by jcl. 04/26/24 11:09
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (7th_zorro, AndrewAMD), 932 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15
Re: unity 3 [Re: ventilator] #348007
11/21/10 18:01
11/21/10 18:01
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
This is the place where I want to thank ratchet, because he gives on an almost regularly basis links to interesting games!
Thank you, ratchet! laugh
I agree that his assumptions are mostly going too far.
Maybe, ratchet, you want to make a tiny little game that is fun for at least a minute, make it as small as possible.
This way you could see/show how close your suggestions are to the reality of game making.(or, how far away they are from the praxis of game making.)

[Maybe, a "Minute Game Contest" in Morbius with any engine you like were a nice thing to do?]

Mentioning the ever lasting design versus programming: don't forget marketing.
*still looking speechlessly impressed at the success of AaaaaaAAAAaaaah! and Bad Rats and Wonderful World*

About design:
Originally Posted By: ventilator
there are awesome games with very simple or rather abstract graphics.

IMO, to invent those "very simple or rather abstract graphics" is already an extremely difficult task. I almost lost my believe in me that I can handle that, although I have still hope that can learn it.
Look at 'my' "Fish On Wheels" in the projects forum, I think it is an extremely good start, but it is extremely far away from getting a consistent graphical design, too. This bothers me very much.

Re: unity 3 [Re: ventilator] #348009
11/21/10 18:19
11/21/10 18:19
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

It is what I meant
In GameDev forum , fanatic programmers claim that you should programm every thing from the scratch
That's absurd of course
However some fanatic artists make the same mistake
If they watch a good demo on you Tube...wow a great game, they claim

Of course it would silly to deny the importance of graphics and presentation
It is a matter of fact however that many top selling games do not have an advanced graphics
take the SIMS for example
The other way round is hard to find
Not only
Sometime the abuse of graphics effects can be even a drawback
Take for example strategic games
I still regret the "spartan" Dune 2 graphics which made so easy to indetify and select the unities on the battle field
In other kind of games the atmosphere is , on the contary, created by the graphics

Re: unity 3 [Re: AlbertoT] #348548
11/28/10 03:31
11/28/10 03:31
C
carlpa Offline
carlpa  Offline
C

I downloaded Unity3. It is a very impressive tool for making Role Playing Games. It can do much of the work allowing one to create lovely graphics. However, the amount of "help" that a system provides is inversely proportioned to the amount of "freedom" allowed in said system. A simple example is the use of templates in GS.

An expert in either GS or Unity can create amazing games. GS provides a lot of freedom which requires a lot of graphics and programing. Unity makes those tasks easier but one must follow the "Unity" path. I doubt that I could have created my reaction time programs easily in Unity3.

Define your task, recognize one's own talent and knowledge, choose a platform and create.

Researcher & clinician. A6, A7, & A8
First computer a Commodore Pet
Re: unity 3 [Re: carlpa] #348556
11/28/10 10:21
11/28/10 10:21
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Well what You are saying is correct
The amount of help is inversely proportional to the amount of freedom
For this reason I hate the engines which make too much for you
A typical example was Torque which was geared towards FPS multiplayer games
However we should not make also the opposite mistake
I went through some absurd threads on GameDev forum where fanatic programmers supported by even more fanatic moderators claimed that game engines are of no use
A game programmer should code everything from the scratch ( direct x or opengl ) in the name of flexibility
About 3dgs and Unity3d in my opinion they are the right compromise
These engines supply just those features which are in common to all games
Features which the developer should in any case code by himself
Templates and prefabricated scripts are options
Dont use them if you dont like them

Last edited by AlbertoT; 11/28/10 10:25.
Re: unity 3 [Re: carlpa] #348872
12/01/10 12:07
12/01/10 12:07
VPrime Offline
Expert
VPrime  Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: carlpa
I downloaded Unity3. It is a very impressive tool for making Role Playing Games. It can do much of the work allowing one to create lovely graphics. However, the amount of "help" that a system provides is inversely proportioned to the amount of "freedom" allowed in said system. A simple example is the use of templates in GS.

An expert in either GS or Unity can create amazing games. GS provides a lot of freedom which requires a lot of graphics and programing. Unity makes those tasks easier but one must follow the "Unity" path. I doubt that I could have created my reaction time programs easily in Unity3.

Define your task, recognize one's own talent and knowledge, choose a platform and create.

You are right that some tools can make things too easy, and thus remove important functions to make more diverse games..
BUT, I disagree with you about unity vs 3dgs. IMO Unity is not any more limiting than 3D Game studio is. In my opinon after using it for a while.. I find that it is just as versatile compared to 3dgs.
The workflow just makes you think things are too easy, the work flow is just speeding up things that you waste lots of time on in other engines.

I am just curious how much time you spent with unity before coming to your conclusions? All I can say is give it a chance and learn its ways. Yes some things are different, but that doesn't make the platform any less powerful.

Re: unity 3 [Re: VPrime] #349000
12/02/10 20:00
12/02/10 20:00
C
carlpa Offline
carlpa  Offline
C

Dear VPrime,

I must have failed to be clear for I did not mean to say anything about the power of a platform nor decide if one was better than the other. I recall the heated discussions of "C" vs "BASIC". A casual programer (like myself) is unlikely to have the time to master any platform. Hence, our efforts are going to be more affected by the concepts underlying said platform.

Researcher & clinician. A6, A7, & A8
First computer a Commodore Pet
Re: unity 3 [Re: carlpa] #349004
12/02/10 22:28
12/02/10 22:28
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Well probably both VPrime and myself misunderstood your post
I understood that Unity, in your opinion, is less flexible than 3dgs, as far as programming is concerned
Up to a certaint extent it may be true
For example Unity3d does not allow vertices manipulation
However it is a big mistake to assume tha Unity3d is for artists while 3dgs is for programmers
Unity supply a lot of commands having an high degree of abstraction thus making the engine more flexibble but also less intuitive

Re: unity 3 [Re: AlbertoT] #349007
12/02/10 22:50
12/02/10 22:50
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
Originally Posted By: AlbertoT

For example Unity3d does not allow vertices manipulation

Ups. Sure? That's interesting...what does it allow. I guess there is something like vec_for_vertex - but no vec_to vertex?

Re: unity 3 [Re: Pappenheimer] #349010
12/02/10 22:57
12/02/10 22:57
ventilator Offline OP
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline OP
Senior Expert

of course unity allows vertex and mesh manipulation too. otherwise the minecraft clones like the one of captain kiyaku wouldn't be possible for example.

Re: unity 3 [Re: ventilator] #349014
12/03/10 00:25
12/03/10 00:25
Richmond B.C., Canada
Captain_Kiyaku Offline

Dichotomic
Captain_Kiyaku  Offline

Dichotomic

Richmond B.C., Canada
Yep i can just confirm what ventilator said, you can modify vertex of course, create meshes at run time, recreate the UV coordinates, etc.

It bothers me if people always "try" Unity for an hour and then be like "i've used Unity it sucks its missing feature xyz".

EDIT:
Have fun: http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/Mesh.html

My Blog

"Tag und Nacht schrei ich mich heiser,
Wind weht alle Worte fort,
Tag und Nacht schrei ich mein Krähenwort!"

Subway To Sally - Krähenkönig
Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de