by TipmyPip. 04/27/24 13:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (vicknick, 7th_zorro, 1 invisible), 890 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: New coding languages [Re: ventilator] #311837
02/21/10 18:47
02/21/10 18:47
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

The problem of Lite-C is that it is C minus sth plus sth else.

The plus is fine and it's great as it is geared to make use of the engine easier, but it if it already called C I'd expect the compiler to be able to compile ANY C command and any C notation.

This unfortunately is not fully the case. I hope they're going to change this in the future.

Re: New coding languages [Re: FBL] #311856
02/21/10 20:34
02/21/10 20:34
H
HeelX Offline
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline
Senior Expert
H

Instead of asking for languages I would vote for a complete tutorial for setting up a Visual Studio environment and how to write a game in C++ while inventing a pattern that bridges the gap between Lite-C, C++ and the wait(1) paradigma. This is hard, I am thinking about this now for months (while not being able to develop games at the moment). Make Gamestudio more C++ friendly, and I mean object orientated C++, not that C style stuff.

Re: New coding languages [Re: HeelX] #311863
02/21/10 21:33
02/21/10 21:33
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
Why does everyone talk about replacing lite-c? Nobody said lite-c should be replaced, but extended. A port to a new language instead of only C/C++. Although I don't see the point in having a hook to Java other than "convenience". It's more advisable to learn C++ straight away as C++ allows more than Java does on win32 systems, which is what 3dgs is designed for. Javascript may be more flexible than lite-c, but it's generally equally easy when you take in account all other factors, plus you will only be limited more (don't know javascript that well but I think the extra possibilities you get on javascript-side will not make up for the limitations you create with it on engine-side.

Last edited by Joozey; 02/21/10 21:35.

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: New coding languages [Re: Joozey] #311884
02/22/10 01:27
02/22/10 01:27
MMike Offline
Serious User
MMike  Offline
Serious User

this topic is somehow odd. Lite-c could be extended but dont need to replace.. its like we changed from wdl to lite-c then, another comes, well this can't be changing all the time..

If you love jva you start visual C++ and do it from scratch...

Other than extending coding capabilities i see no sense on this.

Re: New coding languages [Re: MMike] #311891
02/22/10 02:13
02/22/10 02:13
United Kingdom
DJBMASTER Offline
Serious User
DJBMASTER  Offline
Serious User

United Kingdom
The C# wrapper is the most powerful solution at the moment, in my opinion and C# is much easier to get started with than C++. The .NET framework is just awesome.

Life is just so much simpler. I'm writing an application now that creates entities, sets some values and adds them to a list for later use. In Lite-C/C++ this is a nightmare, as you have to handle the memory allocation yourself. In C# it's just List<Entity>.Add(new Entity(bla...));

I know I probably sound like a right fanboy, but I'm just so impressed in how long it takes to develop a program in C#, compared to C++.

If you want all the OOP side of C++ (without the multiple inheritence), and all the graphics power of acknex, then have a go at C#.

Of course conitec shouldn't change the language too much, because lite-c is a nice little language. We just need support for classes, operator overloading, better string handling, etc.

Just my thoughts...

Re: New coding languages [Re: DJBMASTER] #311900
02/22/10 02:57
02/22/10 02:57
MMike Offline
Serious User
MMike  Offline
Serious User

i think the string handling is fair enought.. the char its just great..

char a = "hello"

and modifiyng char strings by a="modify" .. without the str_cpy..

Re: New coding languages [Re: DJBMASTER] #312013
02/22/10 20:03
02/22/10 20:03
Germany, BW, Stuttgart
MasterQ32 Offline
Expert
MasterQ32  Offline
Expert

Germany, BW, Stuttgart
I didn't try the c#-wrapper yet, but c# was my first programming language an i LOVE it.
Look, how much code do you need in lite-c to read out a simple file and store the values to something. In c# you have minimal one Line:
Code:
string[] data = File.ReadAllLines("test.txt");

Now you have as string array with all lines of the file test.txt.
Also the compiler has much more better error handling. And your errors are clear.
Something like this code is the best way to debug some problems you can't debug with the debugger laugh
Code:
try
{
	Game();
}
catch(Exeption ex)
{
	MessageBox.Show(ex.Message);
}

Now you have a very good information, if any error occurs.

