by jcl. 04/26/24 11:08
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (alibaba, howardR, basik85278), 756 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: No startup window upgrade? [Re: jcl] #309442
02/09/10 12:11
02/09/10 12:11
Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Paul_L_Ming Offline
User
Paul_L_Ming  Offline
User

Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Hiya

Originally Posted By: jcl

So I'm open for suggestions how to make the start window look more pretty while still displaying the logo and the startup text in it.

While I have no problems with it, my suggestion would be to make a specific program in, say, MED, that allows you to change text, background color, window shape (to pre-defined sizes), text location (left, center, right), etc. So, for example, if you are doing a "black-and-white film noir" style game, you could have the window have no 'boarder', make the background almost-white, the text black, the font Garamond and on the left, and the size to resemble the dimensions of a piece of paper. For a futuristic racing game, perhaps a wide and thin black window with gold boarder, light blue text color, centered, with some futuristic'ish looking text, and the text size a bit bigger and in italics. For the Pro folks, allow them to add a background image to the window, perhaps a drop-shadow, and transparency?

Anyway, the point would be to be able to change the general look via the engine. It would still be there, but at least having a very "programmer b/w look" opening to your historical medieval simulation could be remedied.

^_^

"We've got a blind date with destiny...and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."

-- The Shoveler

A7 Commercial (on Windows 7, 64-bit)
Re: No startup window upgrade? [Re: Paul_L_Ming] #309448
02/09/10 13:46
02/09/10 13:46
Baden Württemberg, Germany
Espér Offline
Expert
Espér  Offline
Expert

Baden Württemberg, Germany
i like the idea of a startUp-Window-Contest. And i would make one for suh a contest ^^

Selling my Acknex Engine Editions (A7 Com & A8 Pro):
>> click here if you are interested <<
Re: No startup window upgrade? [Re: ortucis] #309765
02/11/10 01:03
02/11/10 01:03
England
M
MrGuest Offline
Serious User
MrGuest  Offline
Serious User
M

England
Originally Posted By: ortucis
Originally Posted By: JulzMighty
I'm pretty sure calling Mr Guest "Mr Simples" is insulting and thus is flaming. Although, that can easily be seen as a misunderstanding if you thought Mr Guest was concluding his post with his own nickname when he said "Simples".

All your post asked for was a bunch of logos, and then you implied that users already had the ability to change the background colour -- which they can, with Pro.

I think it is clear from Mr Guest's post that he thought your post was regarding showing a logo at the start of the game, as opposed to the built-in startup screen.

I think flaming is pretty much what Joey is busy doing, he still has no idea what I was talking about (unlike you) and is still busy trolling and flaming me (Joey, scroll up and read comment #307650 please.. where I DID say something about purchasing pro).

Either way, I am not interested in flame wars here and have no issue with default A7 logo, so, good luck with that. Moving on..

Oh what fun it is to ride in a one horse open sleigh!

After using this, and many other forums, I still don't know why people get so defensive and read everything in the worst possible way it could be written...

Mr Simples
I like it, simple, stupid, to the point! call it what you want, just not sympathetic... you won't get that off of me laugh (maybe the smile will help) laugh (2 to be sure)

Originally Posted By: MrGuest
If ya don't like em... buy PRO! Simples
referring to the Logo,

If you want unlimited players on a server, buy PRO!
If you want a distributable level editor, but PRO!
If you want automatic LODding, (yep you guessed it) buy PRO!

If you want to use shaders... buy >commercial
If you want particle effects... buy >commercial

But without going on too much, why not give the designer the option/ability to design his own StartUp Window, same as what was possible with A5 and A6 (possibly A4, never used it)

Pick from prerendered logos, choose from prerendered backgrounds, choose any font, choose any position, and even support shaders on startup (even though this'll be a no, as graphics are not yet initialised)

(nearly forgot the smiley laugh )

and have no issue with default A7 logo
then shhhh!

Re: No startup window upgrade? [Re: MrGuest] #315890
03/19/10 19:46
03/19/10 19:46
USA, South Carolina.
Silence_ Offline
Silence_  Offline

USA, South Carolina.
Is it possible for you to define five or so different start up screens (where as the one we have now is the default one) that we can tell the engine with scripting which one we want to use.
This doesn't allow non pro users to make their own start up screens or edit them in any way, but allows us to choose from a list of different ones.
Can your bosses at least agree to this?
Is still think the start up-Window-Contest is a good idea, maybe you could make it so the top 5 make it in.

If "Pro" is the opposite of "Con", then is progress the opposite of congress?
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  aztec, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de