by flink. 04/14/24 07:46
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 600 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
EternallyCurious, 11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin, rajesh7827
19046 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 23 of 30 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 29 30
Re: Untitled Platformer - Artists' corner [Re: Ganderoleg] #342506
09/28/10 19:21
09/28/10 19:21
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

Fantastic laugh

Some personnal things :
The character seems to have some difficulty to run, like a little injury or i don't know what, but it doesn't impact gameplay.
Perhaps it's animation not closing well ? or perhaps its only test animation.

The character found a potion in front of him, while running,
place potions that forces the player to jump : it breaks the linearity of running gameplay !

Really great level, keep up the hard work !
Believe me , only constant hard work pay, it's general not only IT (important : don't forget to take some good breaks also) !!!!

I think if the team do such as good graphics in next levels, with some interesting ideas of gameplay, bosses, it will be a
really good little game on Steam laugh !

Re: Untitled Platformer - Artists' corner [Re: ratchet] #342529
09/28/10 22:26
09/28/10 22:26
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline
Ganderoleg  Offline

Balkan
Thanx smile

The strange run loop is an animation problem and not a problem with Superku's code. The player model is going to be replaced in a week or two, as soon as I finish three more levels of the Fortress chapter.

Yeah, your right about taking a brakes. As it's pointed out in one of my favorite movies with Jack Nicholson, Shining grin , all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Steam would be so great tongue I really hope that we will be able to polish JJ&BUM in a way that would make this game an interesting material for publishers once it's finished.

>>Demos free3DModels Tutorials<<
>>>>>>> by Pavle Nikolic <<<<<<<

Re: Untitled Platformer - Artists' corner [Re: Ganderoleg] #342675
09/29/10 22:35
09/29/10 22:35
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

Steam would be so great I really hope that we will be able to polish JJ&BUM in a way that would make this game an interesting material for publishers once it's finished.

It's possible, a rule in life is to target hight, believe in it,
dream of it !
If all the levels have that quality it's possible indeed !
Steam have several section like Arcade , Casual etc ...
If the game is polished in presentation , interface, gameplay,
it can be sold in a section of Steam i think, and it can motivate the team also to target Steam.
Even if it didn't go in Steam, you 'll find another publisher i think also laugh !

Last edited by ratchet; 09/29/10 22:37.
Re: Untitled Platformer - Artists' corner [Re: ratchet] #342877
10/01/10 18:32
10/01/10 18:32
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline
Ganderoleg  Offline

Balkan
Hi2all,

I've uploaded level solution for J, J & BUM Fortress Chapter boss-battle arena (Ganderoleg C3 LBossB V1) to SkyDrive.

The one problematic thing about this level is the Boss (spider-like monster). The monster will have to be bigger then one regular lane but, because of the towers at the middle of the level, his boundary box will have to be lane-wide in order for him to move freely to the left or right. This means that his boundary box would have to be unsymmetrical to his geometry.

I am not very good at programming so I don't know if this could easily be solved by code, but my solution would be to fake the turn by just animating it: monster moves -X, stops, monster displays turn animation, monster moves +X. There will be no actual movement while the model turns around, only the turning animation.

Also I coded a small action that triggers the battle music ones the player enters the arena. The code itself will naturally have to be replaced with more advanced solution grin but this is a small example of how the atmospheric/battle music switching could look like. The music changes from Ivan's atmospheric music theme (Dream.ogg) to battle-music theme (Beholder.ogg).

Once I finish last two levels from the J,J&BUM chapter 3 I will click together another non-code level (Ganderoleg C3 NonCoded V2) with last non-coded entities from the chapter 3.

http://i24.servimg.com/u/f24/11/34/97/23/jjbumc21.jpg

http://i24.servimg.com/u/f24/11/34/97/23/jjbumc20.jpg

http://i24.servimg.com/u/f24/11/34/97/23/jjbumc23.jpg

http://i24.servimg.com/u/f24/11/34/97/23/jjbumc25.jpg

Any feedback on what should be changed & modified is welcome.
All the best.
Pavle Nikolic >Ganderoleg<

Re: Untitled Platformer - Artists' corner [Re: Ganderoleg] #342994
10/02/10 21:53
10/02/10 21:53
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Quote:
because of the towers at the middle of the level, his boundary box will have to be lane-wide in order for him to move freely to the left or right

I've read your whole text several times, but I did not get it yet. I guess the spider-thing (looks very evil btw wink ) is not supposed to pass through solid matter? Please try to explain the problem in more detail!
I think it's best to give the spider no world collision detection at all, just check for the player model (realizable via group or push).

The level is nice as usual (downloading it right now), there are only some minor issues:
  • In the 4th picture there's a wooden path (?) in the background. It looks quite weird, sorry. wink I would either enhance or remove it. (EDIT: Looks okay in-game!)
  • The whole staircase (21.jpg) looks awesome, I really like it! (Not really an issue! :> )
  • EDIT: On the right staircase you have to pass through wooden planks to get to the next level.
  • 23.jpg: The wooden plank in the middle of the screen is floating in the air. The big circle with the dark grid could use some work, there are visible seams next to the boy.
    I would add some kind of salient edge to the brick ground (not only the circle) where it meets the dark grid, so both elements blend together nicely. Alternatively, you could make the circle smoother. (EDIT: It's funny to run below the spider and to see the player through the "dark parts" (don't know the right word).)
  • What's the purpose of the telescopes? (EDIT: Okay, now I know it! :>) I would add three small drop shadows at their feet.