So i think, this is a good language to write games.

Visit my site: www.masterq32.de
Re: New coding languages [Re: MasterQ32] #312209
02/23/10 18:04
02/23/10 18:04
Hessen, Germany
T
Tempelbauer Offline
Expert
Tempelbauer  Offline
Expert
T

Hessen, Germany
i like c# too laugh
in c# you can code very clear and fast

you should try the c# wrapper wink
alternatively, there some other game engines using c#: the OGRE-engine also has a Wrapper. Or you use the XNA-framework by microsoft

but i prefer gamestudio. even i have to code in c-script (im using A6)

Re: New coding languages [Re: MasterQ32] #312225
02/23/10 19:41
02/23/10 19:41
Cambridge
Joey Offline
Expert
Joey  Offline
Expert

Cambridge
Originally Posted By: DJBMASTER
I'm writing an application now that creates entities, sets some values and adds them to a list for later use. In Lite-C/C++ this is a nightmare, as you have to handle the memory allocation yourself. In C# it's just List<Entity>.Add(new Entity(bla...));

no, it isn't, that doesn't look like a valid code snippet to me; Add is no static member of List. even in c# you need two lines for that.
look here:
http://www.opserver.de/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=202423

then it's:
Code:
llist *list = new_llist();
list_add(list, ent_create(...));

Originally Posted By: MMike
the char its just great..
char a = "hello"

do you mean string a?

Originally Posted By: Richi007
Something like this code is the best way to debug some problems you can't debug with the debugger laugh
Code:
try
{
	Game();
}
catch(Exeption ex)
{
	MessageBox.Show(ex.Message);
}

you're right that it is more painful to debug lite-c code than it is to debug with the visual studio, but that's not a feature of c#. exception handling is useful but code like yours doesn't solve problems, it just shows you that there is a problem, which is not the purpose of this language feature.

to add my opinion to this thread, i feel that people think with c# they'll be able to develop games more easily and faster. that's wrong. if you can't write your game in c, you can't write it in javascript or c#. why? because you're bypassing the most simple things in game development like arrays and reading files. this is basic knowledge and with, say, 10000 lines of your own code you have an equally powerful code set which is both faster and more flexible. and then people who don't know how to read a file and store it in strings with a7 don't know the engine very well. the .net library is an easy-to-use and extremely powerful collection of functions that noone really knows by heart, but if you're giving me examples of how easy it is to create entities in c# or to have lists or whatever you have mentioned it will just make me laugh. c# is so much more.

Originally Posted By: Richi007
Look, how much code do you need in lite-c to read out a simple file and store the values to something. In c# you have minimal one Line:
Code:
string[] data = File.ReadAllLines("test.txt");

that's exactly what i'm talking about. honestly, if you're not good at english, you start learning french, and then, because you're not good at french you try chinese? c# is not the answer to everything.

Code:
TEXT* lines = {strings = 2000; }
txt_load(lines, "test.txt");

does the very same job. that's a damn lot of lines.

sorry if my words sound a bit harsh but i felt like here were some people discussing a matter they haven't really understood in first place.

Re: New coding languages [Re: Joey] #312264
02/23/10 22:59
02/23/10 22:59
A
amy Offline
amy  Offline
A

The point isn't that Lite-C is too hard. The point is that it's very cumbersome to do some things and that even professional programmers are more productive with higher level languages. Or why did languages like C# become so popular in the first place?

Quote:
this is basic knowledge and with, say, 10000 lines of your own code you have an equally powerful code set which is both faster and more flexible.

Are you kidding me? So this is Gamestudio's selling point? tongue "Our language is so low level and old school that you first have to write 10000 lines of code to provide standard features of more modern other languages."

I am sure the average Gamestudio user will have a lot of fun writing all the infrastructure for linked lists, hash-tables and so on. tongue I really doubt that the result would be faster and more flexible.

At least Lite-C should come with an official standard library.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  aztec, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de