by flink. 04/14/24 07:46
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (MadJack, AndrewAMD, Quad), 540 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
EternallyCurious, 11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin, rajesh7827
19046 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14
Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: Ganderoleg] #343544
10/06/10 23:08
10/06/10 23:08
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

Perhaps don't try to go in the Iphone way, caus such control
is similar.Why not staying with keys ?
Right, Left, Space to Jump, C to shoot etc ...
And let the user redefine the keys if needed !

I'm not sure you will be precise with mouse, for platform style.
Caus platform works lot more with keys, more natural for that type of game. A good way, submit the two methods to players and ask them the better way, i think the majority will vote simple Keys ?

Well juts my opinion laugh !

Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: ratchet] #343667
10/08/10 18:15
10/08/10 18:15
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
"Why not staying with keys?"
You're right, some (/many?) people will probably prefer the normal keyboard controls, but I did not intend to remove this type of control, it's just a variable that you can change in the main script (or later in the options panel).
Either use the mouse movement or stay with keyboard controls (and configure them yourself).

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: Ganderoleg] #343679
10/08/10 19:34
10/08/10 19:34
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

While the mouse control seems to be pretty innovative, I'm not sure if it is conform with the initial statement to make a game for kids.

I just think classic keys feel more natural, but I wasn't able to try the mouse movement, so maybe I'm all wrong here.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: FBL] #343687
10/08/10 22:12
10/08/10 22:12
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline
Ganderoleg  Offline

Balkan
Mouse/keyboard option in the game menu is not a bad idea but I believe that, in this case, both versions should have the same HUD-movement-circle design. The only visual difference could be that keyboard mode would be without the knob & mouse mode would be with the knob. Here is the quick sketch:

The problem is that in the mouse mode right-button solves the spell switch & consumption in one quick swoop, while in keyboard mode this will be very difficult: buttonX (holding) for potions to appear, buttonY to switch through & buttonZ to use? Or we could have buttonX (holding) for potions to appear, buttonY to switch through & when buttonX is released the potion is used or action is canceled if you switch to cancel slot (if switch player is South, cancel could be placed on North)?

>>Demos free3DModels Tutorials<<
>>>>>>> by Pavle Nikolic <<<<<<<

Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: Ganderoleg] #348942
12/02/10 02:04
12/02/10 02:04
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
I'm not pretty sure what's to do/ code next, I remember some points by Ganderoleg about improved AI (enemies that look for certain events and the like) but I forget more than I remember. Thus I've created a (public) to-do-list for our project which can be found here:
http://www.toodledo.com/views/public.php?id=td4cf6fbf111862

Please add everything to the list what needs to be in the game, the list is not restricted to code suggestions.

(PM me for account information.)

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: Superku] #349009
12/02/10 22:55
12/02/10 22:55
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline
Ganderoleg  Offline

Balkan
Great idea:) I will send you pm, I'm not sure how Toodledo works.

O.k. it's all figured out grin
I added few things that I remembered first, but I will go over all the levels tomorrow & see if there are some AI aspects I left behind smile

Last edited by Ganderoleg; 12/02/10 23:48.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: Ganderoleg] #349085
12/03/10 20:00
12/03/10 20:00
Bucharest, Romania
George Offline OP

Expert
George  Offline OP

Expert

Bucharest, Romania
Thank you, that todo list is a good idea! I have posted a comment on the AI section, as well as added a new item (the sky system).

Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: George] #349259
12/05/10 14:33
12/05/10 14:33
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
I've updated the to-do list with completed tasks and 1-2 questions.

There is a new movement prototype on the SkyDrive account. There are some changes and many new things (see to-do list), including a spell selection with keyboard controls, some spells and smarter enemies.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: Superku] #349302
12/05/10 21:49
12/05/10 21:49
Balkan
Ganderoleg Offline
Ganderoleg  Offline

Balkan
It's great, I tried it & everything seems to be functioning very smoothly smile I love the new Brother's ability to crawl through spaces that are in different lane smile

Few problematic things:
-Sister should be able to use the Gravity & Illusion spell while brother should be able to use only Invisibility.
-Illusion Spell is a part of the gameplay in levels 5 & 8, and, unfortunately, in both cases Sister will not be able to physically reach the needed point frown I believe that you should consider the original Illusion concept (The spell creates the visual projection identical to the caster three feet downwards or upwards. BJ shouldn’t be able to move while spell is active) or, if you think that some other solution would be better in terms of gameplay (maybe 'placing' the illusion-body in specific distance from Sister or controlling the illusion-body (moving it) until you start second part of the spell) try that one.
-The alerting (investigating) is a part of gameplay in levels 3 & 6, in level 3 guard should go from the upper room down to the four pipes when they get blocked & start emitting tick black smoke & in level 6 monster should enter the cage when food is lowered. In both cases characters should stay in those locations with only one difference, guard should react if players pass him by but monster should just eat the food no matter what happens around it grin

I added some of the remaining (non-entity oriented) needed programming solutions to Toodledo & one more Smarter Enemies addition.

Last edited by Ganderoleg; 12/05/10 21:50.

Re: Untitled Platformer - Programmers' corner [Re: Ganderoleg] #349616
12/09/10 16:59
12/09/10 16:59
Srbija
Dimme Offline
Dimme  Offline

Srbija
Hi guys,

It’s been a while since I posted anything. I am done with recording and implementing the SFX files needed for the Pavle and Martin’s non-coded level.
I have uploaded the ZIP with level on the SkyDrive in the Music section.
Also first Theme for the chapter 3 is finished and I’m currently working on the Menu theme.
Martin’s program solutions are great, i stumbled only upon two minor things.
Some sounds are not being played (cannonball hit, pick up object) and the second thing is that sound for Digger Stem Stop are being distorted when it’s played (compare file from the folder with sound you hear in the game).
Sound for the Cannonball hit and Cannonball push are being temporarily adjusted by Pavle.
I hope you will like how everything sounds but any further suggestion is welcome. Also there is a separate Txt file for each sound that controls sounds volume in case someone would like to experiment.

Greetings,

Ivan

Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  George 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de