Keep on doing such great levels!

EDIT: Do you use (sometimes) level geometry (WED blocks) for your levels?

Last edited by Superku; 10/02/10 22:42.

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: Untitled Platformer - Artists' corner [Re: Superku] #342997
10/02/10 23:51
10/02/10 23:51
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline
Ganderoleg  Offline

Balkan
Thanx smile I'm very glad you like the level.

I received mail from George and, since there are only towers that are obstructing the spider-boss movement, he suggested that we make them passable for spider. This is my replay from the mail I've sent him, see if you also agree:
Click to reveal..
Making the same object passable for spider & non-passable for players is a good idea. The three towers (obstacles for spider movement) are already separated (C3_LBB_PartB.mdl) in level so there is just one thing that should be considered: all my mdl files are set as passable and all collision is achieved through the use of wed blocks with textures set to none. There are two options that I can see: to make towers non-passable and set entity properties to polygon or to cut-out the wed blocks that are relevant for towers, compile them as wmb file & import them in the level as map entities? Can you think of any other solution and if not, which one of these two things do you believe would be better?

The wooden path in the 4th image is connecting the third (back) doors to the arena with the two small posts outside. It will be much clearer when you run the level.

The floating plank is fixed, I've also seen it in the image yesterday when it was too late, everything was already uploaded to Sky Drive crazy As for grid, you are 100 % right. I'm not happy with how it fits & how the edges are blended with the stone-ground. That will all be improved in the level's second version (hopefully the entire chapter will be finalized in a two weeks).

Telescopes are a part of the level's gameplay solution. There is a Gameplay.txt file included in the level's zip, if you like you can check it out.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Artists' corner [Re: Ganderoleg] #344204
10/14/10 23:22
10/14/10 23:22
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline
Ganderoleg  Offline

Balkan
Hello2all,

I've uploaded level 7 for J, J & BUM Fortress Chapter (Ganderoleg C3 L7 V1) to SkyDrive.

From movement angle, this level is relaying on two things:
1.Players can't move more then two crates at once, one on top of the other. For moving three or more crates players will need strength potion.
2.Players can strife/change lanes only while walking not while jumping.

There is a small, let's call it, bug with lifts: when positioned behind wall, elevators starts moving even if approached from different lane.

Apart from Ello's sky system (that we are going to replace once George finishes his own sky system) the new thing is background buildings & early DOF solution (Shade-C). The background building visual effect can't really pop-out in this level because the level is indoor oriented, and DOF can be turned off by putting 0 in Bloom.txt file.

Any feedback on what should be changed & modified is welcome smile

http://i24.servimg.com/u/f24/11/34/97/23/jjbumc32.jpg

http://i24.servimg.com/u/f24/11/34/97/23/jjbumc34.jpg

http://i24.servimg.com/u/f24/11/34/97/23/jjbumc33.jpg

Btw I forgot to upload the gameplay video, I'll put it tomorrow on SkyDrive.

Gameplay video for level 7 is now uploaded to SkyDrive.

Last edited by Ganderoleg; 10/15/10 13:49.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Artists' corner [Re: Ganderoleg] #344278
10/15/10 21:25
10/15/10 21:25
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline
Ganderoleg  Offline

Balkan
I must admit that I'm having very hard time in finding the effects that fit good with my levels. Every time I try to implement something it seems to do the opposite thing, instead of making the level look better it just makes level look strange or uglier.

At this point I believe that I am in no position to be objective because I looked at the levels for far to long so I think maybe someone else could take a look to see if I am right or wrong.

I've uploaded a small +DOF/-DOF video of the last level to FileFront. It would be great f someone could find time to download it, check it out & see if level looks better/worse with or without DOF. Just post reply here, send pm or mail me.

Here is the link to JJ&BUM_DOF.zip on FileFront:
http://www.filefront.com/17392507/JJBUM_DOF.zip

Since this is a very delicate visual distinction & video is in high quality, the zip is a bit heavy and weights 62mb.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Artists' corner [Re: Ganderoleg] #344333
10/16/10 16:17
10/16/10 16:17
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

Ok I took a look.

I like the DOF effect concerning the castle parts in the background. The background layer itself gets very blurry though - and it does not look like intended but more like low resolution.

Inside the castle the DOF is not really visible, but I think this is just fine.
Mabye a weaker DOF effect would do better? Main problem is the background layer I think.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Artists' corner [Re: FBL] #344339
10/16/10 17:01
10/16/10 17:01
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline
Ganderoleg  Offline

Balkan
Thanx for downloading the video smile

Yeah, the DOF is barely visible inside, there is only a small amount of blurring being active on the foreground objects which is ok. The background of the level is another story, the blurring is to intense. I've tried to bring it down a bit through the blurstrength parameter but without much success.

It's Shade-C DOF & here are the values from sc_dof.h script:
//var sc_dofParams[3] = {500, 1300, 0.8}; //These are Shade-C original values
var sc_dofParams[3] = {700, 1600, 0.01};//My values
// x = focal plane depth "area of sharpness"
// y = focal plane pos
// z = blurstrength

..I even made blurstrength to be super-small & still everything in the background is very blurry.

Page 23 of 30 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 29 30

Moderated by  George 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de