by flink. 04/14/24 07:46
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (ozgur, TipmyPip), 722 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin
19047 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 30 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 29 30
Re: Untitled Platformer - Artists' corner [Re: SirCamaris] #310594
02/15/10 20:20
02/15/10 20:20
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline
Ganderoleg  Offline

Balkan
@SirCamaris
I liked your two new levels, the hole level & spike level smile ...but I must admit that your first geometry design was much more advanced & impressionable. It seems you are turning your attention more on project gameplay and programming then on project design. I may be wrong, but your new two levels should have been more geometry-driven since your design Focus is level geometry.

You are right about 2D characters- when I gave it more time I realized that there shouldn't be any problems. I'm sure that, with good programming, they can work with depth-levels just as good as the 3D model.

@Txes
I downloaded your first level redesign and it is great! cool
I like the way you managed to get rid of level square-frame and still preserve the level-frame size.
My personal, overall impression of the style is very positive: colors are well balanced, details are nicely blended and your layer system is both very discrete and very precisely contrasted.

There is just one thing: you have replaced the 3D boy character with your 2D sister character but she doesn't have any animations confused There is nothing in your Focus about it so I don't know if you are planning to animate her and present her as your main player character design or she is there just for fun.

>>Demos free3DModels Tutorials<<
>>>>>>> by Pavle Nikolic <<<<<<<

Re: Untitled Platformer - Artists' corner [Re: Ganderoleg] #310609
02/15/10 21:53
02/15/10 21:53
NJ
S
SirCamaris Offline
SirCamaris  Offline
S

NJ
@Ganderoleg
Thank you for your comments. You are right; I did step aside from my original focus to experiment with gameplay. I will do better to make future levels more like the original.

@Txes
I tried your level and think your graphics are great. I didn't examine your code that closely, but I'm gussing that you placed panels with level images on top of your geometry. If we can somehow combine both of our techniques, maybe we can develop a method which guides all of our level making going forward.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Artists' corner [Re: Ganderoleg] #310631
02/16/10 01:38
02/16/10 01:38
NJ
S
SirCamaris Offline
SirCamaris  Offline
S

NJ
Hello everyone,

I added one more level (the fourth) to the untitled platformer demo. This level, as per Ganderoleg's suggestion, returns to my original focus, which is geometry. You can download it on the sky-drive under 2/15/10.zip. I had re-uploaded the original file with the fourth level addition. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. I appreciate your continued feedback. Any suggestions to make things better, let me know. SirCamaris

Re: Untitled Platformer - Artists' corner [Re: SirCamaris] #310649
02/16/10 09:47
02/16/10 09:47
Earth
Germanunkol Offline
Expert
Germanunkol  Offline
Expert

Earth
Woot! Love the whole "find the hidden passage" thing. We should definitely go for multi-lane, if that's possible. Problem is that it really doesn't work with an isometric view.

Even without the 2d walking we could still hide passages though, using geometry infront of the passage...

~"I never let school interfere with my education"~
-Mark Twain
Re: Untitled Platformer - Artists' corner [Re: Germanunkol] #310654
02/16/10 11:19
02/16/10 11:19
Bucharest, Romania
George Offline OP

Expert
George  Offline OP

Expert

Bucharest, Romania
Just wanted to let you know that I have checked out SirCamaris' and Txesmi's work and I liked it a lot. Keep up the good work, guys!

Re: Untitled Platformer - Artists' corner [Re: SirCamaris] #310659
02/16/10 11:53
02/16/10 11:53
Hiporope and its pain
txesmi Offline
Serious User
txesmi  Offline
Serious User

Hiporope and its pain
Hi friends,
i'm really glad for your words. They tranquillize me somehow.

@SirCamaris
You are right: The panel clones block geometry. I'm focused in visuals so our works are totally mixable!

