by jcl. 04/26/24 11:08
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (degenerate_762, AndrewAMD), 877 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
Re: Is 3DGS dying? [Re: Rackscha] #351990
12/30/10 14:58
12/30/10 14:58
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

To my information Conitec is not really depending on Gamestudio. It is more some sort of toy - a good toy - but the money to run the whole company comes from elsewhere (Galep and co).

Not sure if "my information" is correct, though.

Re: Is 3DGS dying? [Re: Rackscha] #351991
12/30/10 15:17
12/30/10 15:17
H
HeelX Offline
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline
Senior Expert
H

If it wasn't someone like Locoweed I didn't payed attention to this thread since too many newcomers are easily blaming things not being aware of their own shortcomings...

Well, I don't think that Gamestudio is dying since there are obviously way too many visible and invisible users. Who says that it is not vital just because there are less big commercial projects out there? I admit that through the "big" engine-licensing paragdigm shift forced by Unity some people were going elsewhere but that is just because these are engines have a total different background in money, dev team size and professionals, using it.

That is the point,.. I think it is way too easy to blame a company with lower user base and lower budget for their engine while comparing it with high priced middlewares (e.g. SpeedTree) and/or higher priced engines in mind (obviously) for which their developers has tons of people as human resources and for which they put tons of $$$ into exclusively licensed middleware (e.g. Unity3D with Umbra Occlusion Culling, Beast Lightmapping, FMod - to use this you pay min. 1000$).

I would like to know what is exactly faster with your dll programming. And what you did to your visuals with dll's that is not possible with Gamestudio. And what -reasonable- features you (I mean Locoweed, not the others!!) really want to have into the engine. The Lite-C compiler compiles obviously slower code than a VS compiled code, so, let's do not compare this.

Best regards,
-Christian

P.S: @Rakscha: if you want OOP, do it in C++!

Last edited by HeelX; 12/30/10 15:18.
Re: Is 3DGS dying? [Re: FBL] #351992
12/30/10 15:20
12/30/10 15:20
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
@Rackscha, ive always had that dream also, which is why i tend to love seeing big projects that seem as if they'll be completed, i just hate seeing when they ask for assists and they get a "how much can you pay me" by the same community thats saying they want to see completed projects

@Firoball: doesnt sound too surprising

I just dont wish to show our project until we are personally pleased with it, so far the comments on screens have been great but, we see the flawsm we're our biggest crits lol

Re: Is 3DGS dying? [Re: Gorilla123] #352007
12/30/10 18:16
12/30/10 18:16
Oz
L
Locoweed Offline OP
Expert
Locoweed  Offline OP
Expert
L

Oz
Originally Posted By: Gorilla123
What are engine are you going to use in the future? I have looked at C4, and Unity as possible options for myself.
I wouldn't say 3dgs is dying, but I do think things could be going better. Just a couple of things:
- Basic GIF format support that could remove the need for code
- New Shaders such as realistic 3d water, etc (the Shaders that 3dgs supports are truly horrible with only a couple of exceptions that usually increase memory usage a lot)
- Skyboxes (I wont even go there), there is so little choices
- Basic weather scripts that don't kill your FPS
(the new 8.10 snow script looks pretty good but kills ur FPS)
- Numerous FLAG issues already mentioned
- Most games look cartoonish like you said and the range of games possible to be made with 3dgs is very small, it's like only RPG games are really supported
- Basic features that are needed for some games are missing
- Multiplayer functions could be improved
- Many other features could be implemented to make 3dgs a whole lot better than it already is

Don't get me wrong, I really like a lot of things about the 3DGS engine. I just wish they could make an update that improved the performance up a notch some how.

As far as other engines, the Unity engine seems quite intriquing to me, but until we finish our current game I don't have a lot of time for engine testing at the moment.

Professional A8.30
Spoils of War - East Coast Games
Re: Is 3DGS dying? [Re: Locoweed] #352011
12/30/10 18:37
12/30/10 18:37
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

Quote:
P.S: @Rakscha: if you want OOP, do it in C++!
or d, or c#, or if you don't need super duper performance something like python. tongue

http://yosefk.com/c++fqa/
http://yosefk.com/c++fqa/defective.html
http://yosefk.com/c++fqa/picture.html
Quote:
The main purpose of this FQA is to convince people of the following:

There is no reason to use C++ for new projects. However, there are existing projects in C++ which might be worth working on. Weighting the positive aspects of such a project against the sad fact that C++ is involved is a matter of personal judgment.

If you end up working with C++, don't try to "fix" it (or "boost" it). You'll just add more layers of complexity. The most productive approach is to accept the problems and try to write simple code which people can easily follow.

If you are an expert in the intricacies of C++, please consider this knowledge a kind of martial art - something a real master never uses.

Re: Is 3DGS dying? [Re: ventilator] #352012
12/30/10 18:53
12/30/10 18:53
H
HeelX Offline
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline
Senior Expert
H

@ventilator: grin haha.. yeah. I don't like C++ too, and personally, I would like to bind a JAVA app to my Gamestudio app because I love JAVA ... but that is another story. And I fear the overhead... but it would be so awesome!

