by flink. 04/14/24 07:46
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (EternallyCurious, howardR), 646 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
EternallyCurious, 11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin, rajesh7827
19046 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Re: Game design docs uploaded - please vote here! [Re: Ganderoleg] #308384
02/03/10 01:23
02/03/10 01:23
NJ
S
SirCamaris Offline
SirCamaris  Offline
S

NJ
I would also like to congratulate Superku for winning and I am also glad to be apart of this team. I saw Superku's protype video and enjoyed playing George's demo; it gave a good first feel for how the gravity aspect might work. If the player is a divinity and their image is displayed on walls within ruins, maybe the game can begin in an a complex system of underground burial chambers. The player could be mummified and emerges from a coffin after having been given their life back. As the player progresses through the game they relearn their abilities, mainly the ability to control gravity. I'm thinking underground burial chambers and such can be levels similar to what George proposed in his demo, while outdoor levels can have the feel proposed by Ganderoleg and demonstrated in moonmonkey. I like Germanunkol's idea of some objects being affected by the gravity switch; i'd like to suggest possibly telekinetic abilities controlled by the mouse. Each object being controlled can have a specific weight and the amount that can be lifted can be shown with some type of "life bar". For now I think exchanging game ideas is alright on this forumn, but once we begin development, we should be able to exchange files and comments via email or a private server. Good luck everyone.

Re: Game design docs uploaded - please vote here! [Re: SirCamaris] #308394
02/03/10 06:40
02/03/10 06:40
Hamburg, Germany
slacer Offline
Expert
slacer  Offline
Expert

Hamburg, Germany
Some story related questions.

- is there a reason why the player is able to switch the time?
- is there a goal to reach? Like resurecting his fleshy body from the burial chamber by collecting artefacts and bringing them to dangerous places? Traveling through space and time...
- the time switch could have a countdown based on collected spider webs, potions, sunlight (to found on rare places)...
- could we add moving enemies to bring the level to life instead of being within a dead maze?

Re: Game design docs uploaded - please vote here! [Re: slacer] #308395
02/03/10 06:57
02/03/10 06:57
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

Two characters connect by a rope is not really new.

Maybe have a read through this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knuckles'_Chaotix

I have this game at home and well... it is chaotic. The physics get out of control from time to time and the level design is pretty confusing. This was the major problem of the game. All levels looked the same in some way.
Not sure if it is good to follow this way - also the basic concept should not be changed THAT much anymore after it has been chosen from various ideas.

Re: Game design docs uploaded - please vote here! [Re: FBL] #308434
02/03/10 10:44
02/03/10 10:44
Bucharest, Romania
George Offline OP

Expert
George  Offline OP

Expert

Bucharest, Romania
Thank you, guys. A few notes:

First of all, the structure of the project isn't set in stone (yet). You can come up with all sorts of ideas that don't change the gameplay style dramatically (I totally agree with Firo on this).

Ganderoleg: I have tested "moonmonkey" and I think that it is a good idea to have outdoor levels such as that from time to time.

Superku: thank you. Please email me your info if you want to get involved. We need to get much more code out of the door in order to keep the game fun at its 100th level.

Germanunkol: You are right, we definitely don't want "real" physics for this game - it will break it; c_move is our best friend when we are dealing with lots of moving entities. I was also thinking at boxes with negative gravity, etc.

Slacer: I will be managing the project; I want to make sure that it is finished. We'll set up different forum threads for the various aspects of the game. We'll communicate through this forum, emails and instant messaging. We've got enough artists for now so creating levels shouldn't be a problem. I'm waiting for a few more days; I still receive emails from people that want to join the team. Then, we'll choose an artist and a programmer that will coordinate their teams; we've got a single sound guy laugh

Txesmi: I like your ideas, especially the gravity centers.

Pappenheimer: Thank you, these are good ideas! Anyone is encouraged to contributes with ideas, etc.

SirCamaris: Mixing indoor and outdoor levels is definitely a good idea. I also like the "telekinetic abilities" idea; we'll have to refine that concept and see how we can use it properly.

Slacer: Moving enemies are a must if we want to keep the game interesting.

As even the author (Superku) says it, the game idea isn't quite there yet. I've seen the simultaneous 2 player idea being implemented before and (even though it would be a nice addition) it can reduce the number of our target customers dramatically.

I don't want this project to turn into a Mario clone; we can't make it as fun as Mario is. I think that we should keep this what it was in the beginning: a game that doesn't necessarily require precise timing and great reflexes, but some thinking. Here's an idea for some of the levels: think about a Mario clone that has you exploring the room, setting it up in advance, etc. You can then open the door and the boss monster that tries to attack you will be crushed / etc. We would alternate the boss levels with levels without enemies.

