by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Imhotep, opm), 785 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 29 30
Re: Untitled Platformer - Artists' corner [Re: Ganderoleg] #309951
02/12/10 09:25
02/12/10 09:25
USA
Guardian Offline
Serious User
Guardian  Offline
Serious User

USA
Hi guys, thanks for the nice comments. txesmi, I like your little girl test also “without the stitches”.

Maybe we can do some more of this kind of artistic brain storming or concept work till we get the go ahead or a better Idea of direction.

Ganderoleg thank-you for addressing my concerns I just wanted to be up-front with things so not to cause any fuss later on.

Waiting to see what’s next.

Guardian

Guardian

Game Models
Re: Untitled Platformer - Artists' corner [Re: Guardian] #309961
02/12/10 10:44
02/12/10 10:44
Hiporope and its pain
txesmi Offline
Serious User
txesmi  Offline
Serious User

Hiporope and its pain
hi team, i believe that those brain storming are indispensable.
Let's start!

When i work with designers, we usually write a list of descriptive words and we discuss about their suitability one by one. We personally score all words (0-10) and we clarify witch attributes are best for the proyect. Then, team leader takes a decision. Normally she is who has spoken with customers, and who better knows what the proyect needs. I think lead decision is very important because we can't all be agree.

I apreciate your suggestions of drawing. I can change easily stitches by a little nose. It is done.

Salud!

Re: Untitled Platformer - Artists' corner [Re: txesmi] #310030
02/12/10 18:03
02/12/10 18:03
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline
Ganderoleg  Offline

Balkan
Hello art team,

we have instructions to speed things up so I believe there is a solution to get all things we need to do in one giant swoop. We need to build the level prototype, sett the project's visual design & at the same time see who will be more efficient at what. So here it is:

We will use George's 4 levels from Superku folder (from AUM) as a template levels, since all the wmp files are included, and The Forest Temple game is very similar to George's level concept.

Everyone from the artist team should try to design one(or all four) level using George's Superku application (wmp files) as a templates.

We are allowed to do anything(visually & with geometry) as long as it doesn't disturb the gameplay, level size or camera position(think of it as a stage setting in theater). Also 4 levels could have 4 different art styles but you don't have to do all 4 levels if you don't want to. Fell free to use blocks, mdl/wmb formats or panels.

Player model can also be replaced if someone wants to display modeling&animating ability but if you replace the model he must have walk, stand & death animations. If the player is 2D,you should create him as a single file( player+21.tga) & just put him in separate folder marked Player. Also we can add enemies that don't interact with player but stand and loop their animations.

Also there should be a Focus note(LevelFocus.txt) together with levels where creator can put what he wants the people to focus on when evaluating his levels. That way the artist will be able to put his strength into the graphical segment he thinks he can do best & leave the other segments to others.

A. Level(2D) //focus on level(images) if it's made in 2D
B. Level(3D) //focus on level geometry if it's made in 3D
C. Level props (2D) //focus on 2D level props
D. Level props (3D) //focus on 3D level props
E. Backgrounds(2D) //focus on quality of background images
F. Textures //focus on texture quality
G. Player(3D) //focus on player model & animation
H. Enemies(3D) //focus on enemies models & animations

That way, after the choosing of the best combination of artwork from levels(Artist_X:textures, Artist_Y:level props...) there will be immediately visible who will work on what part of the project graphics. I believe that all levels should have one theme so that we can easily compare the styles and design. Let's say the theme is castle(futuristic, medieval, ancient...).

If someone has some questions/suggestions we will wait until the Saturday evening and then it's on.

Best of luck to us all.

Last edited by Ganderoleg; 02/13/10 01:18.

>>Demos free3DModels Tutorials<<
>>>>>>> by Pavle Nikolic <<<<<<<

Re: Untitled Platformer - Artists' corner [Re: Ganderoleg] #310085
02/12/10 22:15
02/12/10 22:15
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline
Ganderoleg  Offline

Balkan
...just wanted to add that disturbing the gameplay means that player must be able to do all the actions that he must do in a level in order to exit, and level size means level-frame size. Camera position & arc also should not be changed.

As for other things: you can make player bigger, or rearrange the platforms, make the platforms bigger, make doors smaller or bigger... what ever you find to fit your level design idea smile

Re: Untitled Platformer - Artists' corner [Re: Ganderoleg] #310096
02/12/10 23:18
02/12/10 23:18
Hiporope and its pain
txesmi Offline
Serious User
txesmi  Offline
Serious User

Hiporope and its pain
Sorry but i can't understand at all. I understand that the level has to be seen at once in the screen like in AUM superku and the forest temple, is it right? no side scrolling?

