Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AbrahamR), 717 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: terrorism? [Re: ventilator] #359254
02/16/11 14:35
02/16/11 14:35
Canada
WretchedSid Offline
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline
Expert

Canada
Originally Posted By: ventilator
regarding hiroshima and nagasaki... i don't quite get why it was necessary to wipe out two cities instead of demonstrating the bomb on some empty area.

There are several theories around the atomic bombs, the common one is that the US had very heavy casualties on Okinawa and thus needed some way to force Japan to surrender, otherwise the casualties on the Japanese homeland would be much much higher (at the end of the Okinawa campaign the reinforcement died mostly a few hours after arriving at the front due to almost no experience and training, thus the US had to wait a long time after Okinawa to come back to full strength, giving Japan also time to reinforce).

Beside that, some experts think that the atomic bombs weren't needed as the constant shelling of Japan from air and see was already enough to force Japan to surrender after a few more weeks/months but the US government still wanted to demonstrate the strength of the new weapons.

Anyway, its part of our history and nonsense to discuss it. Fact is that it stopped the most brutal war and we should be thankful for that.

Now you can all bash again about the definition of terrorism and who should die for whatever reason.

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com
Re: terrorism? [Re: Random] #359256
02/16/11 14:41
02/16/11 14:41
GUILIN , CHINA
tzw Offline
tzw  Offline

GUILIN , CHINA
BOTH ARE JUST FOR OWN INTERST. one called freedom fighter,the other called the reveloutioner .... justice? injustce ?;true? wrong? ;angel? evil? it is up to your side. there is a only thing --the weak who die ...hehe^

Full of my eyes are class struggles.....
Re: terrorism? [Re: tzw] #359273
02/16/11 15:56
02/16/11 15:56
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
Quote:
then why is it we get atomic weapons but no one else does?

The cold war. Also that was after world war II, so it doesn't apply to your argument that up until world war II america was a total bully to every other nation on earth.

Quote:
why is it that we are trying our hardest to "own" the internet.

Our country did see the first achievements that might be called the internet, so it is technically ours (that's just one way to think of it). But even then the internet wasn't created until at least the sixties. So this doesn't apply to your argument either.

Quote:
there is no denying that the us seems to think that every one of our opinions can be the only opinion.

That's not true, but we are the strongest nation on earth (not saying that as a braggart, I personally don't think it'll last another two centuries). Our economy is about 100 times stronger than the economy of the next nation down. And I like to think our heritage of liberty, political and personal, is one that is as important as it is true. There are certain evidences like these that show clues as to what is right, and what isn't.

The problem I see with the american public is a grotesque lack of civic thinking, an intelligence that is respectful of the decisions and achievements of our ancestors while being educated and mindful of the views and beliefs our country was founded on, namely those of Judeo-Christianity. Even if you are not a christian yourself, you must surely recognize that America was founded as a christian nation, is a christian nation, and is not compatible with the worldviews of other nations that are founded on beliefs such as Islam, etc. Although we ought to strive to be as peaceful as possible when the ends meet properly.

Nations have religious identities. Most of America's founding fathers were not christian, but they were able to recognize this. Surely you can too.

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Re: terrorism? [Re: Redeemer] #359276
02/16/11 16:05
02/16/11 16:05
Canada
WretchedSid Offline
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline
Expert

Canada
Quote:
Our country did see the first achievements that might be called the internet, so it is technically ours (that's just one way to think of it). But even then the internet wasn't created until at least the sixties. So this doesn't apply to your argument either.

Sorry, but Al Gore might think that he invented the internet, but in fact it is an european invention made at the Cern.

Re: terrorism? [Re: WretchedSid] #359295
02/16/11 17:40
02/16/11 17:40
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Quote:
The bombing of Japan was not a terrorist attack by any stretch of the imagination. It was our (correct) response to Japan's refusal to surrender.

While considering USA a bastion of western civilization ( Shame on us, Europeans , who often insult America) , the bomb is an indelebile stain on the coscience of your country

I watched a movie "The Nurenberg trial"
Goring said
" You are also racists "
" The black people , you mean ?"
"No,because you droped the bomb on Japan"
"It was an act of war "
" Really? Be honest, would you drop the bomb on Germany ?"

I dont know whether this dialogue was just a fiction
The bomb was not available yet, so nobody knows the answer
But I am sure American would never drop the bomb on Germany

Last edited by AlbertoT; 02/16/11 17:41.
Re: terrorism? [Re: WretchedSid] #359296
02/16/11 17:55
02/16/11 17:55
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
Originally Posted By: JustSid
Quote:

Sorry, but Al Gore might think that he invented the internet, but in fact it is an european invention made at the Cern.

Yep, too bad Al Gore invented the internet. If he hadn't, we would've never known he didn't invent the internet. tongue

But seriously... I thought the internet was first created as a part of the United States military in the 1960's..? But I guess I must be wrong.

Re: terrorism? [Re: Redeemer] #359297
02/16/11 18:03
02/16/11 18:03
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

the www got invented by tim berners-lee at the cern.

the internet/arpanet got invented by the us military.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28nominal%29
how exactly is the us economy 100 times more powerful than the second largest? laugh

about military strength... the us could wipe out the surface of the planet 100 times, russia maybe 80 times and china and france 5 times (just quite random guesses). great! laugh

Re: terrorism? [Re: jenGs] #359300
02/16/11 18:16
02/16/11 18:16
Turkey, Izmir
Emre Offline
User
Emre  Offline
User

Turkey, Izmir
Originally Posted By: jenGs

But .. We need a powerfull democratic(!) country. Somebody has to play the world police. If nobody does that, we would be the pawn of countries like china. (We allready are in economics ... )
Somehow the USA are still a respected military force. And that is good.

But i don't understand what's the difference. Usa or China or Russia. Killer is killer right?

For example; (Sorry ventilator, this is just for fun laugh )

Just check the picture and tell me, that is terror or not. Maybe today america is our friend. But in the future? What you gonna do, when ventilator attacked to you? Who can help you?

America is not world police. World police is United Nations. and america does not fight for peace, just for self interest/benefit(or whatever). in my opinion america acts like a bandit and that's dangerous for future of the world. That's the point.

Re: terrorism? [Re: Emre] #359307
02/16/11 19:04
02/16/11 19:04
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
The United Nations is a joke. No one government will ever be able to tame the entire human race. But that's speaking directly from my own beliefs.

Re: terrorism? [Re: Redeemer] #359315
02/16/11 19:35
02/16/11 19:35
Canada
WretchedSid Offline
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline
Expert

Canada
Originally Posted By: Redeemer
The United Nations is a joke. No one government will ever be able to tame the entire human race. But that's speaking directly from my own beliefs.

I totally agree with you. There is always some agressor needed to gain peace, so what we really need for worldpeace are aliens. Some agressor from outside so that we can team up and kill 'em.
I mean, its the whole same thing here in europe, germans naturally hate france (I think we stated this already with more than two wars pretty good), but the agressor UdSSR and now terrorism keeps us in peace.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite