by jcl. 04/26/24 11:09
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, NeoDumont), 761 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Free In Game Level Editor #282220
07/30/09 20:21
07/30/09 20:21
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline OP
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
Hi,

dieses ist ein freier Ingameleveleditor! Dafür gedacht, jüngeren Kindern zu erleichtern, einfache Level zusammenzubauen. Ich hatte ihn für Workshops programmiert, die ich mit Kindern ab 10 Jahre durchführe. Letzte Woche war so ein Workshop, der 5 Tage a 6 Stunden gedauert hat.
Alle weitere Information folgt in Englisch, da das eh in diesem Forum die meisten beherrschen.

Im Spiel/Editor kann man zwischen den Sprachen mit den Tasten 1 und 2 umschalten.
F1 zeigt den kurzen Hilfstext.
Strg + Alt + E startet den Editor, mit der rechten Maustaste dreht man die Kamera im Edtor.
Mit WASD und Pfeiltasten bewegt man die Kamera.

Vieles ist etwas umständlich, das Meiste aber hoffentlich ziemlich selbsterklärend! blush

Hi,

I've created a level editor for a workshop for kids with the age between 10 and 14. The workshop happened last week and lasted 5 days and 6 hours a day.
The intention of the workshop was to create a game with children with only free programs like Lite-C, its MED, Gimp and Teddy.
Don't know whether it was a success. I hope the children still like me! wink They were extremely dedicated and concentrated to learn all the hard stuff - now, I know what parts of the hard stuff have to be avoided the next time! (Did you know that Teddy can't save its models without admin rights in Windows XP? I didn't, and it was very frustrating, especially for that kids who did a great job with that modeller.)

The Ingame Level Editor should make level building easier. It is still very basic.
I added a shadowmapping for the terrain with the help of Scorpion. There is a set of prefabricated actions. One of them is the flight action from mercuryus, one snippet is from HeelX.

The code is Lite-C, it is quite messy, a mixture of English and German, and some the code is buggy. You get a crash from time to time in "schwerkraft()", I couldn't find the reason, yet.
The code is partly not time corrected - while writing the code, I switched from writing an easy to learn code to a more elaborated code, forth and back.

This is all free for non-commercial use, except the font.

The terrain shadowing has still a 'glitch', the shadow has an offset to the model. I don't know how to solve this. Maybe, you have an answer.

I am still new to Lite-C.

To start the game look for start.exe, or, as it is meant as help for your game, you can open the start.c and the editor.c in SED. In editor.c you can add further functions to a list to make them available in the editor, the editor simply writes the number of given entities in the level and the entities' names, positions, angles, scales and their function number into a simple text file, called 'level0.txt'.

F1 for help - very short.
Ctrl + Alt + E to start the editor.
RMB to turn the camera, WASD and arrwo keys to move the camera.

Its a bit cumbersome, but I hope you can understand the most of its buttons without any further explanation!

You can download it here:

Echt3D_Herbst_2009_11_05.zip

It is easy to improve and extend the editor, don't hesitate to do so, and share the results with us! wink

Thank you! laugh

C&C is welcome!

Last edited by Pappenheimer; 11/07/09 12:37.
Re: Free In Game Level Editor [Re: Pappenheimer] #282336
07/31/09 11:35
07/31/09 11:35
take me down to the paradise c...
Cowabanga Offline
Expert
Cowabanga  Offline
Expert

take me down to the paradise c...
Works great, on a very old laptop, with a weak VGA card.
but what's the point here?? A flying duck?? A running diabled turtle??

But the leveldesign is great anyway. laugh

Re: Free In Game Level Editor [Re: Cowabanga] #282343
07/31/09 11:54
07/31/09 11:54
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline OP
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
thanks for trying! smile

Press Ctrl + Alt + E,
then scroll through the models in the folder,
choose one,
create it,
move, rotate scale it in the world with the help of the arrows (click and hold on an arrow, move the mouse up and down),
choose and assign an action
and start the game to see the added model with the assigned action in the level.

Re: Free In Game Level Editor [Re: Pappenheimer] #282346
07/31/09 12:03
07/31/09 12:03
Trier, Deutschland
Nowherebrain Offline
Serious User
Nowherebrain  Offline
Serious User

Trier, Deutschland
must get to work, but I will try it out later.

