Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Zorro FIX plugin - Experimental
by flink. 04/21/24 07:12
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by EternallyCurious. 04/20/24 21:39
M1 Oversampling
by 11honza11. 04/20/24 20:57
Scripts not found
by juergen_wue. 04/20/24 18:51
zorro 64bit command line support
by 7th_zorro. 04/20/24 10:06
StartWeek not working as it should
by jcl. 04/20/24 08:38
folder management functions
by VoroneTZ. 04/17/24 06:52
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (VoroneTZ, Quad), 479 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin
19047 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Perpetuum mobile [Re: ventilator] #352776
01/05/11 21:07
01/05/11 21:07
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Originally Posted By: ventilator
the earth will fall into the sun sooner or later though. laugh so it's not a perpetuum mobile. just very long running.

right , some meters a years, because there is some cosmic dust along its orbit
However it may exist in some remote part of the universe a planet moving along a 100 % clean path
This would be e perpetuum mobile
Instead of a planet I mentioned the atoms
Nobody has ever seen an electron falling on the nucleus

Last edited by AlbertoT; 01/05/11 21:08.
Re: Perpetuum mobile [Re: Joozey] #352782
01/05/11 21:32
01/05/11 21:32
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Originally Posted By: Joozey
Finsrud's Perpetuum Mobile is cool, but not perpetual. The motion is very efficient but driven by magnetic fields, which costed quite some energy to create in the first place.

I once thought of putting a magnet in a coil in space. Give the magnet a swing and it would rotate forever. Free electricity! tongue

http://www.opserver.de/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=98875

I did not go through Finsrud's Perpetuum Mobile

However if you need to create a magnetic field only at the beginning then it would be a perpetuum mobile ,regardless of the initial cost of energy
It is also possible both in theory and in practice to create a permanent magnetic field using super conductors

If you use the magnetic field to generate a current then the current itself shall induce in the super conductor a counter electromagnetic force which quench the magnetic field

The magnetic field is permanent as long as it does not supply energy

Last edited by AlbertoT; 01/05/11 21:34.
Re: Perpetuum mobile [Re: AlbertoT] #352788
01/05/11 22:04
01/05/11 22:04
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

i always wondered about orbits of planets and moons. even with a perfect vacuum with no dust, wouldn't the velocity have to be perfectly adjusted too if there never should be a collision?

Re: Perpetuum mobile [Re: ventilator] #352799
01/05/11 22:53
01/05/11 22:53
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
Quote:
The magnetic field is permanent as long as it does not supply energy

I guess this is the quirk then in such a device? The field weakens at the friction of the passing ball?

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: Perpetuum mobile [Re: ventilator] #352807
01/06/11 00:08
01/06/11 00:08
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Originally Posted By: ventilator
i always wondered about orbits of planets and moons. even with a perfect vacuum with no dust, wouldn't the velocity have to be perfectly adjusted too if there never should be a collision?

The centrifugal force Fc = m * V^2 / r

must match

The gravitational force Fg = g m * M / r^2

From the equation you get V

The exact calculus is much more complicated because the center of mass of the system is not the center of mass of the sun
The orbit is not a perfect circle
You should consider also a tangent inertial force

However the final result wiil be very close to the one you get from the simplified equation, the mass of the sun being much bigger than the one of the earth

Re: Perpetuum mobile [Re: AlbertoT] #352830
01/06/11 10:00
01/06/11 10:00
Cambridge
Joey Offline
Expert
Joey  Offline
Expert

Cambridge
two-body problems can still be solved analytically, you can reduce it to a one-body problem with fixed center. just replace the orbiting body's mass by its reduced mass (µ = (m*M)/(m+M)).
besides, circles are not the only stable orbits; in fact, any orbit is stable since the effective potential includes a repulsive centrifugal term which goes ~ 1/r^2, while gravity is ~ 1/r, so in principle you can't ever reach the center.
there are two orbit types (in theory there are three but the third one is not interesting):
1. passing by (high velocity): you get nearer to the center, pass by it and then fly away and never come back
2. oribt: everything else, you're captured in the potential. always stable

with stable i mean, of course, that the planet never falls into the sun. this is not correct, obviously, since the sun has a specific diameter and like that even not reaching its gravitational center could destroy the orbiting planet.

as for the moon: it is not a perfect perpetuum mobile, mostly because it pulls on earth's water and the friction on earth then drags energy out of the moon.

Re: Perpetuum mobile [Re: Joey] #353003
01/07/11 08:23
01/07/11 08:23
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
Quote:
as for the moon: it is not a perfect perpetuum mobile, mostly because it pulls on earth's water and the friction on earth then drags energy out of the moon.

Interesting, I searched for that, and I ended on Tidal Acceleration
But it appears that your description is only the case for moons that orbit faster than their host planet rotates. Like Phobos moving much faster than its host, it slowly spirals down towards Mars. In turn the planet rotation speeds up (tides also exist on planets without liquid, the effect is just smaller).

The moon is slower, causes the tides on earth to move ahead of the moon which accelerates the moon and decelerates earth's rotation.

Last edited by Joozey; 01/07/11 08:23.

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: Perpetuum mobile [Re: Joozey] #353060
01/07/11 16:34
01/07/11 16:34
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Quote:
No I don't. The Bohr atom model is able to predict the energy levels of an atom to some extend but it is wrong. Electrons don't move around the core.

Quote:
Also wanted to say something about that. But it's in vain, because most people won't accept any simple answer and them being not that into this stuff, explaining can be very hard.

You did not get the point
I know that the atom of Bohr is just a rough rappresentation of the reality
But if it were also in conflict with the law of thermodynamics, it would have been refuted from the very beginning
Just a matter of common sense

I wonder how much you are into this stuff laugh

Last edited by AlbertoT; 01/07/11 16:38.
Re: Perpetuum mobile [Re: AlbertoT] #353063
01/07/11 17:09
01/07/11 17:09
Cambridge
Joey Offline
Expert
Joey  Offline
Expert

Cambridge
In fact it has always been known that this model is wrong when you describe it classicaly, this is because moving charge emits an electromagnetic wave which drags energy out of the system. You can calculate how much time it has before the electron falls into the nucleus and its, as far as I can remember, less than a second. So yes, it contradicts classical electrodynamics. Bohr knew about that problem.
The thing is that the Bohr model was successfully describing the discrete energy lines of quicksilver with high accuracy, something which other models were not able to do, so there has to be some truth to it (and there is, namely the quantization of angular momentum and the probabilistic interpretation of quantum mechanics which give discrete energy levels).

There are many more problems with this model:
1. emission of electromagnetic energy
2. atoms are not "flat": conservation of angular momentom suggests flat orbits, though
3. angular momentum of the ground state is in fact zero, so there is no orbital movement
4. it contradicts Heisenberg's uncertainty principle: you cannot know momentum and position to an arbitrary high precision; alternatively you cannot know the complete angular momentum vector.

Originally Posted By: AlbertoT
I wonder how much you are into this stuff laugh

I've once read a physics book when I was... dunno... fourteen or so.

Re: Perpetuum mobile [Re: Joey] #353074
01/07/11 17:50
01/07/11 17:50
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

What does classic electromagnetism have to do with thermodynamics laws ?

Bohr claimed : let's assume that the moving charges do not emit energy in some conditions
He did not say : Lets assume that the termodynamica laws are not valid at atomic scale

Once you accept , by hyphotesis, that the electron does not emit energy then you accept also that certain orbits are stable even though the thermodynamics laws remain valid

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite