Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by dr_panther. 05/18/24 11:01
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (7th_zorro, dr_panther), 724 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: [Unpaid] Small RPG with Lite-C [Re: ryangregory] #333379
07/15/10 23:50
07/15/10 23:50
Pennsylvania
Joquan Offline OP
Joquan  Offline OP

Pennsylvania
Quote:
There are many great freeware tools available and as a graphics artist, you usually use your software often enough to not not being able to find it.

Yes, but I specialize with Fireworks.

Quote:
No offence Joquan but you seem to want to be more of a businessman than a game creator. You need to get over yourself and start small, making small games and building your experience and understanding of the way things work.
And try to listen and take in opinions of the people you want to make your games for you, it will help you in the future.

First off, go ahead and call me Jake if you like. wink

Second off, no offense taken.

Thirdly, I would prefer to be a businessman right now, but I do like game creation. I am starting small, as my team only consists of about 12 people total. I am trying to get more though. I listen to all of my team, so I don't exactly know what you mean there.

Re: [Unpaid] Small RPG with Lite-C [Re: Joquan] #333389
07/16/10 03:24
07/16/10 03:24
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
Money makes the world go round, unfortunately. So I don't expect you'll get much help on this project, especially considering your plans, your inexperience, and your record.

Truth be told, we tried to help you a lot Joquan. But you just don't seem to understand that you are not a business man yet, and that you are not any farther ahead than anyone else around you. Granted, you have a lot of determination. I admire you for that. Nonetheless, I think that your determination is misplaced.

To prove my point, here's the roadmap of an ideal beginner. He has a lot to learn, but he's making steady progress. He's doing all the right things and asking all the right questions:

-Joe is inspired and decides to start learning game development
-Joe reads up on the subject and learns about the tools of the trade
-Joe starts playing with the various areas of game development, seeing what he enjoys and what he doesn't.
-Joe starts studying a specific area of game development (writing, art, programming)
-Joe learns
-Joe starts a small project to test his abilities.
-Joe finds a nice game dev forum to ask questions about his projects, show off his latest achievements, etc.
-Joe practices
-Joe practices
-Joe learns
-Joe practices
-Joe practices
-Joe continues taking on small projects, each one testing his skill in some way or another.
-Eventually Joe becomes proficient in his selected discipline. He begins gaining respect from the other forum members for his now obvious talent.
-Joe learns even more
-Joe practices
-Joe practices
-Joe practices
-Joe practices
-Now Joe is now a respected member of the community. His work has spoken for itself; he didn't need to create a massive game site to get respect. He is now regularly asked questions by the new forum members.
-Joe starts landing REAL jobs, and REAL offers, from REAL companies! (seriously!)

Now let's look at what you've done so far:

-Joquan is inspired and decides to start learning game development
-Joquan learns the basics of computer game development. He has dabbled with various tools, learning how to produce simple computer art and web code.
-Joquan learns of the multitude of game engines and game tools available through the internet (Game Maker, Clickteam, Sphere). He downloads and plays with each one.
-After playing with these tools for some time, he gets grand ideas for a new game "company" composed of some neighborhood friends and family who have been exploring game development as well.
-Joquan Games Studios is formed
-Joquan is now president of JGS. He has da skillz with game development and business. He has a "team" composed of beginners with no experience whatsoever.
-Joquan begins his ultimate vision: Project Phoenix!
-Joquan begins looking for other game developers who can work with his "talented" crew.
-Joquan asks around on a few forums and finds some more beginners with the same mind set as the rest of his crew.
-Joquan is now confident that his company will soon become the biggest, most awesomest company in the world!
-Joquan stumbles upon the Gamestudio Community.
-Joquan is stunned when several more experienced developers laugh at his "business proposals!"
-Joquan, who is already convinced that he is among the elite, begins lashing back at the entire community. It's not him... It's us!

Please excuse my sarcasm, but this is the truth. You've got to see what you're doing here. If you keep this up, Joquan, you will make a very big fool of yourself one day.

Don't you see what you are doing, Joquan?

Stop with the grand proposals, the huge requests, and the ridiculous goals. (and yes, this is a huge request) Start out small, and grow! And if you want to become a business man, just finish school and start saving money. Once you have some cash, you can start funding some small games like sPIKe. No business man has ever gotten anywhere on charity.