@Ganderoleg
I've to admit that i inserted my little girl for certain that she was against design instructions, but i have not any 2D character example to work with. Anyway, she is a clear example of how pure colors (Red, green & blue) fit on my design.

I've never properly animated a character so i can't focus my work on this task. I could try it but i'm certainly better on 2D enviroment drawing. I would like to know if someone in the team is drawing a 2D or 3D character. What do you think? Should i try it?

Next day (i think thursday) i will try to complete my level with elements like a gem, a box, a button, a lever, etc, with simple animations and i will try to include almost one dynamic hornamental effect. I don't think that i have enought time to finish all my proposals but i will try to take time below stones. laugh

Re: Untitled Platformer - Artists' corner [Re: txesmi] #310683
02/16/10 14:46
02/16/10 14:46
Earth
Germanunkol Offline
Expert
Germanunkol  Offline
Expert

Earth
@ Txesmi
Yes, I'd say please try making the character. The more ideas we have to choose from, the better, and right now we have none tongue

As for cloning the level geometry using sprites: My art example uses the exact same method. Problem I'm having right now: how do you place it in the level? Drawing the thing and then adjusting the level geometry to it is rather a pain because WED doesn't show the contents of sprites, only rectangles... or am I wrong?

We could get screenshots of the level geometry and then draw on those screenshots, but that's a long process as well, depending on how many levels we make.
I'm thinking about a way to code it: if you have a transparent image maybe we could make 3dgs place blocks (map entities) wherever the image is not transparent... that sort of thing...

~"I never let school interfere with my education"~
-Mark Twain
Re: Untitled Platformer - Artists' corner [Re: Germanunkol] #310718
02/16/10 17:28
02/16/10 17:28
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline
Ganderoleg  Offline

Balkan
@Txes
I agree with Germanunkol- the more artwork to choose from the better. I will also try to make my 2D/3D character design proposals and I hope that there will be a few more.

@Germanunkol
The automatic filling of the non-transparent parts of the panel with geometry is a great idea cool ..but we shouldn't rush with this code, since it hasn't yet been decided if game is going to have 2D or 3D levels. But if George and our two teams decide on 2D levels we should consider it to be one of the options. I'm sure that, if this can be done, George or someone from the programmers team will know how to do it.

@SirCamaris
Your last level is really lots of fun grin I believe that level-depth should definitely be considered as a must in this project regardless of environment concept(2D/3D).

Last edited by Ganderoleg; 02/16/10 17:29.

>>Demos free3DModels Tutorials<<
>>>>>>> by Pavle Nikolic <<<<<<<

Re: Untitled Platformer - Artists' corner [Re: Ganderoleg] #310776
02/16/10 22:37
02/16/10 22:37
Hiporope and its pain
txesmi Offline
Serious User
txesmi  Offline
Serious User

Hiporope and its pain
Comrades, i'm nervous to see your works!
i'll try girl character animations.

@Germanunkol
I put my design as block texture to see it in WED. But i think is the wrong way. I needed to enable a single point grid and it is not good.

In my opinion, redraw a screenshoted level is as hard as draw it from start, almost with coreldraw, and it secures that limit exactly fits with geometry. An automatic fill could be the finest solution but i can't imagine how manage complex levels. Let coders opine about this.

@SirCamaris
Loved your tricks. They put me in a hurry for a moment. We will need many of those.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Artists' corner [Re: txesmi] #310789
02/16/10 23:49
02/16/10 23:49
NJ
S
SirCamaris Offline
SirCamaris  Offline
S

NJ
To Germanunkol, Ganderoleg, Txesmi, George

Thank you for taking the time to try the levels I posted and for your comments on them. I really appreciate it and I'm glad you enjoyed them. Going forward, I think we should find a way to merge our focuses. Txesmi, I'm glad to hear that we can combine your 2D artwork with some of my geometry. Germanunkol, do you have any preferences on whether the brother/sister models should be 2D or 3D?

Page 6 of 30 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 29 30

Moderated by  George 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de