Re: Game design docs uploaded - please vote here! [Re: George] #308470
02/03/10 11:56
02/03/10 11:56
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

Also how about a straight forward level, just needing to turn gravity up and down in order to overcome obstacles while some sort of crushing wall is following you?
This would mean you have to be fast and make good use of the skills as otherwise the moving wall will get you.

This could be added for a later level, where the player already has learned how to use the character's skills properly.

In case the "moving wall" is not clear, read through the chapter "Drill wall" of the Kid Chameleon Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kid_Chameleon_(video_game)

Originally Posted By: "Wikipedia"
Drill wall

There are three levels throughout the game (starting with Hills of the Warrior 1, then Forced Entry, then Bloody Swamp) that feature a giant, metal wall covered in drills and augers that sweeps across the screen at a slowly increasing pace. These levels require the player to navigate and exit the map as quickly as possible, as coming in contact with the wall instantly kills Kid. These levels have a unique music theme, which becomes useful in identifying the danger early on.

Re: Game design docs uploaded - please vote here! [Re: FBL] #308473
02/03/10 12:06
02/03/10 12:06
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
I would definitely vote for something limbo-game like. Especially the art style is <3. Have been waiting for the release of this game for years. But development has ceased long since.

Last edited by Joozey; 02/03/10 12:07.

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: Game design docs uploaded - please vote here! [Re: Joozey] #308483
02/03/10 12:58
02/03/10 12:58
Hiporope and its pain
txesmi Offline
Serious User
txesmi  Offline
Serious User

Hiporope and its pain
limbos' art style is great!! Will us be able to conceptualice and realice that fine work? I hope yes, because i'm not a.

I think that artwork deppends on gamemode, and it is not yet clear.

one more suggestion:
Traslade gravity changes to special zones player/enviroment contact:
First row is a lineal pass throught a special zone. each state is continued in its column.

This zones doesn't need to be 90º arcs. They can be ellipsoidal or poligonal with different degrees.

Images are easier for me wink

Last edited by txesmi; 02/03/10 13:05.
Re: Game design docs uploaded - please vote here! [Re: Joozey] #308486
02/03/10 13:09
02/03/10 13:09
Earth
Germanunkol Offline
Expert
Germanunkol  Offline
Expert

Earth
The animation in the limbo game is something that would require quite some programming I believe. If you look closely, his feet always touch the ground in the right way. It looks real nice and might be hard to achieve in a short time. The closer we get to it, the greater our game will be though...

Last edited by Germanunkol; 02/03/10 13:10.

~"I never let school interfere with my education"~
-Mark Twain
Re: Game design docs uploaded - please vote here! [Re: Germanunkol] #308490
02/03/10 13:33
02/03/10 13:33
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
Limbogame isn't a real game either, that's just an animated concept.

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: Game design docs uploaded - please vote here! [Re: Joozey] #308518
02/03/10 14:51
02/03/10 14:51
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline
Ganderoleg  Offline

Balkan
I think that different threads for different segments of the game is a great idea. I would love to participate, or even contribute, in subjects of game-play, storyline, music, global game level solutions but I must admit that I am mainly interested in visual part. I believe that this is where I can contribute most.

As for Limbo: I cant stop watching it! grin It is sooo ql. The artwork and atmosphere has everything I like in this kind of casual games: minimal, dark, meta-visual... you almost feel like your inside the lucid dream(nightmare) cool I would go for this art/gameplay solution in a second but I don't think it would fit the general style that this particular project is aiming for. This art concept, I think, is more for those two people projects: one programmer & one artist working on a game they both find cool & always wanted to do ...I must admit I would love for this project also to go in a bit darker more gothic or art-driven direction (George's prototype had some elements of this kind through choice of music & general atmosphere) but that's not really imperative.

I will wait for solo-threads to be formed and then pitch ideas in more length & detail but for now just a short pitch.

Maybe we could have levels that aim for partly-realistic visuals similar to Prince of Persia...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S-8E4Tanhg

These levels would allow for game to have more realistic human/animal characters.

Second would be the suggestion of zoomed visible field. Prince of Persia always has 3 floor zoom, Georges prototype has 4 to 5 and Superkus has up to 7 potential floors...

http://i64.servimg.com/u/f64/11/34/97/23/pofpfz10.jpg
http://i64.servimg.com/u/f64/11/34/97/23/george10.jpg
http://i64.servimg.com/u/f64/11/34/97/23/superk10.png

...maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to have only 2 floor visibility so that player, enemies, props & effects can be better viewed and it would add a nicer atmosphere & graphical feel to the game.

>>Demos free3DModels Tutorials<<
>>>>>>> by Pavle Nikolic <<<<<<<

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  George 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de