by jcl. 04/20/24 08:38
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (EternallyCurious, AndrewAMD, TipmyPip, Quad), 889 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea
19048 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 4
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
The Perfect Adventure Game #34912
10/14/04 12:59
10/14/04 12:59
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

The Perfect Adventure Game

Quote:

Law 1: The Story is everything.

Law 2: Playability must be addictive.

Law 3: Navigation must be "Intuitive-able".

Law 4: Puzzles must be solvable by real people in real life.

Law 5: Window dressing must enhance, but never dominate.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Adventure Architect [Re: Orange Brat] #34913
10/16/04 14:46
10/16/04 14:46
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Adventure Architect Series

Quote:

It’s probably the industry's best kept secret that many of the most entertaining new adventure games these days are being designed not by the major studios, but by amateurs—fans of the genre working alone or in small teams to do something that we’ve all wanted to do at one time or another: create our own adventure game. Beginning this month, I’ll be taking my first steps down that road as well. I’ll report on everything I learn along the way, from choosing a game engine and deciding on a story idea to writing the plot and, eventually, even beta testing and completion.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: Adventure Architect [Re: Orange Brat] #34914
10/16/04 21:12
10/16/04 21:12
atlantic canada
pocorev Offline
Developer
pocorev  Offline
Developer

atlantic canada
terrific articles... enjoyed the architect series particularly.

thanks O-B

Re: Adventure Architect [Re: pocorev] #34915
10/16/04 23:50
10/16/04 23:50
Germany
Error014 Offline
Expert
Error014  Offline
Expert

Germany
Great Articles. Thanks for the link

Perhaps this post will get me points for originality at least.

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!
Re: Adventure Architect [Re: Error014] #34916
10/17/04 02:21
10/17/04 02:21
alabama
Drittz_Dourden Offline
User
Drittz_Dourden  Offline
User

alabama
Very nice artical's. Though i dont plan to create or play a Adventure game anytime soon.. the laws can be used in other games as well

Re: Adventure Architect [Re: Drittz_Dourden] #34917
10/17/04 02:46
10/17/04 02:46
NY USA
R
Red Ocktober Offline
Developer
Red Ocktober  Offline
Developer
R

NY USA
yep... i agree wholeheartedly with SB's comment...

good link OB, thanks

--Mike

The Economics of a 2D Adventure in Today's Market [Re: Red Ocktober] #34918
10/21/04 14:00
10/21/04 14:00
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

The Economics of a 2D Adventure in Today's Market

Quote:

...this article contains gory and gruesome details about the games business and, in particular, marketing and distribution. If you'd rather remain blissfully oblivious to the horrors of what goes on behind the scenes, this is the place to stop reading. If you're one of those people that can't help but stare at a car accident, read on.

The Inventory

Quote:

A Magazine for Adventure Games Only

The Art of Puzzle Design [Re: Orange Brat] #34919
10/26/04 00:20
10/26/04 00:20
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

The Art of Puzzle Design

Quote:

Creating puzzles is an art, like creating songs, movies or poetry. Here are my thoughts on the art of puzzle design. You'll also find links to puzzle sites and a bibliography of articles about puzzle design.

The 10 Scariest [Adventure] Games of All Time

Quote:

How scary is The Dark Eye? (Major spoiler ahead!) It has the power to so involve that you forget you are playing a game. One of the multiple story lines concerns a woman who has a sleeping sickness and, mistakenly diagnosed as dead, is buried alive. As you are occupying the character's body, you are not aware of your desperate situation. All we as the player see is a pitch-black monitor screen, and all we as the player hear is our fingernails scratching the inside of the coffin. It was right at this point of realizing that I was buried alive that my son entered the dark computer room and, since I was wearing headphones, tapped me on the shoulder. There is still to this day an indentation in the ceiling from my head.

Re: The Art of Puzzle Design [Re: Orange Brat] #34920
10/29/04 02:53
10/29/04 02:53
israel
zohar Offline
zohar  Offline

israel
maybe you alreay know it , but its good to mentioned it :

http://www.the-underdogs.org/

this site contains tons of abandonware/freeware games and reviews from all times.
it all categorized nicely .
by downloading theses old game which many of them were geniusly crafted : great puzzles , super plots , inresting and unique ideas .

you can learn a lot , and take tons of great ideas for games or for puzzles .

Nobody is perfect, I´m nobody
Adventure Developers [Re: zohar] #34921
10/31/04 00:44
10/31/04 00:44
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Adventure Developers

Quote:

Some people still say the adventure genre is dead. Some say it's sleeping. Some say it's reviving and others say the genre has never really been away. Whatever you may say, one thing's assured: there's still a lot of interest in the adventure genre.

Most publishers, however, seem to ignore this. They don't believe the traditional adventure game could make enough money anymore. In an on-the-move society where instant gratification is a must, the gaming public seems to need to always keep their mouse fingers twitching in blazing first person shoot-outs and exhilarating car chases.

This has caused the market to be flooded with mindless action oriented games, leaving us adventure gamers pretty much out in the cold.

Fortunately for us, there are still people out there who do believe in this genre. And that number of people is increasing rapidly for the past few years. We've seen very interesting projects developing by independent studios, sometimes funded by small publishers. Also fans have been creating their own 'amateur' game projects, some good, some bad, some finished, many abandoned.

Adventure Developers is not only here to tell you about all of these interesting games and developing projects, but is also a source for news. Furthermore, we're a place to discuss games, projects and other issues with our visitors. Our forums are available for developers as well, to promote their projects, ask for help, find members for their teams, and more. We also publish articles, tutorials, and other features, sometimes written by (recognised) industry professionals.

In short: we're a place for both those who're interested in playing (independently developed) adventures and for those interested in developing their own games.

We hope you'll all have a pleasant stay.

@zohar: I'm familiar with that site, but note that that most of those games still have a copyright holder; thus downloading them is piracy. In short, it's a warez site. Please consult their FAQ.

Not everything on there was commercial, though and some games may have been released to the public domain, so there are some legal downloads to be found. Also, any software that is still available commercially has only a link to where you can purchase it from.

On the legal side, it's a good site to search for old screenshots, box art, history, and other specific information about the software and industry of yesterday.

The site has changed a bit since the last time I visited which was a long time ago. All of the more well known games used to be on there, as well, but I see that all of those have been removed so that the site lives up to its "underdog" reputation.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de