by jcl. 04/26/24 11:09
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 730 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14
Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: Superku] #341442
09/16/10 18:23
09/16/10 18:23
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline
Ganderoleg  Offline

Balkan
I tried it & I'm very impressed with how the game mechanics are now much more fluid smile Everything is much faster & more compact. Great work smile

I don't know if you are o.k. with doing also the spell system (?), there are some changes in the concept. Few days ago George & I talked about a ways to improve the level's visuals and came to the idea of making the spell potions to be objects scattered across the levels. They will be similar to the bonus items that are now present in the later chapter 3 levels and, depending from the spell system that we all agree upon, they could be placed in the specific order or just randomly positioned across the level. If we go for the magic-inventory system then order won't matter but if we all decide to have BJ carry one spell at one time (until it's used) then order of potions across the level would be much more important.

Also the Gravity Change that is now triggered with space will be just another spell potion that needs to be picked up in the level. We could keep the trigger mechanics (second space while Sister is in the air) but it should be possible to do this only after picking up the Gravity Change potion and, as it should be with all other potions, only ones (or unlimited times in limited time-frame) with one potion, twice if player picks up two potions, three time if he picks up three and so on.

..just to mention that this concept does not exclude the mouse-wizard factor: Bj will still receive new types of spells from the mouse around level 5 of every new chapter but the spells themselves will be bottled & scattered across levels smile

Btw, did you gave up on the camera angle change during the gravity switching? ..or will this still be available through the game menu?

>>Demos free3DModels Tutorials<<
>>>>>>> by Pavle Nikolic <<<<<<<

Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: Ganderoleg] #341448
09/16/10 18:52
09/16/10 18:52
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Thank you for the information and thanks for testing!

I like the idea of the gravity-potion but I think then we should drop the double space key activation to stay with a continuous control scheme.

An idea: When you already have a potion and stand next to a different kind of potion, the context sensitive button will change to [Switch potions] and the old potion will be dropped at this position so it can be picked up later on.

Quote:
Btw, did you gave up on the camera angle change during the gravity switching? ..or will this still be available through the game menu?

Somehow it is still there but the controls won't work right at the moment. It will be controllable by a variable (camera_mode).

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: Superku] #341452
09/16/10 19:39
09/16/10 19:39
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline
Ganderoleg  Offline

Balkan
It was a real pleasure to test it smile I would like to switch my levels to this movement code if you think that everything will work o.k.

Btw that idea about potions swap is great! We will be able to skip on the complicated magic-inventory thing & still have a working system without the need to have any specific order of potion level-placement. All we will need is a spell icon of the picked-up potion in the corner of the screen & that's all.

..and yeah, it may be better to drop double space activation & unify all spell-usage to one key.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: Superku] #341481
09/17/10 09:12
09/17/10 09:12
Bucharest, Romania
George Offline OP

Expert
George  Offline OP

Expert

Bucharest, Romania
Just tested the new movement code and it works great! The wall climbing is much smoother now and feels more natural.
On a side note, I think that we have to lower the movement speed while the player is using the stairs; what do you guys think?

Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: George] #341488
09/17/10 11:37
09/17/10 11:37
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline
Ganderoleg  Offline

Balkan
I agree, the stairs-climbing speed could be a bit lowered.
..and just one more thing that I failed to notice earlier, maybe the context sensitive button shouldn't be the A key since in menu we are offering the possibility to use WASD instead of arrow keys.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: Ganderoleg] #341496
09/17/10 13:27
09/17/10 13:27
Bucharest, Romania
George Offline OP

Expert
George  Offline OP

Expert

Bucharest, Romania
I'd say that even the descending speed should be lowered. And you are right, the shift key(s) would work better for that

Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: George] #341497
09/17/10 13:52
09/17/10 13:52
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
They key will (should) be configurable in the menu (my code uses the keys(ip_activate) instruction, not key_a), it's just an early implementation.

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: Superku] #341565
09/18/10 08:24
09/18/10 08:24
Bucharest, Romania
George Offline OP

Expert
George  Offline OP

Expert

Bucharest, Romania
Thank you. Please make sure to decrease the stair climbing / descending speed by 50% (or so).

Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: George] #342142
09/24/10 00:53
09/24/10 00:53
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline
Ganderoleg  Offline

Balkan
Hello team,

I've uploaded the level to SkyDrive (Ganderoleg C3 NonCoded V1) that contains all objects (from chapter 3) that are in need of code-solutions so maybe you can take a look. I didn't place in the level 'shared' objects (doors, elevators...) but I added them in the included document to show how they should be modified.

Included document contains detailed explanations of how the objects should function & what should be modified in the existing code solutions. I also added the SFX placement-explanations that Ivan & me agreed upon. The needed enemy routines are not included in this doc.

Btw, different objects in level are separated with different texture-patterns, and they are placed in the same order as they are explained in the document.

@Superku
I just wanted to point out one thing that is potentially dangerous when it comes to gameplay: when sister is changing gravity she falls back if no ground is to be found but while falling she can move in the air. This shouldn't happen because the player can just change gravity, wait until sister starts to fall & move to, in normal conditions, unreachable parts of the level. I think we should make the entire gravity switching process to be fixed, with no possibility to move while ascending or descending from the air.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: Ganderoleg] #342169
09/24/10 10:20
09/24/10 10:20
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Quote:
I just wanted to point out one thing that is potentially dangerous when it comes to gameplay: when sister is changing gravity she falls back if no ground is to be found but while falling she can move in the air. This shouldn't happen because the player can just change gravity, wait until sister starts to fall & move to, in normal conditions, unreachable parts of the level. I think we should make the entire gravity switching process to be fixed, with no possibility to move while ascending or descending from the air.

You are right, I will fix that.

Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14

Moderated by  George 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de