by VoroneTZ. 04/17/24 06:52
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
5 registered members (Petra, AndrewAMD, Quad, VoroneTZ, 1 invisible), 488 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea
19048 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 4
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14
A Chat with Independent Developers [Re: Orange Brat] #34982
01/31/06 05:13
01/31/06 05:13
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

A Chat with Independent Developers

Quote:

Independent Developers. That small group of individuals with an idea to carve their own path and create games they would enjoy. Unique people with bold ideas and the drive to see them through. In the last few years, their numbers have grown from a few to dozens. It seems like every few days another one crops up with a new adventure game announcement. Many of them never seem to get beyond the announcement stage and simply fade away.

Over the last couple of years I've gotten to know several of them, and have played nearly all of their games - I even got to beta test some of them on occasion! Being able to talk one-on-one with someone whose creation kept you transfixed to your computer screen for hours, even days, is pretty rewarding. I can only compare it to being able to talk to your favorite musician whose music you escape into. I think that is one of the things that set these people apart - they are for the most part, approachable.

I realized that I had many of the same questions for each of them and thought, wouldn't it be interesting to get them all to answer those same questions at the same time? I sent out my emails pitching the idea and was overwhelmed by the response. I figured if I had 25% participation, I would be lucky. They are VERY busy individuals afterall. Net result was around 90% and a really HUGE interview!

The State of Adventure Gaming - February 2006

Quote:

On G4 TV, a group of well-known developers in a roundtable forum were asked by the host their opinions of the potential for the Xbox 360. One of them responded that it would allow him to blow things up in bigger and better ways. And we still wonder why the mainstream community looks upon gamers as idiots.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Articles for Independent Game Developers [Re: Orange Brat] #34983
03/04/06 19:28
03/04/06 19:28
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
How to Make a Game articles from PCZone [Re: Orange Brat] #34984
03/20/06 02:44
03/20/06 02:44
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

How to Make a Game

Quote:

Is it still possible for a lone coder to write a game all on his own? DAN MARSHALL finds out…

Digital Adventuring [Re: Orange Brat] #34985
03/26/06 19:41
03/26/06 19:41
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Digital Adventuring

Quote:

Among videogame clichés, the supposed death of the adventure genre takes top honors. It's the one topic that just won't go away. And one has to wonder why that is. Maybe it's because the people asking the questions, namely industry journalists, grew up playing adventure games. Or maybe it's because certain famed developers, true rockstars back in the 80s and 90s, have virtually disappeared and people wonder where they went. Sure, they're not all gone. But it's not like they're still doing their thing, either.

So, why is it? And more importantly, will people ever stop asking? The answer, not so surprisingly, is no. The adventure genre hasn't died, nor will it ever die so long as gamers care about stories. Yes, the genre finds itself in a bit of a slump. In fact, it's been sitting in that slump for years now. But that hardly translates to the passing of an entire genre - one that birthed a slew of titles as seminal for the games industry as silent shorts were for Hollywood.

Designers on Interactive Narrative [Re: Orange Brat] #34986
05/13/06 09:23
05/13/06 09:23
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Designers on Interactive Narrative

Quote:

Games are a new, different type of narrative, one that inspires emotion and immersion in ways that no other medium can, and strong interactive stories can not emulate the tactics of film. This was the central theme of "Perfecting the Mix of Story, Character Development, and Interactivity," a panel session held this afternoon, on the second day of the E3 2006.

Re: Designers on Interactive Narrative [Re: Orange Brat] #34987
05/13/06 19:23
05/13/06 19:23
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
Nice find.

My interest:
Quote:

Cage wants to see games with deeper, more mature stories, with one aspect that games in general are missing: meaning ."In this industry there's a real lack of meaning in general," he said ."Most of the time it's a hero fighting against zombies and killing everyone to save his life or whatever. There are so many other great characters and emotions we can use to create an experience. We shouldn't limit ourselves to basic things."

Great example:
Quote:

he was developing a first-person shooter. And through the simple addition of adding a wedding ring to the character's hand, he said that the game's focus test players responded overwhelmingly, asking questions about the character's past and showing an active interest.

While I think, it is mainly the things and how they appear within a level, what evokes stories in the players mind.

The Basic Marketing Plan for Indie Games [Re: Pappenheimer] #34988
05/20/06 00:00
05/20/06 00:00
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

The Basic Marketing Plan for Indie Games

Quote:

Contents of a Marketing Plan

These sections of a marketing plan are listed below.

* Goals
* Distribution
* Product
* Promotion
* Website
* Demo
* Measurement
* Maintenance
* Refinement

Re: The Basic Marketing Plan for Indie Games [Re: Orange Brat] #34989
05/20/06 20:54
05/20/06 20:54
San Francisco
JetpackMonkey Offline
Serious User
JetpackMonkey  Offline
Serious User

San Francisco
Orange, thanks for this great thread and all the links, I am eating this stuff up!

The Indie Developer's Guide to Selling Games [Re: JetpackMonkey] #34990
06/04/06 10:02
06/04/06 10:02
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Interview with the author of The Indie Developer's Guide to Selling Games

Quote:

We recently had the pleasure to devour a book that should be must reading for every single independent developer in the adventure game community. Joseph Lieberman, the author, has collected his years of experience in the gaming industry to provide an outline describing how develop, market and publish your game from start to finish.

Rather than review the book - the title of which speaks for itself - we thought you might instead enjoy this interview with the author.

Going Commercial [Re: Orange Brat] #34991
06/11/06 18:58
06/11/06 18:58
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Going Commercial

Quote:

So you want to make a living as an adventure game developer? How do you do it? And since the adventure game market is so small, how will you ever make enough money? And what if nobody likes your game enough to buy it? So many questions! Well, it's time to find some answers.

In this essay I will look at the adventure games market in general, then look at some amateur games that tried to go commercial, and then see what we can learn.

7 Witty Tactics for Funding Your Game Production

Quote:

#1 - Competitions
#2 - Selling Stuff via CafePress
#3 - Selling eBooks
#4 - Selling Books (CafePress or Lulu.com)
#5 - Donations
#6 - Text Link Ads (I expect to get $100 this month, and within coming months I’m confident to see this figure go to $200 or more)
#7 - Google AdSense. (For this income stream, I also expect to get around $100 this month and estimating the figure to double in the coming months)

18 Approaches for Setting the Right Price for Your Game

Quote:

One of the main concerns for indie game producers is how to price the game. Simplest method would be to use the ‘magical’ $19.95 price for your game, but there are more approaches available. Selecting the right price for your product is one of the key decisions in selling. Common objectives for pricing can be profit maximization, or simply - survival.

Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de