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Re: [Unpaid] Small RPG with Lite-C [Re: Redeemer] #333390
07/16/10 03:36
07/16/10 03:36
DEEP 13
badapple Offline
User
badapple  Offline
User

DEEP 13
@redeemer

i like joe can i be on joe's team laugh

im going to add joe to my buddie list grin

Last edited by badapple; 07/16/10 03:41.
Re: [Unpaid] Small RPG with Lite-C [Re: badapple] #333414
07/16/10 10:47
07/16/10 10:47
Berlin, Germany
L
Liamissimo Offline
Serious User
Liamissimo  Offline
Serious User
L

Berlin, Germany
@Reedemer: Great work man laugh

"Ich weiss nicht genau, was Sie vorhaben, aber Sie können keine Triggerzonen durch Ihr Level kullern lassen."
-JCL, 2011
Re: [Unpaid] Small RPG with Lite-C [Re: Liamissimo] #333438
07/16/10 13:45
07/16/10 13:45
Earth
Germanunkol Offline
Expert
Germanunkol  Offline
Expert

Earth
Joquan, how about offering your map-making to others?

I don't know how advanced your skills are, but maybe talk to Landixus? He's had a "we need a level designer" thread for quite some time, and his project is advancing very well. I don't think he's finished many games beforehand (please excuse me if I'm wrong) but he's on the right track, and I believe he could use help.

If Landixus' level-maker positions are filled, there's plenty of other projects that people want help for, just browse the forums. Cause you're not the only one looking for team members, so maybe just join one of their ideas?

By doing so you could gain experience, share your work, help and get helped, and you could finish a project together. The art you could later show on your website and people will want you to join their projects as well.

As for all the other responses you have gotten: Almost all of us (there are few exceptions) have wanted to start with too large a project. There aren't many people here who have actually produced a finished game. Every now and then, someone comes in with a project idea, something they dream of. We just can't see how a newbie will prevail where all of us have failed. That's why we advice you to start smaller, no matter how small you start. And that's why, if the person doesn't listen, we get angry. Not because we're mad, not because we're unhelpful. If you start building a level, for example, and want help getting good shadows into the map, just ask, and people will help if they can.

~"I never let school interfere with my education"~
-Mark Twain
Re: [Unpaid] Small RPG with Lite-C [Re: Germanunkol] #333481
07/16/10 18:18
07/16/10 18:18
Pennsylvania, USA
FoxZero Offline
Serious User
FoxZero  Offline
Serious User

Pennsylvania, USA
@Redeemer well said man. You hit the nail on the head. The proper method you described is exactly how I want to get into the industry as a game writer. That's why I emphasized in my jobs wanted post that I wanted to start with small projects that would be finished so I could proudly say I contributed to it. I have dreams too, but I understand that I don't have the skills to make them materialize.

@Jake Dude why do you think I flipped out on you in our emails? I was blown away by the fact that you thought you could give me advice on my anxiety and depression. I had to go back and take out most of the f-bombs in that one email. You're still young and don't know a ton about life. Get over yourself man or you're just going to make more people angry.

I didn't tell you off or curse you out because you seem like a really nice guy, but the way you conduct yourself and the fact that you blatantly refuse to take anyone's advice comes off as ignorant and immature.

I've said it several times myself as others others have here. We are trying to HELP YOU by fixing your BAD ATTITUDE. Accept reality or face disappointment further down the road once you're realized you got in over your head, and many of us have been there.

Check out my site http://foxzero.net
My band's website
http://wolf-hybrid.net

R.I.P. Dave Williams
Re: [Unpaid] Small RPG with Lite-C [Re: FoxZero] #333490
07/16/10 19:01
07/16/10 19:01
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
I just looked at your careers page, Joquan. Here's an offer that really blew my mind:

Quote:
Programming Language Developer - needs to be able to develop a powerful programming language, for use with our new subsidiary, Dimension Softworks (We will need solid evidence that you can do so. It must be presented at the time of your application.)

This is a huge insult to all programmers out there, Joquan, and you don't even know it. To develop a programming language, you have to understand computers inside and out. You have to know all of the relations between binary code, hex codes, assembly, and higher languages like C like the back of your hand. You have to have worked all your life on computers. You have to have gone to school for years, studying computers and compilers. Programming Language Developers are few and far between, and are part of an elite group of computer MASTERS with phDs, who work for $250 an HOUR.

And you want them to work for free on your games, for no reason at all.

That is a huge insult to everything they know. Everything they've worked for. And you don't even understand that.

What do you even need your own custom programming language for, anyway? We already have too many. Go learn a good language like C.

I still can't look at this offer without my brain blowing out. I'm just BEGINNING to understand the basics of advanced languages like Assembly, and even I know that an offer like this is insane.

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Re: [Unpaid] Small RPG with Lite-C [Re: Redeemer] #333501
07/16/10 20:04
07/16/10 20:04
Finland
Inestical Offline
Rabbit Developer
Inestical  Offline
Rabbit Developer

Finland
I think this is enough.

This forum isn't for giving life tips or making people aware of their mistakes by a) direct flaming b) sarcasmic remarks. This forum is for people looking for work and workers.

Thread locked.

"Yesterday was once today's tomorrow."
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  checkbutton, Inestical, Perro 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de