by jcl. 04/26/24 11:08
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (degenerate_762, AndrewAMD), 877 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 9 of 30 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 29 30
Re: Bots added: get KarBOOM 0.1.4 now [Re: JibbSmart] #348816
11/30/10 21:31
11/30/10 21:31
England
M
MrGuest Offline
Serious User
MrGuest  Offline
Serious User
M

England
love it atm,

1 bug
if you've died then watch the reply before the game finishes you get another chance to wreak revenge on your foes even though your remaining lives are 0 in the lives count mode.

2 requests
if you added a timebar which you could fastforward and rewind through and display where people died by a simple tag showing their colour would be good

have it so you could upload (or at least send) your replays to other people

and I finally won a game!

Re: Bots added: get KarBOOM 0.1.4 now [Re: MrGuest] #348831
11/30/10 23:37
11/30/10 23:37
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline OP
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline OP
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Ah! Thanks for catching that bug! I've well-and-truly squished it for the next release.

@requests: Both sound good. I wrote the replay mode in such a way that it should be easy to move back and forth quickly, so it won't take me much effort at all to get that working. The timebar makes sense, and tagging points on the timebar when cars explode is a great idea (that's a good way to get a sense of where everything is).

In regards to uploading/sending replays, as a minimum I should aim for having the replays savable to a file that others with the game can open.

Updating my to-do list now laugh The replay features will probably not be in the next release, since I'm focusing on online play, but bug fixes will make it.

Jibb

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: Bots added: get KarBOOM 0.1.4 now [Re: JibbSmart] #348961
12/02/10 09:45
12/02/10 09:45
Earth
Germanunkol Offline
Expert
Germanunkol  Offline
Expert

Earth
Hi,
Played again, same settings, and no problems this time. I think it may have been my Onboard graphics card which I used last time. This time, with the NVidea 9800 GT it works fine.

An idea came to mind: How about a mutator that makes a player more and more vulnerable to pushes, the longer he is alive?

I also agree about the explosions.
And the AI beats me every time tongue

Yet, the game is more fun every time I download. Keep it up!

~"I never let school interfere with my education"~
-Mark Twain
Re: Bots added: get KarBOOM 0.1.4 now [Re: Germanunkol] #348975
12/02/10 12:31
12/02/10 12:31
England
M
MrGuest Offline
Serious User
MrGuest  Offline
Serious User
M

England
Originally Posted By: Germanunkol
And the AI beats me every time
Can beat them most times on lives victory. Finally managed to beat them on score! grin (though only once) frown

Re: Bots added: get KarBOOM 0.1.4 now [Re: MrGuest] #349905
12/12/10 06:02
12/12/10 06:02
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline OP
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline OP
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Hey guys, thanks again for your input!

I'm impressed you managed to beat the AI on score, James! That's crazy! Not that the AI is brilliant, but it's relentless and stupid, so they keep taking each other down with themselves and giving each other heaps of points tongue I can never keep up, except if I play really well with the weak-spot mutator on (and trust me, it's a bit easier in the version I've got with explosion power reduced).

I tried making them smarter -- it worked, and they were insanely tough, but the stupider stuff they did just seemed even stupider. I've commented out the code so it can easily be put back in if I need it, but I think in future I'll just have an option for ridiculously tough bots using the smarter AI -- once it has been improved, of course.

Micha: I like that idea about the mutator! Very cool laugh It's on my to-do list. I've been meaning to get more mutators into the game, so that even when I make a relatively small update people have more reason to stay up-to-date.

There's no real news with this post, despite my silence for the past 10 days. I just realised I hadn't replied to some things, and I want to announce that there won't be an update for quite a few more days while I have exams at uni frown Online is coming along fairly well (although, Micha, I've made no progress on what we've been discussing).

I was thinking online play might be postponed until a new A8 update comes out that sorts out some kinks in the latest public beta, but yesterday I got my new computer in, re-installed A8, and found that I was actually one version behind, and those kinks have already been fixed laugh So online is going very smoothly, and could be in action very soon after my exams! The problem is, a few days after my exams I go away for two weeks. I really want each release of KarBOOM to be very solid, especially as online play might require some maintenance, so even if it appears to work, KarBOOM Online might not be public before the New Year frown

Jibb

EDIT: Full-scene anti-aliasing works now, using a large render-target that gets down-sampled so I can switch it on and off easily, as well as it smoothing everything. This is as opposed to hardware AA which seems to only do the edges, which doesn't help my really pixelated specular highlights. Hardware AA also requires engine restart to take effect, but mine can be toggled on and off instantly as the user prefers.

No AA:

With AA:

Online play is nearly ready. You'll all be the first to play it, but I have other commitments and an exam over the next few days, so it still won't necessarily be out soon frown

Last edited by JulzMighty; 12/14/10 04:45.

I made KarBOOM!
Re: Bots added: get KarBOOM 0.1.4 now [Re: JibbSmart] #352222
01/02/11 04:01
01/02/11 04:01
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
I hope this hasn't died, it was looking pretty cool.

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Re: Bots added: get KarBOOM 0.1.4 now [Re: Redeemer] #352283
01/02/11 18:16
01/02/11 18:16
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline OP
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline OP
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Hey Redeemer laugh Don't worry, it hasn't died. My family went away for Christmas and took me with them -- we've been skiing in Whistler, which has been amazing. Not something we can normally afford at all, but as expats we get to use our "home-leave" to explore other cool parts of the world laugh

I've been working on KarBOOM's website while I've been away -- only here and there. I don't have much time to work on it, but it's the best I can do since I don't have access to my own PC from here to work on KarBOOM itself. KarBOOM.net will be the "official" KarBOOM website with all there is to know about KarBOOM, to-do lists, and its own forum for feedback, bug reports, and organising online games. KarBOOM online play uses an account system that shares the same backend as the forum, so if you've seen them on the forum you know who you're playing against. Most of it is not finished yet.

By the time I left before Christmas, KarBOOM itself had smooth and consistent online play (as far as my tests can tell at this stage), a lobby system, login system. When I get home I will optimise traffic a bit more for online play, make some user-interface improvements, and try to get a system working for detecting when someone's attempting to host from behind a router and hasn't set up port-forwarding.

While I've been away I've had tonnes of ideas for the level editor and different game-modes. I really can't wait to implement it all! But for now I'll focus on getting online up and running. When I get the forum working I'll be asking here for help testing out the forum, and when KarBOOM Online is just about ready you guys will be the first to test it.

Jibb

I made KarBOOM!
Re: Bots added: get KarBOOM 0.1.4 now [Re: JibbSmart] #352284
01/02/11 18:22
01/02/11 18:22
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Sounds just awesome! (And have fun while you're still on holiday!)

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: Bots added: get KarBOOM 0.1.4 now [Re: Superku] #352309
01/02/11 20:20
01/02/11 20:20
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
Happy holidays then, glad to see the project hasn't been abandoned. laugh

By the way, the website looks good! wink

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Re: Bots added: get KarBOOM 0.1.4 now [Re: Redeemer] #352339
01/02/11 23:27
01/02/11 23:27
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline OP
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline OP
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Thanks guys laugh

I've been learning a lot of javascript and css to get this working (haven't really done my own website before -- jibbsmart.com uses googlesites). It'll need a lot of testing!

Jibb

I made KarBOOM!
Page 9 of 30 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 29 30

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de