Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
Help with plotting multiple ZigZag
by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
M1 Oversampling
by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (ChrstphFr, AndrewAMD), 868 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: terrorism? [Re: WretchedSid] #359319
02/16/11 19:40
02/16/11 19:40
Caucasus
3run Offline
Senior Expert
3run  Offline
Senior Expert

Caucasus
Am I aggressor for u guys? frown
BTW I'm not alien... and terrorist either...

Looking for free stuff?? Take a look here: http://badcom.at.ua
Support me on: https://boosty.to/3rung
Re: terrorism? [Re: 3run] #359321
02/16/11 19:47
02/16/11 19:47
Canada
WretchedSid Offline
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline
Expert

Canada
I actually meant the cold war russia, not the modern one =/

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com
Re: terrorism? [Re: Redeemer] #359322
02/16/11 19:54
02/16/11 19:54
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
its well know, nothing brings people together like a common enemy laugh
Originally Posted By: Redeemer
Quote:
then why is it we get atomic weapons but no one else does?

The cold war. Also that was after world war II, so it doesn't apply to your argument that up until world war II america was a total bully to every other nation on earth.

Quote:
why is it that we are trying our hardest to "own" the internet.

Our country did see the first achievements that might be called the internet, so it is technically ours (that's just one way to think of it). But even then the internet wasn't created until at least the sixties. So this doesn't apply to your argument either.

Those don't apply directly to the second ww true. but they are prime examples of our "we are the boss, and better than everyone" attitude. As far as being the most powerful country in the world... Maybe from a military stand point, but from an economic standpoint, even places like china are whiping the floor with us. The USD is inflating at an astronomical rate. The federal reserve is handing out money to banks, at almost no cost to the banks, without regard as to whether that bank will loan it out and ever get it back. and of course the bank is guaranteed safety. And each time this happens the cash in your wallet is worth less and less.

EDIT: adding to that the fact that our nation imports everything and exports nothing now a days, plus the fact that the average high school graduate is dumber than a box of rocks and studders through a simple reading test.... its not going to get better with this next generation. If kids are indeed our future, i dont want to be around america to see whats in store for them.

As far as judeo-christian beliefs being the foundation of america.... no. back then many people were dumb enough to believe the god had rights in government. We've grown up (or at least should have by now) and even the founding fathers had the foresight to create a constitution for rules to be tested against... how about we actually use it instead of succumbing to greedy lobbyists, self-interested politicians, and millions of uneducated voters that vote for the candidate that claims to match their political views instead of one that is looking to make us laws follow the constitution instead.

Last edited by lostclimate; 02/16/11 19:59.
Re: terrorism? [Re: lostclimate] #359332
02/16/11 20:29
02/16/11 20:29
Germany
Lukas Offline

Programmer
Lukas  Offline

Programmer

Germany
Quote:
The problem I see with the american public is a grotesque lack of civic thinking, an intelligence that is respectful of the decisions and achievements of our ancestors while being educated and mindful of the views and beliefs our country was founded on, namely those of Judeo-Christianity. Even if you are not a christian yourself, you must surely recognize that America was founded as a christian nation, is a christian nation, and is not compatible with the worldviews of other nations that are founded on beliefs such as Islam, etc. Although we ought to strive to be as peaceful as possible when the ends meet properly.

Nations have religious identities. Most of America's founding fathers were not christian, but they were able to recognize this. Surely you can too.

As lostclimate already said, this is not true. The founding fathers were secularists. They founded the USA as a SECULAR country where religion should play no role in poltics.
You want evidence? Just take a look at your constitution (which you already should have done, as an American):
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Constitution_of_the_United_States_of_America
Now search for words like "god", "christian", "religion", "religious", etc. Only the term "religious" will return ONE match:
Originally Posted By: Constitution of the United States of America, Article VI (only the last sentence
The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.

"but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States." wink
Would the founding fathers have written this without mentioning it anywhere else if they wanted to found a christian nation? Of course they wouldn't have. But they did, because they were secularists.

Nations don't need religious identities.

The "In god we trust" and other references to god were added much later. The founding fathers would spin in their graves.

Re: terrorism? [Re: Lukas] #359368
02/17/11 01:28
02/17/11 01:28
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
Quote:
back then many people were dumb enough to believe the god had rights in government.

Eh? That's not what I said. I said America was founded by men who were not Christians themselves, but had Christian mindsets. Of course God plays no political part in America.

Quote:
As far as being the most powerful country in the world... Maybe from a military stand point, but from an economic standpoint, even places like china are whiping the floor with us

I agree with you that China will soon surpass us, but here's the current data:
United States GDP: 14.660 trillion USD
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_the_United_States
China's GDP: 5.88 trillion USD
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China

China's catching up fast. But for now America is still on top.

Quote:
Nations don't need religious identities.

You bet they do. Religion forms the foundation of human intelligence. You cannot invent a proof without first taking some unprovable "truths" for granted. Your religion, the base of all your understanding, is atheism. And you cannot prove that God does not exist, no more than I can prove that He does.

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Re: terrorism? [Re: Redeemer] #359371
02/17/11 01:50
02/17/11 01:50
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
our gdp is not a good estimate of our strength, its our ability to move forward from here, and as even you admitted, we are falling very quickly.