Last edited by HeelX; 12/30/10 18:53.
Re: Is 3DGS dying? [Re: HeelX] #352013
12/30/10 19:01
12/30/10 19:01
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

yes, a java binding would be nice. laugh

this c++ fqa (and also the c++ faq) is very interesting by the way, also if you like c++ you can learn a lot from it.

Re: Is 3DGS dying? [Re: ventilator] #352028
12/30/10 22:00
12/30/10 22:00
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Quote:
I look at the current projects and they are all cartoonish, very simple games. It seemed there was a time when there was some more serious games being created with 3DGS.
That's obviously a stylistic choice and depends on the artists, not the engine's capabilities. My game KarBOOM has a kind-of cartoony style, but you can see it also has unique multi-texturing, environment-mapped normal mapping, sharp shadows and particle shadows, too (how many games have you played where the particles cast shadows?). I look at other engines and think how much harder it would be to write the same effects for those engines, and what kind of cost to performance/visuals it would be to just use their built-in effects. Online will be released to GS users soon, and so far everything has gone very smoothly.
Quote:
Now we are on A8, we was hoping maybe the game would run faster with better bone functions, better shadow frame rates, etc, but the fps is still all the same.
Have you tried mat_bones? On my old PC with a GeForce 9600GT I had nearly 5 million bones-animated polygons on-screen at the same time with diffuse lighting and textures.
Quote:
I would like to, but not going to mess with trying to improve bone animation speeds in a dll, but obviously going to have to write some shadow code that doesn't drop the fps by 1/2.
What shadow system are you using at the moment? I would not recommend using a built-in shadow system in any engine. They generally sacrifice performance or visual fidelity for generality, but most games could really benefit from shadows made with the game itself in mind.

Jibb

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: Is 3DGS dying? [Re: JibbSmart] #352035
12/30/10 22:55
12/30/10 22:55
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

About cartoonish, it's beacause the major part of users are
passionnated coders, and they don't target realistic
last next gen graphics .
Even if they could use better models and textures some times laugh

And don't forget there are kids alos using the engine, so they are happy when they successfully make a playable game even with basic models and textures !

They have been amazing games of 3DGS in the past laugh
Good looking games on A8 only relies on people behind that
make an effort to produce good looking homogenous levels and models.

Some links :
RPG Action game

Galedor

A8, is not hold by 10 or 20 people behind, like Dark Basic Pro, but it works really well, if you know what style of project to do and if you know your limitations in game creating laugh

You'll neven create Oblivion game, so much much work on it,
so much hours and hours and thousand of people and indirect
paid people to do all the assets, textures etc ...
and all testing.

Be realistic also !
For casual games, if you know how to do it , you can go very far with A8, but are you sure to be strong and keep working on a project without discourage yourself ?
That's the main question also !

I kno how to do Next Gen models, i have the license and tools,
i oculd do some FF7 style game with next gen characters
and fixed/travelling cameras for 3D levels , with a simple
combat system !
the challenge would be to have fun tactical fights, vey good HUD look, good story, etc ... lot lot lot of work !

I already said it for A8 what i would like would better be :
- WED complete terrai editor like in Unity
- .Net programming of the engine directly for commercial version
- Integration of another free multiplayer API that would work
lot better
- possiblity to program easily your on additionnal panels
for your own tools that would run on WED (like Unity tools)

The last bad point :
Forecast things take more than one year without being made frown
Well i know there is not 4 or 5 people under the engine, but
why not putting or pay some people to create tools or program
some forecast things ???

Appart from that A8 is good for all beginners and lot better than others packages like Dark Basic Pro for example that is lot more slow and that don't have any world Editor to create
your world and attach script !

And the recent adoptio nof Nvidia Physics is a really good thing.
A library for collision detection using Nvidia Physics is on forecast.
I think it will solve lot of problems, and will allow
to use collisions in a lot more easy way !

Last edited by ratchet; 12/30/10 22:58.
Re: Is 3DGS dying? [Re: ratchet] #352037
12/30/10 23:06
12/30/10 23:06
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

Even more :
You can see on Iphone games that looks incredibly good and lot better than A8 !
And Iphone don't have all the power of a PC and all the PC shaders also !

so why it is possible ?

Simply because they use talented 3D artists to make the models
, textures, choose and appropriate lightening etc ....

And don't forget if you use clever LOD , you can have really good performances with A8 !
LOD changes all the performances laugh

It's like some AAA games on PS3 using really good tricks like shaders on some objects , and baked normal map and lightening on others (Drake 2 on PS3) !
Lot of times the floor is simple textures baked on some areas also !
And i have other game examples where you are tricked
and don't see it caus you are running all the time laugh !!

So use LOD, bake textures and lightening some times,
and use tricks also !

Well A8 is what is is, for programmers first !
And with a talented 3D artist if your game target is not too much like to compete with last AAA game you can really get somewhere and make a good game with it !

Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de