Everybody Poops.
here are some tutorials I made.
http://www.acknexturk.com/blender/
Re: Free In Game Level Editor [Re: Nowherebrain] #282436
08/01/09 06:35
08/01/09 06:35
Germany
rincewind Offline
Serious User
rincewind  Offline
Serious User

Germany
Nice job, Ia m sure this will helpful, especially for those who have a hard time when trying to code (like me :-))

Have a nice weekend
Rince

Born for runes
Re: Free In Game Level Editor [Re: rincewind] #282474
08/01/09 11:33
08/01/09 11:33
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline OP
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
Great, that there's someone who found it useful! smile

I should have stressed that it is mainly meant for the users of Lite-C free, because there isn't much need for those who earn an edition which comes with WED.

It is meant to fill in the actions that you need for your game:

in Line 296 you add the name of your action or function that you want to assign to a model:

Code:
TEXT* action_strings =//die hier genannten actions müssen natürlich auch in "created_ent" aufgeführt werden
//the actions that you fill as a string in this text, must filled in in the function 'created_ent' as well
{
	strings = 15;//Anzahl der actions angeben
	string = "boden", "zweig", "Spielfigur1", "Spielfigur2", "dreh_dich_zum_spieler", "ent_little", "plant_simple", "Fliegender_Spieler", "witch_craft", "Folgende_Kamera", "zaehler1", "zaehler2", "Meine_Animation", "ente_flieg", "blaues_leuchten";
// 	flags = VISIBLE;
}

in the function 'created_ent' there is a list of the functions:

Code:
if(my._action == 0){boden();}
	if(my._action == 1){zweig();}
	if(my._action == 2){Spielfigur1();}
	if(my._action == 3){Spielfigur2();}
	if(my._action == 4){dreh_dich_zum_spieler();}
	if(my._action == 5){ent_little();}
	if(my._action == 6){plant_simple();}
	if(my._action == 7){Fliegender_Spieler();}
	if(my._action == 8){witch_craft();}
	wait(1);
	if(my._action == 9){Folgende_Kamera();}
	if(my._action == 10){zaehler1();}
	if(my._action == 11){zaehler2();}
	if(my._action == 12){Meine_Animation();}
	if(my._action == 13){ente_flieg();}
	if(my._action == 14){blaues_leuchten();}

Let's says, you have a simple action like this:
Code:
function polygon_on()
{
	set(my, POLYGON);
}

Then you add in the text at the end of the list of strings:
"polygon_on" and increase the number:
Code:
strings = 16;

And you add in the function 'created_ent':

Code:
if(my._action == 15){polygon_on();}

The difference of 16 strings ad action == 15 relates to the count of the actions which begins with zero.

The whole script has functions that are meant to be short and easy.
But there are several that aren't that easy, because it wasn't that easy, to code a nice looking gravity code (called 'schwerkraft') or to code a follower that you can push away.

BTW, a list of the already given functions:

Quote:

1. boden = ground : function for the terrain, setting polygon collision
2. zweig = branch : function that sets a simple collisionbox related to the rough shape of the model
3. Spielfigur1 = player1 : player movement with gravity and sliding and pushing and pushable: control: arrow keys and ctrl
4. Spielfigur2 = player2 : player movement with gravity and sliding and pushing and pushable: control: WASD and E
5. dreh_dich_zum_spieler = turn to player : as it says
6. ent_little = Kleine_Einheit : scans for other moving entities, follows the next entity and can be pushed
7. plant_simple = einfache Pflanze : sets transparent and passable
8. Fliegender_Spieler = flying player : this is an action from mercurious, slightly modified
9. witch_craft = Zauber : scans for moving entities and morphs it to a star sprite
10. Folgende_Kamera = following camera : a more sofisticated function: you set an entity near the entity that shall be observed by the camera. It scans for the nearest entity in the beginning of the game start. If you place two of this entities then you get splitscreen (although it doesn't always work - don't know why, yet.)
11. zaehler1 = counter1 : a target that counts te entities around it
12. zaehler2 = counter1 : a target that counts te entities around it
13. Meine_Animation = my animation : simply plays all animations of an entity in a cycle
14. ente_flieg = duck fly : a following entity : scans for other moving entities, follows the next entity and can be pushed, no gravity applied
15. blaues_leuchten = blue light : a request of a participant of the workshop : an entity emits blue light (works only under certain circumstances, is a matter of the views, but I didn't have a further look at the reasons.)