As far as religious identity, why do we need one? why do we need to invent invisible people just to be civil to each other, or run a decent economy? I'm sorry but people who say that we need christian values in american politics do nothing but make me angry because that is essentially a slap in the face and insulting to the core principles of what america was created for.

Re: terrorism? [Re: lostclimate] #359376
02/17/11 03:14
02/17/11 03:14
GUILIN , CHINA
tzw Offline
tzw  Offline

GUILIN , CHINA
japan? l just know millions of chinese have been killed.. including my great grandfather...

Last edited by tzw; 02/17/11 03:15.

Full of my eyes are class struggles.....
Re: terrorism? [Re: tzw] #359416
02/17/11 14:47
02/17/11 14:47
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
Quote:
I'm sorry but people who say that we need christian values in american politics do nothing but make me angry because that is essentially a slap in the face and insulting to the core principles of what america was created for.

Not really. America was created based on christian principles, but the funny thing about that is that christian principles include peace and kindness. We don't mind if other people exercise knowledge based on other religions within other general area. We can't escape it, so we put up with it, as long as it does us no harm. Hence the separation of church and state: legally, we believe your beliefs should play no part in your participation in the government of this nation.

Thing is, as we let people with different principles within our nation, they begin to change the understandings of our people. That's the way it works for any system of beliefs. Religion has a bleeding effect. So ultimately, no Christian nation here on earth will ever last forever. In fact, we're such a nation so open to ideas, I imagine we'd only last a few centuries before we're knocked out...

Anyway, why do nations need religions? Like I said before, it's within my understanding that religion and unprovable beliefs form the foundation of human intelligence. In order to understand the world, different people will come up with different answers to these three core questions of our existance:

1. Where have we come from?
2. What has gone wrong?
3. How can we fix the problem?

After answering these questions, the people will then hypothesize, theorize, and generally develop ideas that answer other questions of their existance, such as:

1. What is good?
2. What is evil?
3. What is love?
4. What is hate?

And so on. Actually, those previous questions are usually answered subconsciously when we are very young, as our parents raise us. But anyway, we eventually we begin to develop less philosophical ideas and answer questions like:

1. Survival?
2. Economics?
3. Government?
4. Astonomy?
5. Technology?
6. Biology?
7. Chemisty?
8. Genetics?

And we end up with what's called a worldview, the "perspective" of our understanding, the limit of our knowledge. As humans, we all develop rational thinking. So our differences in thinking, then, are just the result of either two things: misunderstandings, or a clear difference of opinion on certain key questions that we are all naturally born with.

Well. There are obviously differences of opinion, then. And what that means (and what history shows us) is that people with similar views and understandings will tend to flock together and form coalitions, or nations, together. So those nations are ultimately built on... religion! Thus proving my point that all nations are built on core principles and beliefs.

This is a bit of a tangent, but if that's what a nation is, what is war? Pure stupidity? Not at all. It's a violent conflict based on unproveable human hypotheses regarding the core questions of our existance. Some stupidity and ineptitude has definitely played a role in the past (the Mexican War comes to my mind). But generally speaking wars are caused by something much bigger than just petty misunderstandings or a lack of intelligence.

The funny thing about human intelligence, is that if we have "core questions," where did those core questions come from? Heck, where did our intelligence come from? Why are we here, and how is it that we are asking, "Why are we here?"

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Re: terrorism? [Re: Redeemer] #359451
02/17/11 19:30
02/17/11 19:30
Random Offline OP
User
Random  Offline OP
User

Now it`s getting interesting.

To become a human is a art.
To know or to search the truth is like the punishment of Atlas.
But living in a herd like a sheep, far away the truth is blessing.
So why searching for the truth, is it the best to be the happe sheep in a big herd? grin
Why is Rothshild no terrorist?
Or maby they are they terrorist.

PS; please peapole respeckt all the arguments of another.
Try to discuse this like intelligent or gental humans.

Re: terrorism? [Re: Random] #359460
02/17/11 19:53
02/17/11 19:53
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
Again, what do questions like "were do we come from" and "why are we here" have anything to do with government at all?

and now your just making things up, claiming that christian beliefs are based on peace... thats hilarious and completely untrue. What about the crusades... early ninties bosnia... the salem witch trials. Christianity, just like any other religion (besides some of the far eastern cultures that include things like toaism, confucism, etc.) are all nothing but excuses and scapegoats for people to commit atrocities. and you'll probably use the excuse I used when i was a christian. "those arent real christians, god is really loving", then explain the slaughter of jericho in the old testament, or the fact the in the christian belief system, why a young males genitals being mutilated is not his choice but necessary in its religion. OR RIGHT NOW WHY YOUR USING CHRISTIANITY AS A BASIS FOR WHY ITS OK TO KILL THOUSANDS OF MUSLIMS, AND TREATING EVER MUSLIM LIKE THEY HAVE A BOMB STRAPPED TO THERE CHEST.

that last part wasnt supposed to be yelling, I just am too lazy to make it bold, so i chose caps t make it pop tongue

Last edited by lostclimate; 02/17/11 19:53.
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite