by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Edgar_Herrera, VoroneTZ, Akow), 973 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: Superku] #342181
09/24/10 13:33
09/24/10 13:33
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline
Ganderoleg  Offline

Balkan
Thanx, that would be great smile

Did you have time to take a look into my non-coded level? George said that he will take on some of the 'non-shared' entities, objects that are not originally coded by you.

It would be great if you would consider modifying 'shared' entities (doors, switches...) because I believe that it wouldn't be right for someone else to re-write/change your code since they use your actions. I haven't placed them in the non-coded level because they are already in your movement-levels but you can find all necessary explanations in the 'Chapter3NeededCodeSolutions.doc'. Mostly they only require adding of sound effects but there are some minor modifications/expansions that should be made in order for them to fit gameplay needs better.

Did you check the Level 8 V2 with the implemented background? smile Do you think that it looks o.k.?

>>Demos free3DModels Tutorials<<
>>>>>>> by Pavle Nikolic <<<<<<<

Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: Ganderoleg] #342343
09/26/10 16:34
09/26/10 16:34
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Quote:
Did you check the Level 8 V2 with the implemented background? Do you think that it looks o.k.?

Looks great! I cannot seem to find the Chapter3NeededCodeSolutions.doc, where is it supposed to be? Besides, I am not able to open *.doc files, could you please provide it as a simple text file? Thank you!

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: Superku] #342347
09/26/10 16:55
09/26/10 16:55
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline
Ganderoleg  Offline

Balkan
Great smile I'm glad you like the new background.

I uploaded the level with entities that needs code solutions (Ganderoleg C3 NonCoded V1) to SkyDrive under 'Other' section. The document is included with the zip, but I will upload it separately in txt format under the same section.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: Ganderoleg] #342996
10/02/10 23:05
10/02/10 23:05
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Thanks!

I've uploaded an improved movement code, esp. the stair climbing was horrible which should be smooth now!
If you have stairs, place a block in WED below them with a "none"-texture attached and check Flag3. (Check Flag1 to activate the boy's crouching mode automatically). See my example level!

I thought we could use a single key, the context sensitive button, to pull crates, activate switches, switch players and to use potions. The problem is, you should always be able to take the reverse-gravity-potion and to switch players. I think we just should add another key for potions only, then we have three keys (jump, context, potion).
What do you think?

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: Superku] #343075
10/03/10 13:38
10/03/10 13:38
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline
Ganderoleg  Offline

Balkan
I just tested the new movement code and it's great smile

The stairs ascent & descent is much smoother and, if I'm not mistaking, the gravity change can be accomplished only if there is a ground at reasonable height above the player?

I was thinking about the potion switch idea and, unfortunately, I believe that we should abandon it because there are situations where this system will just not work. Take this situation as a mild example: You need to pick up illusion potion from the ceiling so you use gravity potion to get to the ceiling, but in order for you to come down from the ceiling you need another gravity potion. So the ceiling is completely useless because once you are on the ceiling you can't carry anything else from the ceiling because you need to take gravity potion in order to come down.

We should look into having some sort of spell inventory or similar thing in the game. My favorite concept is the one from Clive Barker's Undying:
http://www.filefront.com/17346826/Undying_SpellInventory.wmv
..we could have right-mouse-button-click-and-hold in order to open spell inventory & mouse-move (while holding) in order to browse through the spell inventory, but I'm not against any other concept.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: Ganderoleg] #343080
10/03/10 14:21
10/03/10 14:21
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
"he gravity change can be accomplished only if there is a ground at reasonable height above the player?"

Correct! wink

"We should look into having some sort of spell inventory or similar thing in the game."

Thanks for the clip, the system looks nice. We could have a three(?)-slot-inventory at the top of the screen, too. When you need to switch to a different potion, you could hold down the potion key for a second and select a different one with the left/ right keys. I think we should not use the mouse as a control input.

What does George think?

Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: Superku] #343136
10/03/10 21:25
10/03/10 21:25
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline
Ganderoleg  Offline

Balkan
O.k. I agree with no-mouse direction. I haven't talked to George about the potion inventory system yet but I believe that he would also be against using the mouse.

But I'm not sure if we should limit the inventory to three potions, maybe we should consider something similar to Star Wars Jedi Academy:
http://www.filefront.com/17348410/StarWarsJediAcademy_ForceInventory.wmv

Your idea about holding the potion key and switching potions with arrow keys is not bad but maybe we could make things even more simple. How about if pressing the potion key (let's say P) would switch/browse through the potion inventory but also display the potion information on the action panel. So you browse with P, but if you press A while holding P you use the potion.

Pressing P would have to override any action info on action panel (if any possible, near action is already being displayed) and, if not pressed (or if P & A are pressed and potion is used), everything should return to normal (possible, near action should continue to be displayed).

What do you think?

Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: Ganderoleg] #343141
10/03/10 23:01
10/03/10 23:01
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

A cool inventory system is like in Legend of Mana on SNES.
Or in the last ZElda Twilight Princess , a circular inventory ;
made in Mass Efect in some sort also : easy to pick with mouse and more fast to use !
Zelda inventory

Mass Effect combat inventory

Just ideas laugh

Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: ratchet] #343202
10/04/10 13:20
10/04/10 13:20
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline
Ganderoleg  Offline

Balkan
Yeah, they are very good (I like Mass Effect inventory better grin ) but ,now that I look back, I think I remember that we agreed to leave out the mouse when discussing the game controls few months ago.

The potion roll may be a better solution when compared to the potion circle because it takes less design effort, only three potions could be displayed at the same time (with circle the whole inventory is being displayed) & it can always be visible on the HUD since it takes less room. But, on the other hand, the circle can be much more attractive & dynamic feature.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: Ganderoleg] #343252
10/04/10 19:07
10/04/10 19:07
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

In Shining Wisdom they used a very simple but yet effective inventory.

You had three slots and were able to put there what you wanted. Weapon, spell, item, special skill... no matter what.

Does not work for quick gameplay (shooter) as putting stuff to the inventory will have to work via menues, but for adventure games where you don't need to switch items all the time it worked great.

Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  George 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de