by flink. 04/14/24 07:46
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 672 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin
19047 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project [Re: Liamissimo] #332397
07/09/10 13:40
07/09/10 13:40
Innsbruck, Austria
sPlKe Offline
Expert
sPlKe  Offline
Expert

Innsbruck, Austria
yes. but that was a gag. dont take everything serious i say. learn to read the humor out of it. it is fun while it lasts^^

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project [Re: sPlKe] #332398
07/09/10 13:42
07/09/10 13:42
USA, Florida
3dworld Offline
3dworld  Offline

USA, Florida
Hello Spike. I've been washing everything you have right trough the post.
Dude, this is not really friendly regarding to how a "collaboration community" should be. Besides, if he wants to create a Predator game is his problem not yours. I think you should use your time doing some positive critic instead of been a jackass.
One more little detail: If you think that his models sucks, dude take a look to your models before start talk. They really look bad and the concept poor. I think you should to something productive with your live.

P.S.: This is not to start a war...like I shoot you shoot or whatever. I prefer let does thinks to the women. And before you replay think what your going to write...it's just an advice...I've been in the CG industry for more than 8 years I know what I'm talking about wink.

Take care.

No matter what people tell you,  words and ideas can change the world.
Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project [Re: 3dworld] #332402
07/09/10 13:57
07/09/10 13:57
Innsbruck, Austria
sPlKe Offline
Expert
sPlKe  Offline
Expert

Innsbruck, Austria
if you are 8 years in the industry, you should know that EVERYONE is entiteled to opinion and critism, with our without being able to do better. and belive me, you DO NOT KNOW what i am writing or thinking.

thing is, i think you gravely misunderstood the concept of what i do. i do not make models. i never made a model in my life. nor do i do the basic concept of a model.

no, i take things i can find for free on the internet and adapt them to suit my needs. i created 2 comercial games up to this point. 5 freeware games, some of them released, some not yet. i am working on several projects at the same time, two of them probably beign released this year.

and i do all of that without ever modeling one model. so if you want to fault my models, fault the models creators, not me. i am grateful for all the free recources i can find on the internet. they do not look much to you, dear sir, since you are an industry pro that just randomly happens to find itself on the 3D GameStudio boards. I am just somebody who tried to be nice and reasonable for years, without anyone ever listening to what i say until they failed precicely for the same reason i told them they would fail.

now, i just state the obvious, things nobody dares to say because we are all nice and friendly.

you, dear professional, are entiteled to your opinion the same way i am. you may not like the way i tell the truth, but it is the truth nonetheless. i accept your critism on my person, my work and the work of the amazing people i have the luck to work with. so, please, return the favour and accept the way i handle things myself. and maybe, just maybe, you could share some of your 8 year professinalism with the community and tell our dear friends here, who were nothing but supportive to the sad chap that originally had this idea of a fan game, and tell him, them and us in general, what you REALLY think of his idea, his project and his work in general.

or you can once again be completely silent and just raise your finger again to "nonono" me when i again do what i do. but that is the least helpful method. to any of us.

thank you for probably accurately guessing what i was about to say and good day to you, and all your professional co-workers in the industry.

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project [Re: sPlKe] #332406
07/09/10 14:18
07/09/10 14:18
Spain
painkiller Offline OP
Serious User
painkiller  Offline OP
Serious User

Spain
sPIKe, then why do you talk bad about my predator model if it wasn't created by me?

Yo also don't know anything about me, you don't know if i'm a noob or not, or if i'll be able to create the game or not.

Last edited by painkiller; 07/09/10 14:18.

3D Gamestudio A8 Pro
AMD FX 8350 4.00 Ghz
16GB RAM
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 4GB
Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project [Re: painkiller] #332407
07/09/10 14:21
07/09/10 14:21
Innsbruck, Austria
sPlKe Offline
Expert
sPlKe  Offline
Expert

Innsbruck, Austria
because the model is bad. i talk bad about the person who made it. and i KNOW that you cannot create the game -.-

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project [Re: sPlKe] #332408
07/09/10 14:23
07/09/10 14:23
Germany
F
fogman Offline
Expert
fogman  Offline
Expert
F

Germany
It´s never bad to help people, even if one has no advantages when he do so.
It´s called (back in the 70s) "social age" (soziales alter).
To help someone without getting any advantages from it is significant for the highest social age. wink
That doesn´t mean, that you have to damage yourself.
Spike, why don´t you just overread this thread?

Let him learn his lesson.

Last edited by fogman; 07/09/10 14:25.

no science involved
Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project [Re: fogman] #332409
07/09/10 14:35
07/09/10 14:35
innsbruck, austria
achaziel Offline
Serious User
achaziel  Offline
Serious User

innsbruck, austria
i just wanted to say something (nope, not about spike, i have exactly the same opinion), but as fogman already put it.... "let him(/them) learn his (/their) lesson."

Yeah, but... Who is Lu?
Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project [Re: fogman] #332410
07/09/10 14:41
07/09/10 14:41
Red Dwarf
Michael_Schwarz Offline
Senior Expert
Michael_Schwarz  Offline
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf
I have followed this topic since the beginning, and now I just have to - as we say in Germany - add my own mustard.

I'll take some honest critique any day, even if it's a punch under the line, over some brainwashed, unicorn blood sprinkled "oh that is so awesome" answer.

Critique can heavily influence how a game developer sees his own project, and I have experienced that on my own. My first level of my game Portico looked really, really bad. I didn't notice at first, because there is always some self-pride in something you create on your own. Later I still didn't notice because all the answers I got on it were "awesome" "i like it!" "moar plox!!!11!1!!!". Such stuff really messes with your perception. It was only after I took some months break from the project, due to work, and looked at it again with a fresh, objective mind, that I realized how bad it looked. And only then I got my arse up to look closer at portal, and analyze the lightning, the textures, shadows and in the end created a level that I can honestly say looks good.

