Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Trading Journey
by M_D. 04/26/24 20:22
Help with plotting multiple ZigZag
by M_D. 04/26/24 20:03
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
M1 Oversampling
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:12
Why Zorro supports up to 72 cores?
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:09
Eigenwerbung
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:08
MT5 bridge not working on MT5 v. 5 build 4160
by EternallyCurious. 04/25/24 20:49
Zorro FIX plugin - Experimental
by flink. 04/21/24 07:12
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (M_D, Quad, Ayumi, AndrewAMD), 810 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: terrorism? [Re: lostclimate] #359462
02/17/11 20:11
02/17/11 20:11
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Quote:
explain the slaughter of jericho in the old testament, or the fact the in the christian belief system, why a young males genitals being mutilated is not his choice but necessary in its religion
You mean Judaism.

It's true that Christianity has been used (and manipulated) to meet political agendas. Religions often have. Separation of Church and State prevents the twisting and perversion of religions by political agendas, but other scapegoats can always be found -- WMDs, for example. If the US was attached to a church like many powers were centuries ago, it'd be a religious excuse. It'd be no more justifiable. And the religion getting abused would be no more to blame.

Jibb

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: terrorism? [Re: JibbSmart] #359464
02/17/11 20:22
02/17/11 20:22
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
Christianity and Judaism are the same religion with a couple of changed rules, and an update on the supposed way to go to heaven. they still believe in circumcision and they still believe that the destroying of Jericho, or any other nation, if god's will, is appropriate and justified.

Re: terrorism? [Re: lostclimate] #359466
02/17/11 20:31
02/17/11 20:31
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Christians don't practice circumcision -- this changed early enough that you can find it in the book of Acts when they're asking if non-Jewish believers should have to be circumcised, and they decide not.

Also, Judaism (or at least Old Testament Judaism) doesn't have a concept of Heaven or Hell as an afterlife -- just an unknowable pseudo-existence (Sheol) for everyone, regardless of faith or "righteousness".

Jibb

I made KarBOOM!
Re: terrorism? [Re: JibbSmart] #359467
02/17/11 20:38
02/17/11 20:38
Damocles_ Offline
Expert
Damocles_  Offline
Expert

About the initial post:

The nuclear Bombing Japan was not mainly pursued to end the war or whatever.
The main purpose was to show off the magnitute and effectiveness of the bombs.
(In fact, the bombs where in production for years,
and where initially thought to be used against Germany.)

The second bombing was to test the difference between
Uranium and Plutonium designs.

Add some propaganda and Hollywood movies, and the bombing
is regarded "nessesary" in the US.

-----

In the end, using the V2 Rockets by Germany had the same
intentions. it was a new technology, used to show off and scare opponents.
Its a war logic, but its not "moral" by todays understanding.

Re: terrorism? [Re: lostclimate] #359468
02/17/11 20:41
02/17/11 20:41
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
Quote:
Christianity and Judaism are the same religion with a couple of changed rules, and an update on the supposed way to go to heaven.

Actually, there is a very big difference between the two religions. True Christianity is about salvation by faith alone. That's stressed repeatedly in the Bible, especially the New Testament. Judaism is based on salvation through physical, human works of redemption. Sure, we both believe in one sole God, but the similarities stop right about there.

Christianity has nothing to do with church attendance, priests, crusades, worship of the saints, or any of those other physical institutions. Like many people, you have confused Christianity with Roman Catholicism, which in my opinion is a complete heresy. The Roman Catholic church has performed hundreds of atrocities (like the ones you mentioned) in the name of God. They kept the Bible locked up for hundreds of years through the middle ages, and led people on wild goose chases for redemption.

True Christianity has nothing to do with that. The Christianity I follow is known as Protestantism, which you can see here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protestantism

About circumcision: circumcision is a law of Judaism, but is not a part of Christianity. Some christian parents do it as a symbol of their family's beliefs, but it is not required by God.

Finally, about Jericho: God was not wrong for having the people there slaughtered. Man is wholly God's, and He has the right to build up, and to destroy. God is not on the same level of being that man is, and He does not "owe" us anything, not even life. Nonetheless, He is a God who loves man and is not quick to anger.

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Re: terrorism? [Re: Redeemer] #359470
02/17/11 21:00
02/17/11 21:00
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
Originally Posted By: Redeemer
Quote:
Christianity and Judaism are the same religion with a couple of changed rules, and an update on the supposed way to go to heaven.

Actually, there is a very big difference between the two religions. True Christianity is about salvation by faith alone. That's stressed repeatedly in the Bible, especially the New Testament. Judaism is based on salvation through physical, human works of redemption. Sure, we both believe in one sole God, but the similarities stop right about there.

Christianity has nothing to do with church attendance, priests, crusades, worship of the saints, or any of those other physical institutions. Like many people, you have confused Christianity with Roman Catholicism, which in my opinion is a complete heresy. The Roman Catholic church has performed hundreds of atrocities (like the ones you mentioned) in the name of God. They kept the Bible locked up for hundreds of years through the middle ages, and led people on wild goose chases for redemption.

True Christianity has nothing to do with that. The Christianity I follow is known as Protestantism, which you can see here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protestantism

I do not have it confused at all. I was a non-denominational christian most of my life until i started using a little common sense and logic. I know full well that original judaism is based off of works and sacrifice. but christianity's only difference is that if you believe christ to be the ultimate sacrifice as opposed to your first fruits, best cattle , whatever.. then you'll be forgiven. It doesnt mean though that things like the 10 commandments, and everything else in the old testament is meaningless to the religion. You just get a free get out of jail card if you screw up.

And please. dont try to tell me what i have confused about the christian religion. I very much understand the difference.

10 seconds on google:
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/cruelty/nt_list.html
and your saying the new testament doesnt promote violence? and again, you still are dodging the question of what religion and polotics have to do with eachother, or why the government needs to have any correlation with the questions like "why are we here" and such.

Re: terrorism? [Re: lostclimate] #359476
02/17/11 21:36
02/17/11 21:36
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Let's not get carried too far off topic by unrelated religious discussion (pro- or anti-). Such discussions are what this forum is made for, but not this topic.

Jibb

I made KarBOOM!
Re: terrorism? [Re: JibbSmart] #359477
02/17/11 21:40
02/17/11 21:40
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
yeah, thats why i had to add that last part, it seems like topics in this forum always somehow get dragged to religion laugh

Re: terrorism? [Re: lostclimate] #359478
02/17/11 21:45
02/17/11 21:45
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Yeah, I was doing it too -- it's so hard not to!

Jibb

I made KarBOOM!
Re: terrorism? [Re: JibbSmart] #359481
02/17/11 22:01
02/17/11 22:01
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
Quote:
you still are dodging the question of what religion and polotics have to do with eachother, or why the government needs to have any correlation with the questions like "why are we here" and such.

I'm not dodging the question, it's just hard for me to keep track of a discussion as stringy as this one. tongue

It seems to me that we can't convince each other of anything, so the best thing to do would be to stop arguing. laugh

Besides, Jibb's right... This thread has nothing to do with religion. I had a purpose for starting up that discussion, but I should've done it in another thread.

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite