by jcl. 04/26/24 11:08
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 744 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sorcerers #316161
03/22/10 00:48
03/22/10 00:48
8 Images
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline OP
Sorcerers

Hello all,

I am sure that some of you, that actively participated in George Dan Pirvu's contest for the best game design document in order to create the community game, find this post in showcase to be old news grin The reason why I'm posting(or better re-vitalizing) Sorcerers project is because I still haven't gave up on this idea and also still haven't found why this project received so little attention when brought to contest for voting.

I must admit that in reasonable future, after the completion of Untitled Platformer & Blade Of Power, I attend to continue work on this project with Dimme and most probably try to find interested programmer/programmers to do the game's code and, perhaps, online support if project begins to move in that direction.

So if I'm to pursue this thing in reasonable future I wanted to find out what are exactly the most problematic aspects of this project.

For those that are not interested in reading the entire game design document here is a short abstract of the game's concept:
Click to reveal..
Sorcerers is a 3D, turn-based, room-based, quick-strategy game that puts you in the role of a wizard whose goal is to gain dominance over three other wizards in the various temples and castles.
It combines turn-based, time-limited, full 3D movement through level together with turn-based, static battle system. The players turns are limited to one minute while the battle-turns are not limited nor included in one-minute playing-turn.
Wizards must plant Manna & Guardian rods during their turn in order to enhance their manna-count or create the Guardian(warrior) to protect their rooms. Manna is important for various upgrades in strength, spells & speed of the Wizard, his disciple & his Guardians.

...and here are things that are noted & considered to be gameplay-killers & also gameplay enhancement suggestions:
Click to reveal..
01. Waiting for your turn can last up to three minutes without battles, or much longer with battles.
02. Game has no story or the story must be somehow relevant to the gameplay in order for game to be more then just a pointless skirmish.
03. Hot-seat is to much retro for 1st person game.
04. Level-design should be directed toward avoiding the repetitiveness
05. Battle attack-dynamic should speed up, each attack shouldn't last more then 3 seconds
06. There should be more spells & spell-branch specializing for all characters
07. Sorcerer should be able to choose/carry various equipment
08. Sorcerer should be able to choose among different battle companions
09. Battle-system should be more straightforward, simpler & clearer to avoid confusion
10. The interaction between wizard and enemies during the battle should be more concrete.
11. Exploration parts should be more interesting, with secret areas & rooms.
12. Rod-plantings should be quicker.
13. Levels should also have big rooms(rooms should vary in scale).
14. HUD, battle statistics & texts should be simpler & more visual, and their display should be optional.

I would appreciate any feedback on how to enhance the gameplay of this project without deconstructing the main aspects: turn-based play & static-battle system.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
SORCERERS 3D Showcase Application can be downloaded using this link:
http://www.filefront.com/17278917/Sorcerers.zip
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
>Ganderoleg<

15 Comments
Re: Sorcerers [Re: roflmaster] #316504
03/24/10 14:52
03/24/10 14:52
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline OP
Ganderoleg  Offline OP

Balkan
@Ratchet
Very good feedback smile I added parts that I find very useful to the gameplay-killer & enhancement list.

Adding more layers to the exploration of rooms is a good idea. Maybe there should be some secret areas & rooms, or even some sort of secret corridors that player can use to navigate more quickly through level.

I know that turn-counter seems useless now but it will be very important aspect of the game once the turn-system is implemented since it will be the only thing that tells the player how much time he has left in his turn. At that point the planting of rods will also kick-in since you will have to calculate if it will be more important to use remaining time to plant or to use remaining time to explore. I do agree though that rod-planting time should be cut in half.

As for character models they are not even a wip but borrowed from early versions of Blade Of Power grin and they were my first attempt of designing and animating the character.

The video is great and those effects are something that would be great to have. I still have no idea on what to do & how to do with effects for this project.

You are right about the HUD & stats- they should be simpler & more visual, and their display should be optional.

Re: Sorcerers [Re: Ganderoleg] #318316
04/07/10 02:12
04/07/10 02:12
USA, Florida
3dworld Offline
3dworld  Offline

USA, Florida
Have you been working on a new demo? Well I'm glad you you are working to improve the game-play. I'm basically a character designer, modeler, animator and I love the textured process, and let me tell you that if that was your first intent of an animation GOOD JOB!! laugh .
I agree regarding to the graphic options. You should give the option to the player to enable and disable or low the graphic detail (that will definitely will be huge advance) even though the graphics are awesome not everybody can play the games with highest graphic level of detail.

I hope to play a new demo. I really like were you go with this idea.
Keep Up the good job, men. If you need any advice about animation , textures etc. I'll be more than glad to help you.

No matter what people tell you,  words and ideas can change the world.
Re: Sorcerers [Re: 3dworld] #319005
04/11/10 13:21
04/11/10 13:21
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline OP
Ganderoleg  Offline OP

Balkan
@3DWorld
Thanx smile The non-wizard character was my first finalized animation work done for the Blade Of Power project.

The new demo, when done, will probably be much different since Dimme & me are considering a completely new visual approach, one that would fit, based on the suggestions that we received here, a quick, simple, funny & skirmish-based game. We were thinking of the 3rd person view, more colorful graphic surroundings & even 2D characters that would be made to fit some sort of semi-cartoon art approach.

The real development of the game, however, will have to wait until the Untitled Platformer, project that we are doing with George Dan Pirvu, is finished or at least close to finished.

Btw thanx for offering your help, it's very appreciated smile

>>Demos free3DModels Tutorials<<
>>>>>>> by Pavle Nikolic <<<<<<<

Re: Sorcerers [Re: Ganderoleg] #320599
04/22/10 22:45
04/22/10 22:45
USA, Florida
3dworld Offline
3dworld  Offline

USA, Florida
Any changes so far?

No matter what people tell you,  words and ideas can change the world.
Re: Sorcerers [Re: 3dworld] #320712
04/23/10 21:19
04/23/10 21:19
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline OP
Ganderoleg  Offline OP

Balkan
No changes at the moment, thanx for checking smile

I am very short on time because of my work on Untitled Platformer & a small Masters Of The Universe tribute project that is almost finished.

Also Dimme & me are considering of making the old Blade Of Power demo available for download. We wanted to finish up number of things(...new friendly NPC & enemy models, more advanced AI, new battle system, better shaders & PPEs...) and make a more up-to-date demo but the development of the project is now on hold & we are not sure when it will be continued.

So it may not be a bad idea to upload that demo just to have something hanging on the web until we go at it again grin

Re: Sorcerers [Re: Ganderoleg] #341148
09/11/10 19:33
09/11/10 19:33
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline OP
Ganderoleg  Offline OP

Balkan
For some unknown reason almost all my uploads on FileFront have been deleted & I had to upload a number of them again. The process is not yet finished but I re-uploaded Sorcerers & updated the link.

..and here is also the link:
http://www.filefront.com/17278917/Sorcerers.zip

Enjoy & have fun smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  jcl, Realspawn, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de