by jcl. 04/26/24 11:08
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 744 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Unreal engine on Iphone : [Re: XNASorcerer] #350768
12/19/10 00:08
12/19/10 00:08
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
Originally Posted By: XNASorcerer

The full source and content for the “Epic Citadel” App, plus an additional castle demo map.

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=754549

I just had a look into the citadel demo from within the editor - didn't test any feature of the editor jet, but it feels so amazing to be able to build a level from a windows pc(!) - and to imagine that it will run on an iPhone! (I guess, Android will follow soon...)

On the other hands, it is great to see this fantastic piece of level and investigates the details. So lowpoly, and so compelling organic.

Re: Unreal engine on Iphone : [Re: Pappenheimer] #350886
12/20/10 00:58
12/20/10 00:58
ratchet Offline OP
Expert
ratchet  Offline OP
Expert

Thanks for the link !
I played it on my itouch 4G, well it runs smooth and graphics
looks like Next Gen !
Their game is full combat system, with heavy level up system,
Once you figth the last boss, if you dy you replay as the child
with all power up you gained.

The presentation of items and interface in this game are top notch.

I seen on the link some cool tools for Ios :

# Unreal Matinee cinematics tools

# Unreal Cascade particle designer

# Mesh painting tools

# Full support for Autodesk FBX file format

# Unreal animation system (AnimTrees, additive animations, blending, etc.)

# Play In Editor, one-click game preview

# BSP level construction system

# Level-Of-Detail systems, including Massive LOD

Etc : great tools to build games indeed !

And i'm sure with next Iphones like 5G ,6G etc ... power will
be growing on !
The only problem is that iphone battery is too short, even more short if you play a 3D game.
And Nintendo DS even with 3D game , i can play when travelling 5 hours or 8 wihtout problem.

Well this was my minute talking about Iphone laugh

Re: Unreal engine on Iphone : [Re: Machinery_Frank] #351854
12/28/10 22:33
12/28/10 22:33
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Originally Posted By: Machinery_Frank
My latest smart phone (HTC Desire HD) has a big display (800x480) and can easily display hd videos (720)

ok but it is still a 3.5" screen
Should you add also a GUI , what does it remain left for the graphics ?
Watching a movie on a small screen may be more or less acceptable but playing a complex game it is ridicolus
In my opinion it is just a marketing issue

Last edited by AlbertoT; 12/28/10 22:37.
Re: Unreal engine on Iphone : [Re: ratchet] #351869
12/29/10 00:37
12/29/10 00:37
Canada
WretchedSid Offline
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline
Expert

Canada
Originally Posted By: ratchet
And Nintendo DS even with 3D game , i can play when travelling 5 hours or 8 wihtout problem.

Great way of comparing things, really. You know that you phone has to always power its radio transmitters, talk with the GSM network, initiate base station switches etc?
On my iPad with a much larger screen than your phone/gameboy, I can play around 8-9 hours too.

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com
Re: Unreal engine on Iphone : [Re: AlbertoT] #351877
12/29/10 09:00
12/29/10 09:00
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Originally Posted By: AlbertoT
Watching a movie on a small screen may be more or less acceptable but playing a complex game it is ridicolus
In my opinion it is just a marketing issue

No it is not. Even on my older N97 it was fun to play some games like Zuma Revenge. Yes, you are right, these games work best with small or zero GUI while playing. But this is possible especially with a touch screen.

I personally dont like the idea to have action games on a phone with touch screen controls. But I like to play puzzle games where you simply start an action with a touch of your finger. Another interesting idea would be to play adventure games where you move your character with a single touch, where you start conversions or investigations with a single touch of your finger. There is no messy HUD/GUI needed. And an adventure like this could have really nice graphics and could be 3d or 2.5d also.

Here is an example of an Android game (Angry Birds) where you try to destroy buildings (some kind of physics game play):

As you see there is only one single button to pause the game in the corner. A menu with more options will appear when you touch it. All the other game controls are just the screen and your finger. You scroll with your finger, you zoom with your fingers, you start the action with your finger and it really works.

And to be honest, these kind of controls are so intuitive and native that even my 3-years old daughter can control my phone. We installed some very simple painting programs on our phones just for my daughter. This shows easily that touching a screen is way easier to understand than using sticks, buttons or mouse.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Unreal engine on Iphone : [Re: Machinery_Frank] #351944
12/30/10 01:16
12/30/10 01:16
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Frank
It is a quite simple game , the one of your example,with essential graphics and , I suppose a basic game play,too
That's makes sense
I am aware of course that game development for the iPhone / iPad / android etc is becoming a more and more important business
I was just wondering whether it makes also that sense to port on a 3.5" screen advanced graphics stuff
The snap shots posted by Ratchet reminded me Assasin's Creed 2 which I am going to purchase for the XBox version( not even for PC, my 19" screen is too small ;))
Do you really think that you can spot your target in a crowd of a middle age city on a iPhone screen ?

Last edited by AlbertoT; 12/30/10 01:17.
Re: Unreal engine on Iphone : [Re: AlbertoT] #351959
12/30/10 09:50
12/30/10 09:50
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

I agree with you. When I want to enjoy very high resolution games then a big monitor is first choice of course. But mobile phones will display some more realistic graphics also. I am working on a scenery like this for one of our customers. I cant tell you much right now because of a NDA, but it will show interesting detailed graphics, although there are still constraints compared to a PC.

Regarding gameplay I already wrote you that I can imagine some nice gameplay (adventure games as an example) where you still have a big character on screen and some detailed scenery around. Something like this would work fine on a phone. But you will see RPGs, shooters and even RTS on phones also, maybe a bit more stylized to recognize units better on that small screen, but it will be there in the near future.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Unreal engine on Iphone : [Re: Machinery_Frank] #352621
01/04/11 20:56
01/04/11 20:56
planet.earth
ello Offline
Senior Expert
ello  Offline
Senior Expert

planet.earth
how is it with udk. can one create things for the iphone on a windows computer? or does it require a mac?

generally, what do you all think about android? developement would be much simpler, right?

www.earthcontrol.de
quoted: We want to maintain a clean, decent, American family suited forum look... which means you may post zombies or chainsaw massacres, but no erotic.
Re: Unreal engine on Iphone : [Re: ello] #352624
01/04/11 21:29
01/04/11 21:29
Ä°stanbul, Turkey
Quad Online
Senior Expert
Quad  Online
Senior Expert

Ä°stanbul, Turkey
actually using windows is only way to deliver games for iphone with udk, udk doesnot work on mac(for now, i think editors will still be pc only but front-end may get to mac.). Did not read much in to it but i guess you still need licenses from apple etc. Documentation pretty much says that you only need MAC when you are submitting your app to the appstore, no word of MAC on development/deployment stage, only distribution.

For android, from udk point of view i am guessing it will be pretty much same as iphone - that is of course when udk gets android support.

Being develeoped 2D app for both iphone and android(same app on both devices), i would say develeopment complexity was pretty much the same, sometimes both platforms needed some small workarounds where other one did not, in different areas. But that was all 2d and was not a game.(Can't be more clear, still under the effects of NDA)

Re: Unreal engine on Iphone : [Re: Quad] #352627
01/04/11 21:39
01/04/11 21:39
ratchet Offline OP
Expert
ratchet  Offline OP
Expert

Documentation pretty much says that you only need MAC when you are submitting your app to the appstore, no word of MAC on development/deployment stage, only distribution.

I already asked to Unity and Shva 3D forums :
And yes tools to make the game can run on Windows , but
for makeing the final build and distributting it to store
you need a MAC for that last phase !

For Android , i don't know ifd a Mac is really necessary ?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de