Another little question: when you write player+21.tga, are you stablishing animations to 7 frames each or is it just an example?

One more: must presented style designs be playable as a level? with puzzles etc?

When is the rough deadline of this step?

Sorry but my wellthunbed collins doesn't help me in many cases laugh

Re: Untitled Platformer - Artists' corner [Re: txesmi] #310098
02/12/10 23:37
02/12/10 23:37
Connecticut, USA
Blink Offline

Expert
Blink  Offline

Expert

Connecticut, USA
i am a bit overwhelmed, and i dont know where i fit in here. what can i do to help?

My Famous Quotes: "Hip hop is like a virus, infecting everyone and everything around it. Every form of media has some way,shape or form, assimilated hip hop into it." It has also mutated into other strains like, trip hop, house, rap, gangster, and conscious forms. Once you are infected with it, its with you for life."
Re: Untitled Platformer - Artists' corner [Re: Blink] #310112
02/13/10 01:12
02/13/10 01:12
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline
Ganderoleg  Offline

Balkan
@Txes

*Yes, The Forest Temple is somewhat of a guideline so, for now, we should avoid side-scrolling, and this way, when is finished, it will be easier to compare our level designs.
*Player+21.tga is just example. It can be +X.
*We should use George's 4 levels (level1.wmp to level4.wmp) as templates- so were inheriting the playability. Only things that are to stay the same are: gameplay, level-frame size & camera. You just take, let's say, level1.wmp and redesign it.
*We didn't establish the deadline but I guess we should all finish our design proposals in about 7-10 days time. It's not yet set.

@Blink

Everyone from the artist team should try to design one(or all four) level using George's Superku application as a template. As I sad, each member of the team can make his own focus while creating his level/levels- so you needn't pay much attention to the things that you feel you don't wanna do.

I didn't mention the music because it's not part of visual design but it can, of course, be changed also.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Artists' corner [Re: Ganderoleg] #310170
02/13/10 14:30
02/13/10 14:30
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline
Ganderoleg  Offline

Balkan
My pc is at the moment under the virus & I'm afraid that problems are becoming severe so I will have to take some actions frown This will make me unreachable for at least 24h or more since I must do virus scannings and maybe even repair or reinstall my Xp.

The thing I failed to mention is that the player, if you are going to replace George's player model, should be replaced with model of brother or sister character. Since you are free to make four different level-style designs, it will be impossible to make him fit to all of them(i think? confused ).

So, if you are making more then one level-design solution, unless you are willing to make more then one player-design solution(and use ent_morph or something), you should make your player model fit the style of your first level or put note in Focus text to what level player is designed to correspond to. If you haven't made him to correspond to any design presented in you levels, just put 0 in you Focus text.
If your doing the 2D player you should also do the same thing.

...and most important note...
The main thing here is functionality & concept unity. Every member of the team should be able to just run George's Superku application, that you redesigned, and play your redesigned levels as they are meant to be played in their original state(doesn't have to be exactly the same as I already mentioned).
Click to reveal..
...just wanted to add that disturbing the gameplay means that player must be able to do all the actions that he must do in a level in order to exit, and level size means level-frame size. Camera position & arc also should not be changed.

As for other things: you can make player bigger, or rearrange the platforms, make the platforms bigger, make doors smaller or bigger... what ever you find to fit your level design idea

We are to redesign the visual elements not gameplay, main level concepts or camera-views.

smile Have a nice art-dayS smile

Re: Untitled Platformer - Artists' corner [Re: Ganderoleg] #310484
02/15/10 00:34
02/15/10 00:34
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline
Ganderoleg  Offline

Balkan
I just seen (and played) SirCamaris redesigned level No.1 and I must say that's exactly what I had in mind when it comes to redesigning smile

He preserved the gameplay(changed it a bit without damaging the main concept), preserved the level-frame size, preserved camera position and created the new level geometry solution, which is also the focus of his design.

I have only one concern regarding his gameplay modification, since it haven't yet been decided if we are to go with 3D or 2D characters(and level-depth could potentially be the problem when it comes to 2D animated characters), but that's something that we are all to discuss later on...

Last edited by Ganderoleg; 02/15/10 00:35.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Artists' corner [Re: Ganderoleg] #310574
02/15/10 17:59
02/15/10 17:59
NJ
S
SirCamaris Offline
SirCamaris  Offline
S

NJ
Thanks for the compliment Ganderoleg. I just uploaded two more levels on the sky-drive. I tried experimenting with the time shift ability and how it affects the environment. I'm not sure if using a 2D player will affect depth perception that much, player sprite should recede into distance when moving in that direction. So far, the 3D model appears to work well.

Page 5 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 29 30

Moderated by  George 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de