word in speech, but others are not allowed to name their products that same word (or phrase) unless the product is part of a different industry.

For example, one man, Joe, builds a piece of software named "Checker" and openly begins holding copyright on his product. Later another man named John builds a piece of software named "Checker". However, John is infringing Joe's copyright, and as such must rename his product or Joe can pursue John through the legal system.

However, if John creates a pizzeria, not some software, and names it "Checker", then he is not infringing Joe's copyright, because his product is part of a different industry.

You can go here for more information.

On a side note, my gameplay video has taken over 2 and a half hours to upload to youtube, and it's still not done. Darn satellite connection. I've even compressed it to a size of 5.6 mb. I could compress it to an even lower size, but that would severely limit the quality.

I would switch to a different service provider, but we kind of live in a hole here, and there's no broadband. I guess you could say we live in "Rural America".

Last edited by Redeemer; 11/01/09 23:53.

Re: Gauntlet: An action game in the vein of Quake [Re: Redeemer] #296787
11/02/09 22:52
11/02/09 22:52
North America
Redeemer Offline OP
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline OP
Serious User

North America
Upon seeing the new AUM retro games design contest, I must unfortunately put this project on hold. I've been looking forward to competing in one of these contests for a while, so I can't really to pass this one up. Sorry guys frown

On the plus side, I should be able to upload my gameplay video to youtube tomorrow, so you'll be able to see the game in its current state.

Once the contest is over, I should be able to get back to work on this project.

Re: Gauntlet: An action game in the vein of Quake [Re: Redeemer] #297087
11/05/09 01:22
11/05/09 01:22
North America
Redeemer Offline OP
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline OP
Serious User

North America
Ah ha! The gameplay video has been uploaded!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuwxWXyPa1A

Criticism, comments?

BTW, I'd like to personally apologize for what I said in a previous post concerning my artwork. It was an immature response to a perfectly legitimate comment. I hope you understand me and forgive me for my rough attitude. The last thing I want is a bad start to what could be some good friendships. Heh, sorry if this sounds kind of cheesy. tongue

Re: Gauntlet: An action game in the vein of Quake [Re: Redeemer] #297212
11/06/09 00:04
11/06/09 00:04
North America
Redeemer Offline OP
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline OP
Serious User

North America
Because I have no money to pay for an artists, and because of a lack of artistic talent of my own, I will unfortunately have to put the dev of this game on hold frown While I have plenty of programming experience under my belt, I feel I just don't have the ability to control a dev team of my own. Thus this project will probably end up going nowhere. Same problem for the winter '09 contest. I don't think I'll be able to compete.

So... Until further notice I'm pretty much out of work. I've posted a topic in the "Jobs wanted" forum, and I'm waiting for a reply. If you're in need of a programmer, PM me!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de