by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (dr_panther, Quad), 903 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 4 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 29 30
Re: KarBOOM v0.1.1 out now [Re: Roel] #346446
11/05/10 20:24
11/05/10 20:24
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline OP
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline OP
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Okay, so the wheels are shown, but without material. Thanks for the screenshot. Have you got the latest version of DirectX?

I'm going to have to make alternate skins/materials for those with no shader support, so that even if this problem continues it should work with shaders disabled. But, of course, your PC should be able to handle the shaders no problem. Especially since my PC has the same generation of graphics card as yours.

Jibb

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: KarBOOM v0.1.1 out now [Re: JibbSmart] #346449
11/05/10 21:22
11/05/10 21:22
Berlin, Germany
S
SchokoKeks Offline
User
SchokoKeks  Offline
User
S

Berlin, Germany
Just played the game with my girlfriend and it was really entertaining. Good work!

The mutators gave the gameplay some variety. I'd love to see different levels, especially one which is just a bit larger.

Also you could add another mutator that gives the players a bit more time until they explode when they are outside of the ring. there is hardly time to react. a short help/description for each mutator would help players who didn't read the readme.

Btw: graphics work fine on my ATI Radeon HD 3850.

Re: KarBOOM v0.1.1 out now [Re: SchokoKeks] #346450
11/05/10 21:48
11/05/10 21:48
Flevoland, 5 meters under wate...
Roel Offline
Roel  Offline

Flevoland, 5 meters under wate...
thank you Julz for reminding me of updating directX!
forgot that grin
now it works

Check out the throwing game here: The throwing game
Re: KarBOOM v0.1.1 out now -- what next?? [Re: Roel] #346455
11/05/10 22:17
11/05/10 22:17
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline OP
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline OP
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Brilliant Roel grin I'm so glad it works! I've put on my KarBOOM page to update DirectX if things aren't working properly.

@SchokoKeks: Glad you like! For a little while I had a help pop-up at the bottom that gave a short description of most menu elements. It never made it to this version. It makes sense to include it as I work on the menu this week. Thanks for the suggestion.

Different levels are a popular request! Should I aim for online multiplayer first or multiple levels? Both require a chunk of work (for levels I'd make a level editor -- first for my use, but hopefully later for everyone's use). This means the first new level will require a lot of work, but after that I should be able to pretty easily add levels as I please. I should also probably get the physics working in 3D before I have multiple levels.

What do people reckon?
Online first or multiple levels?

This week will still be menu-focused, because it really needs it!

Jibb

I made KarBOOM!
Re: KarBOOM v0.1.1 out now -- what next?? [Re: JibbSmart] #346465
11/06/10 00:39
11/06/10 00:39
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
I'd really prefer to see online gaming first (as I usually only play 1-2 good levels in a multiplayer game, too).

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: KarBOOM v0.1.1 out now -- what next?? [Re: Superku] #346470
11/06/10 04:22
11/06/10 04:22
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
Hi, just tried your game Julz. I enjoyed it a lot, me and my brother had lots of fun knocking each other around. laugh

A few comments:

-The graphics are simple but look very good. Great job!

-The sound effects are a little lack-luster. In particular, the explosions sound kind of wimpy.

-Movement; some people may complain about a lack of acceleration, but I think this is a good thing. If the player has too much control over the car, it will make it too difficult to recover from a bump. Personally I think it's just right wink

-Music; obviously there's no music yet since you started development of this game just a few weeks ago (I'm guessing), but it's still something that needs to be done. I would suggest some bouncy songs like Bomberman that shift into higher frequencies when two cars come near each other (context sensitive music?)

-Multiplayer; apparently this is a popular idea. IMO it shouldn't be done unless you allow more than one person to play online from the same computer.

-Levels; the round dirt patch is a good bread-and-butter level that I think should be retained even after you create the level editor, but I like the idea of more complex levels too.

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Re: KarBOOM v0.1.1 out now -- what next?? [Re: Superku] #346471
11/06/10 04:25
11/06/10 04:25
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
...online

Re: KarBOOM v0.1.1 out now [Re: Roel] #346555
11/07/10 08:00
11/07/10 08:00
B
bart_the_13th Offline
bart_the_13th  Offline
B

Hey, goodnews grin , it does work on my PC, well, it give me error
Code:
cant compile [something]

at first, then all I need to do is copying the D3D_Compiler.dll(or something like that) to the game directory.
So A8 games do work on my PC :), but why 3DGSA8 wont?

Re: KarBOOM v0.1.1 out now [Re: bart_the_13th] #346605
11/08/10 00:06
11/08/10 00:06
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline OP
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline OP
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Quote:
-Multiplayer; apparently this is a popular idea. IMO it shouldn't be done unless you allow more than one person to play online from the same computer.
Yes, this is planned. I should update the to-do list to reflect this.

I really appreciate the feedback laugh Some level styles would be easy to generate (such as the circle I already have, a ring level with an abyss in the middle, and some stuff like that), so I might have a list of procedural levels that let you adjust their size to suit how many players you have (when online comes and there are a lot more players the current level will probably be too small, but still suitable for smaller games), as well as a list of pre-built levels.

@sounds/music: I'll see what I can do. I think these are important elements to have in the game to polish the whole package before I am more public about the game (at the moment I'm not making any efforts to advertise it outside of this forum) -- I think if I'm too eager to get attention to this game while it's still really rough, a lot of people won't give it a second look even when it's polished later on.

Bart, your problem is really weird :S But I'm glad you got it working. Thanks for putting in the effort laugh

@online-vote: Noted. Thanks.

Jibb

I made KarBOOM!
KarBOOM v0.1.2 with more gamepad support [Re: JibbSmart] #347179
11/12/10 23:42
11/12/10 23:42
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline OP
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline OP
Expert
J

WA, Australia
DOWNLOAD v0.1.2

Slightly updated version. GUI slightly cleaned up. Supports up to 4 gamepads.

I know I said I'd be menu focused. I really only worked on this game last weekend -- rough week with university among other things.

Next I'm going to focus on making the GUI more gamepad friendly (it's really annoying to have to use the mouse in the menu after playing with gamepads), and add support for unlimited players. Now that I use WINAPI for the gamepads its really easy for me to add "unlimited" gamepad support. In fact I've only limited it to 4 in this version because of GUI limitations and the fact that there are still only 4 playable cars.

This means the next update will take some work, and thanks to university may not be released in time for Friday. But it'll make the GUI more functional (probably not better-looking yet), and support an arbitrary amount of players -- this will affect most of my code.

If you have more than two gamepads, PLEASE let me know if it works with more than two gamepads. I only have two, so I couldn't test the extra two.

Jibb

I made KarBOOM!
Page 4 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 29 30

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de