So maybe it hurts you when people say bad things, and even if they don't give you constructive critizism, it is a good reminder to yourself to look at your own project again. Compare it to something else as a baseline and then see if you really did some good work, or if that evil bastard actually was right.

So regarding your project: The model looks shitty, yes, and I don't have much modeling experience, but I can appreciate good artwork and differentiate between good and bad. And your model (even if you didn't make it) is plain and simply shitty. That's the honest critique here, and there is no prettifying it. It's as simple as that.

The people kept saying that you should just start smaller, use something NOT copyrighted. So why not do that? Invent an alien of your own, maybe with tentacles on the head, hooves for feet and long scary fingernails and call it a Hunter instead of Predator. There problem solved. Instead of trying to come up with counter arguments, try to use that anger to try and SHOW HIM that you CAN do BETTER! Show him that you are not that stupid noob, show him that you CAN!

And if you can't, learn from that lesson. People learn from failures, people don't listen. To crash and burn, that is how you learn that you can or cannot do something. The bottomline is: You never know until you try. So TRY. Make it BETTER. Do IT!

"Sometimes JCL reminds me of Notch, but more competent" ~ Kiyaku
Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project [Re: fogman] #332412
07/09/10 14:45
07/09/10 14:45
Innsbruck, Austria
sPlKe Offline
Expert
sPlKe  Offline
Expert

Innsbruck, Austria
i cant. it is one of my, if not THE biggest character flaw, that i just cant stay out of something i personally deem wrong. wether its my personal real life or here, if i see something i consider to be wrong, i say somethigna bout it, do something about it. it may not be the best modus operandi for this community but somebody has to do it.

imagine: he actually creates this game. not a likely chance but just imagine. it may look like crap and play like crap but he creates it. and releases it. and then, peolle talk him down, even WORSE than i do right here, right now. he may even get sued because of copyright infridgement. and then he will think back and say: why did nobody told me my game is bland, ugly, boring and violating a copyright? they all just said its fine its a fangame, it looks okay just go ahead. and thats ONCE AGAIN (because i do this rant ONCE A YEAR, seriously) the problem with the community.

if you work on a project, you get what we call "betriebsblind" it basically means you get blind to some obvious errors because you invest so much time. EVERYONE has it, and everyone who says he doesnt have it is either a stupid idiot or lying. EVERYONE has it. thats why professionals work in groups. thats why testers exist. thats why test screenings for movies exist.

and then everyone in this forum plus his mum tells him that his work is good. that it is okay to do this. my games are below average to this point i know that. and while i care, i could not change it at that moment in time so i deemed it release worthy. the games still are mediocre at best but i can handle the critism. ive been through that. i know what to expect. but if some peolle here would have told me years ago, i could have grown and made those games better in the first place.

i dont want you to find it okay what newbies do. i want you to judge them HONESTLY. there is no need to act like a wild beast like i do. anotehr character flaw of mine is that i show neither remorse nor pity. but that doesnt mean that you shouldnt.
but what you SHOULD NOT DO is talk things pretty.

you people claim to be social, support the community and aid newbies. but you dont do it. Slin does it. Frank does it. and selected few others do it aswell. but most of the people that are posting here simply are not. instead, you talk things pretty. you are liberal smooth talkers that actually have NOTHING to say. you just talk but you say nothing.

how are you helping somebody by planting false illusions? how are you aiding them by talking their ugly work pretty. why are you doing that? to make them feel better? to make yourself feel better? think about it.

the very few here, who actually were constructive, who actually said: look man, check copyright, get your own ideas, make another alien based game ect were helpfull. they were. Blattsalat to name a few.

you people wonder why i am such a zynic. you wonder why i talk people down. i do it bacuse you fail to live up to the promise of a community: to support each other. you come here on a daily basis, talk some nice words into the ears of a newbie who needs support not nice words and you are offended by my comments without evenr ealizing that it is your own fault this community is what it is.

to count it down simple heres what you should do:

check thread - see what project/problem is about. READ THINK READ THINK READ THINK - if you actually HAVE something to say otehr than: looks nice, be honest and say it in the best way you can - support the chap with ideas how to make it better, tell him what exactly needs to be changed and why it needs to be changed.

if you think youre not in the mood or you dont ahve anything worth saying: STFU

and on a final note: when i say i wont come back to a thread, i mean it. and this time, ill take fogmans advise and wont come back to this thread.il just leave it be.

so to all you, who want to talk down to me, want to tell me how much my games suck and how much more you know then me, open up a thread in morbius and tell me. show off your work. compare it to mine just bring it on. but stop posting here. post here only if you have to say something about his project.
Spike out!

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project [Re: sPlKe] #332413
07/09/10 14:55
07/09/10 14:55
Connecticut, USA
Blink Offline

Expert
Blink  Offline

Expert

Connecticut, USA
before this thread goes completely off topic, these particular threads are "open" for crits. everyone has an opinion, not everyone will agree. i have always liked and sometimes agreed with how some crits are delivered and disagreed with others. nonetheless, everyone has a right to their opinion, so to flame someone else because of their opinion is wrong IMHO. my suggestion to the topic starter is: don't take it personally, and if you really want to do something, prove the naysayers wrong. that simple. so, heres my "moderator" spiel, please keep this thread on topic, and if you really have an issue with someone and the way they do things, take it to morbius.

My Famous Quotes: "Hip hop is like a virus, infecting everyone and everything around it. Every form of media has some way,shape or form, assimilated hip hop into it." It has also mutated into other strains like, trip hop, house, rap, gangster, and conscious forms. Once you are infected with it, its with you for life."
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de