by jcl. 04/26/24 11:08
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (AndrewAMD, Quad, 1 invisible), 601 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: Ganderoleg] #343396
10/05/10 22:26
10/05/10 22:26
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Thanks again for testing, but I'm not sure if I understood what you are trying to tell me! wink

"too much freedom [...] not really make the whole trip to them"

I've made it this way that you can actually stop the player. If you run left and move the mouse right without a dead space, you would never be able to stop the player. Do you have a better idea to make the player stop (if the player wishes to do so, of course)?
The control experience naturally depends heavily on the mouse sensitivity, so the feeling of the "dead space" could be adjusted in-game in the options panel.

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: Superku] #343398
10/05/10 23:01
10/05/10 23:01
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline
Ganderoleg  Offline

Balkan
You’re right, the dead-space should stay, that's not the problem. The thing is that there are too many in-between-steps available, if you position the knob just a little to the left or right you can even make player run in slow motion smile

I believe that you should maybe try it like this: if the distance from left to right is 100 points, you should make 0-10 to be used for left, 10-90 to be used for stop & 90-100 to be used for right. The reason for this in my opinion is that it's very easy to make player go right, you just go all the way to the right with your mouse, but it's very tricky to make the player stop because you need to target almost perfect middle of the circle.

>>Demos free3DModels Tutorials<<
>>>>>>> by Pavle Nikolic <<<<<<<

Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: Ganderoleg] #343400
10/05/10 23:13
10/05/10 23:13
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
"The thing is that there are too many in-between-steps available, if you position the knob just a little to the left or right you can even make player run in slow motion"

No, that is not possible anymore. That's why I said the control behaves more like normal buttons, now - it's only full speed or still standing. But you're right, it was like that in the first mouse movement version. wink

Do you think that it's bad to have some kind of analogue movement like you'd have when playing a console game with a gamepad?
I've just wanted to implement it again so you can walk slowly if you want to. Bad idea?

EDIT: And again, there's a new movement prototype on SkyDrive! It's an unusual approach but please give it a try!
I've tested it for more than 20minutes and it really gets to feel good (for me), not only the movement itself, but switching players, selecting and using potions, too.
The inner 50% of the circle is a dead zone, the rest is slow walking up to fast running.
Try to push the crate to the key that appears when you kill the enemy_chase.

If it feels weird to change layers in reversed gravity mode, open main.c and set
var ip_y_reverse = 0;
to true (/ 1).

Last edited by Superku; 10/05/10 23:38.

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: Superku] #343402
10/05/10 23:50
10/05/10 23:50
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline
Ganderoleg  Offline

Balkan
I can't believe it: I've downloaded the new version (Movement0510_b) and unziped it but for some reason I seemed to have opened main.c from the earlier script (Movement0510) blush

You are right, the mouse coordination is now o.k. Sorry, I don't know how I could have opened the wrong script.

I believe that simpler solution is a better solution, I wouldn't over-complicate features with slow motion features.

Btw, what about the design: do you think that we should keep the circle/knob position as it is now or move it at the middle of the screen & up or down? Are the circle/knob position dependent, can I redesign & move them without damaging the functionality?

Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: Ganderoleg] #343403
10/05/10 23:58
10/05/10 23:58
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
No problem.

"Btw, what about the design: do you think that we should keep the circle/knob position as it is now or move it at the middle of the screen & up or down? Are the circle/knob position dependent, can I redesign & move them without damaging the functionality?"

Did you test Movement0510_b or Movement0510_c this time? wink

Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: Superku] #343406
10/06/10 00:29
10/06/10 00:29
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline
Ganderoleg  Offline

Balkan
You are too fast grin

I tried it but.. I don't know. It seems like they’re in some sort of bubble.
It doesn't look so bad in your prototype level since it's mainly geometrical but it looks a bit off in the actual game level:

Strange looking player.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: Ganderoleg] #343407
10/06/10 00:31
10/06/10 00:31
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Yes I know it's ugly! wink
But what's about the movement/ the controls?

Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: Superku] #343408
10/06/10 00:47
10/06/10 00:47
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline
Ganderoleg  Offline

Balkan
I can't really say that I see bigger control differences between Movement0510_b & Movement0510_c but if I would have to choose I'd say that the _c seems to be somehow smoother.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: Ganderoleg] #343409
10/06/10 00:53
10/06/10 00:53
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Oh that is sad, I thought it feels 10times better! wink

Nevertheless, I've uploaded a (hopefully) visual more appealing version (Movement0510_d) to the well known account.

The arrow's length depends on the movement speed.

BTW: People with only one or an injured hand can play our game this way, too! wink

Last edited by Superku; 10/06/10 00:59.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: Superku] #343439
10/06/10 12:41
10/06/10 12:41
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline
Ganderoleg  Offline

Balkan
Tried it but it still looks very strange to me frown With the arrows I feel like someone is pointing out the obvious to me without any reason to do so.

I believe that there shouldn't be any artificial, direct visual attachments associated with the players in order to keep things in semi-realistic concept. The arrows could work, however, in a situation where the player needs to control artificial objects, maybe the arrows could be made active while pushing/pulling objects, or in a situation where the non-player model is being controlled (if we should have Golem or robot control in some level). But, as for me, in that situations I would still prefer the circle with the knob to appear around the model (Golem or robot) instead of arrows.

In any case, I do find that well positioned, nicely designed & animated circle-like object would be much better then objects directly attached with the player models.

But when talking about the mouse-only movement concept I believe we should also consider what would be a better selling point, since we are making a game that should have commercial potential once it's finished. It's true that from visual point of view having a cool-looking, animated round object with a discreet light-effects as a movement-control object is great & very interesting for viewers but is it better from the actual movement-control point of view? We mustn’t forget that pc game consumers are use to having a classic control systems depending from the game type. We should be very careful not to lose customers because of un-ortodox movement control system.

I'm not, nor have ever been a social researcher & I have no idea what market effect can this control-switch have on our project but I know that, in my experience, unusual things always go unusually up or unusually down grin We just need to, somehow, calculate what's most probable outcome.

Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  George 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de