Re: Free In Game Level Editor [Re: Pappenheimer] #297196
11/05/09 22:07
11/05/09 22:07
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline OP
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/7062868/Game_Editor

Hi folks,

here is a new version of the free Game Editor.

It got a menu where you can choose between levels, game editor, languages of the interface and quit.
There are several additional functions to choose from in the editor like quest giver, quest asker & quest fulfill, level_change etc. Means there are functions where you can set skills like quest number, quest item and fill in a quest text, or sounds.
To find out how it works, look at the levels from 1 to 5 in game and in the game editor mode.
The interface to move and change an entity within the level is less cumbersome now.
Game Editor
To use it, start the "start.exe" in the main folder, or start the "start.c" from SED (that of the free Lite-C).
Feel free to look at the code as well.

Feedback is much appreciated. I hope you enjoy to have look at it.

The sounds, levels and a lot of the models are build by kids of a workshop, because of a lack of time they are mostly plain white.

Have fun!

Achim

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hallo Leute,

hier gibt es eine neue Version des freien Game Editors.
Er ist deutsch und englisch, man kann die Sprache über das Menü einstellen. Die Funktionen sind allerdings in Englisch geschrieben und deshalb auch die Namen der Funktionen.

Das Ganze ist für Workshops entstanden, in denen Kinder lernen sollen, ein Computerspiel zu machen. Deshalb sind die Töne, Level und viele der Modelle von Kindern dieses Workshops hergestellt.
Game Editor
Um den Editor oder die mit ihm erstellten Level zu starten, die "start.exe" starten, oder aus SED (der der freien Lite-C-Version) die "start.c" starten.

Man kann nun über den Editor Quests sehr einfache Quests erstellen. "Questeinstellugen" lassen sich bei Funktionen wie "quest_giver", quest_asker", "quest_fulfill", "level_change" und "ent_little" aufrufen.
Das Ganze ist natürlich noch ausbaufähig.
Deshalb freue ich mich über jede Kritik, Wünsche und Anmerkungen.

Viel Spaß!

Achim

Last edited by Pappenheimer; 11/05/09 22:11. Reason: added a picture
Re: Free In Game Level Editor [Re: Pappenheimer] #297444
11/07/09 16:10
11/07/09 16:10
Connecticut, USA
Blink Offline

Expert
Blink  Offline

Expert

Connecticut, USA
all of the great new tools are for lite-c only. my poor poor c-script. good luck, it looks great.

My Famous Quotes: "Hip hop is like a virus, infecting everyone and everything around it. Every form of media has some way,shape or form, assimilated hip hop into it." It has also mutated into other strains like, trip hop, house, rap, gangster, and conscious forms. Once you are infected with it, its with you for life."
Re: Free In Game Level Editor [Re: Blink] #297448
11/07/09 16:15
11/07/09 16:15
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline OP
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
Sorry Blink!
Maybe, it could be of help to switch from C-Script to Lite-C? laugh
It is actually my first attempt with Lite-C!
And I used Lite-C for the first time only, because I wanted to give the participants of my workshops the chance to continue after the week with me, without the need of buying any program (free Lite-C, free Teddy(modeling software), free Gimp).

EDIT:
The scripts are all free for use:
some are very unsorted, but defines.c, panels.c, sounds.c, editor.c, quests.c and some parts of simpleKI, shouldn't be too complicating - although, I confess that it has not much comments - feel free to ask.

Last edited by Pappenheimer; 11/07/09 17:34.
Re: Free In Game Level Editor [Re: Pappenheimer] #297537
11/08/09 03:15
11/08/09 03:15
Connecticut, USA
Blink Offline

Expert
Blink  Offline

Expert

Connecticut, USA
i am lost trying to convert, so i guess i will miss this one like other ones. looks great.

My Famous Quotes: "Hip hop is like a virus, infecting everyone and everything around it. Every form of media has some way,shape or form, assimilated hip hop into it." It has also mutated into other strains like, trip hop, house, rap, gangster, and conscious forms. Once you are infected with it, its with you for life."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  adoado, checkbutton, mk_1, Perro 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de