by flink. 04/14/24 07:46
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (7th_zorro, 1 invisible), 581 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin
19047 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 4
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
Re: Adventure Developers [Re: Orange Brat] #34922
10/31/04 13:20
10/31/04 13:20
israel
zohar Offline
zohar  Offline

israel
Quote:

but note that that most of those games still have a copyright holder; thus downloading them is piracy. In short, it's a warez site. Please consult their FAQ.

wow , i didnt knew . sorry for that .
i dont want to link to any warez site , Ive just see that they have a link to online stores for some of the games , and to others they say to search for the game at the publisher's site , so i thought that all the rest (old ones) are abandonware .

however even without downloading , by reading the reviews of the games , you can get valuable information about good/bad ideas , things that make this title good from the other (the is a popularity meter) etc ..

and yes im against piracy , no one should download anything that is illegal .

Nobody is perfect, I´m nobody
Puzzle Implementation [Re: zohar] #34923
11/10/04 15:47
11/10/04 15:47
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Puzzle Implementation

Quote:

...one aspect of an adventure that makes or breaks the suspension of disbelief is widely pushed aside and ends up as an afterthought, not, as it should be, treated as a cornerstone of the game, possibly right up there with the story; the puzzles. A good acid test is to look at your game without the story or graphics; would I want to play it as a game simply of puzzles? And if you have trouble imagining those puzzles without the story, that's even better; your puzzles are well integrated. So here, in no particular order, are my humble thoughts on how you can make a game that has puzzles that, instead of being superfluous, actually impress the player as much as the story or graphics.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
3D or not 3D: That is the Question [Re: Orange Brat] #34924
11/12/04 11:46
11/12/04 11:46
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

3D or not 3D: That is the Question

Quote:

3D adventure gaming is somewhat a new and controversial subject. For me, it's only recently that it's become a viable medium and I'm often slightly taken aback by some of the vehemence of those within our community that rally against it. They often cite past 3D titles as being the main reason as why it would never work, a questionable move compounded by the fact that those games fail simply because they're not great games, or suffered from the technology the developers were using back at that time. There's also a pickiness associated with 3D titles that doesn't transfer to 2D ones - simply put, most adventure gamers are OK settling for a mediocre (generalising maybe, but it's an example) title like Midnight Nowhere because of its simple point-and-click mouse controls when a better game like Broken Sword 3 gets kicked in the shins for some relatively minor control problems and a couple of "Dragon's Lair" interactive cutscenes which solve themselves... not that I'm agreeing with the fact that they're there, as you can see below. But it's a worthy point that many AG'ers seem to have something against 3D which I want to try to prove isn't justified.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Adventure Gaming Websites [Re: Orange Brat] #34925
11/16/04 13:37
11/16/04 13:37
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Here are a few of the more popular news/reviews websites that are essential for adventure fans. Forums, resources, links, and the whole nine yards are also included. There are more, and you'll be able to get to them by looking around the ones below:

Just Adventure

Adventure Gamers

Game Boomers

That Doesn't Work! [Re: Orange Brat] #34926
11/27/04 05:18
11/27/04 05:18
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

That Doesn't Work!

Quote:

Depressingly Common Adventure Game Design Flaws. Inherent in all adventure games, excused in the professional ones and expected in the amateur, are the frustrations, the irksome little foibles that dog the experience, turning what should be a gleeful descent into a new pixellated fantasy into an exercise in skull-clenching horror. And yet, no matter how many windows are broken by carelessly hurled monitors, adventure games continue to contain these bugs, perhaps because even the most cherished adventures in history are sometimes guilty of the crimes, and they are as such made valid to the professional and amateur designers of today. My mission in life is to expose these disasters of gameplay, to warn others to avoid them, and as such end their tyranny on our leisure time.

This Month's Depressingly Common Adventure Game Design Flaw:

THAT DOESN'T WORK

Re: That Doesn't Work! [Re: Orange Brat] #34927
11/27/04 14:07
11/27/04 14:07
I
ISG Offline

Expert
ISG  Offline

Expert
I

Wow OB

You sure do your research for these sites, and by the looks of it you like Adventure Games? lol Just a wild guess :P

Ground Tactics - Coming Soon
Ground Tactics OFFICIAL WEBSITE
Re: That Doesn't Work! [Re: ISG] #34928
11/27/04 20:05
11/27/04 20:05
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Yeah, but for the most part I try to post things that can be applied towards other types of games, as well.

The Importance of Story [Re: Orange Brat] #34929
12/15/04 16:59
12/15/04 16:59
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

The Importance of Story Part 1

The Importance of Story Part 2

Quote:

The general lack of story-telling in video games is pretty pervasive(though not without exception). It is also, in my opinion, a big waste. If there is any medium with which a story could be conveyed powerfully, it’s video games for one simple reason: interaction. The player must take part in the reality the game creates, so they are already that much closer to things like suspension of disbelief, immersion, and identification with the characters.

21 Adventure Game Design Tips

Quote:

Over the past nine years Larry Ahern and I have worked with many different adventure game designers and on many adventure games. We both contributed heavily to the game designs for all those projects. Larry even got to co designed The Curse of Monkey Island with Jonathan Ackly. During those projects we have learned a lot about the genre including these basic adventure game design ‘rules’, or you could just consider them ‘strong suggestions’. The word ‘rules’ seem a bit strong for such a flexible genre as adventure games. Also many of these ‘rules’ can be applied successfully to other game genres as well.

Adventure Music

Quote:

There are very few tutorials on the net for making music or a soundtrack to a point and click adventure game, and the one's I read never tell you how to do it. Therefore, I'm going to give you as clear pointers as I can, so you can walk away from this tutorial and actually compose something. Of course, they're just pointers - enabling you to define your own styles etc, but I thought I'd go through some of the key elements to making in-game music.

The Making of a Computer Game [Re: Orange Brat] #34930
12/16/04 03:07
12/16/04 03:07
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

The Making of a Computer Game Part 1 of 8

Quote:

The vision is clear, if a game is totally open and without end it will have the potential to live on ad infinitum. The challenge is such a game is adding mechanisms that control the game content, but even this might not be very hard, mainly because players would be able to handle a lot by their interactions and contributions alone. The real issue is to make the “ultimate” finite state machine that can handle the reactions on all the player actions. When the complexity reach a critical point the world should take on a life of its own. This phenomenon is well known among programmers and people working with life simulations. When the simplified game theory models can be applied to a game environment the rest should be only maintenance. Maybe I am dreaming, and have moved to far into the future on the latter statements, but I actually suspect much of this is already out there, but in shards that just need to be collected and glued together.

The Fear Factor: Horror Game Design 101 [Re: Orange Brat] #34931
12/18/04 20:20
12/18/04 20:20
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

The Fear Factor: Horror Game Design 101

Quote:

In 1995, a friend and myself rented a top floor portion of an old binding factory in Downtown St. Louis, in which there was over ½ acre of floor space. Since I was about 11, I had been jotting down notes about creating my own haunted house, and finally my dream came true. I am going to cite the order of its design and construction as it can relate to the process of game development. Just imagine a virtual haunted house attraction and build it in 3D geometry instead of wood, drywall and steel studs. It is a great idea to carry a small pocket size notebook with you so you can jot down ideas. Alhtough designing and creating the story for the game is time consuming; time is on your side. Sometimes you wake up in the middle of night with an idea, so it is best to have a tablet and pen always handy. H.R. Giger did this - one result was the design for the 'Alien' creature. I can say I have been in the least 'inspired' by vivid nightmares and 'night terrors' as well.

Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de