by juergen_wue. 04/20/24 18:51
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
5 registered members (Petra, AndrewAMD, VoroneTZ, 2 invisible), 822 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea
19048 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: The 3DGS collision system is AWFUL. [Re: 3run] #365697
03/28/11 16:53
03/28/11 16:53
North America
Redeemer Offline OP
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline OP
Serious User

North America
If we keep pestering him, he'll cave eventually.

At the very, very least jcl could put AABB support back into gamestudio... I'm sure it can't be that hard to put back in.

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Re: The 3DGS collision system is AWFUL. [Re: Redeemer] #365699
03/28/11 17:03
03/28/11 17:03
Lübeck
Slin Offline
Expert
Slin  Offline
Expert

Lübeck
Seriously...
WHY?
I just can´t get what you would need that for. As if the current one plus basicly any shape using physx would not be enough. Most other engines (for example Unity and ShiVa) do only have the ones supported by the physics engine and no one really complains.
There are much more important things for Gamestudio than collision shapes, so better learn coding, to do at least some things on your own. I btw really doubt that an AABB box would instantly solve all your problems and that the old system is gone without good reason...

Re: The 3DGS collision system is AWFUL. [Re: Slin] #365708
03/28/11 18:19
03/28/11 18:19
Da wo du nicht bist! Muhahaha!
xxxxxxx Offline
User
xxxxxxx  Offline
User

Da wo du nicht bist! Muhahaha!
i never used AABB, so i cant say what is better(and i couldn't use it with my commertial)! but there is onething i realy hate:
Why does the polygon-flag don't use polygon-colision-detection when the entity moves?(i know that's no bug and sorry for my bad english)
this makes my script x-times slower, to check which entitys the entity hits mad
thats one of the reasons why im trying to use physX for movent, fighting... EVERYTHING
xxxxxxx

Es ist immer wieder erstaunlich, dass Leute die riesen Scripte schreiben die einfachsten sachen nicht können zb. mich mit SIEBEN x zu schreiben! tongue
Re: The 3DGS collision system is AWFUL. [Re: xxxxxxx] #365711
03/28/11 18:47
03/28/11 18:47
Lübeck
Slin Offline
Expert
Slin  Offline
Expert

Lübeck
Originally Posted By: xxxxxxx

Why does the polygon-flag don't use polygon-colision-detection when the entity moves?(i know that's no bug and sorry for my bad english)

Originally Posted By: xxxxxxx

this makes my script x-times slower, to check which entitys the entity hits mad

laugh

Re: The 3DGS collision system is AWFUL. [Re: Slin] #365724
03/28/11 20:20
03/28/11 20:20
North America
Redeemer Offline OP
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline OP
Serious User

North America
Originally Posted By: Slin
Seriously...
WHY?
I just can´t get what you would need that for. As if the current one plus basicly any shape using physx would not be enough. Most other engines (for example Unity and ShiVa) do only have the ones supported by the physics engine and no one really complains.
There are much more important things for Gamestudio than collision shapes, so better learn coding, to do at least some things on your own. I btw really doubt that an AABB box would instantly solve all your problems and that the old system is gone without good reason...

Did you read Jibb's thread on the matter?

We need AABBs and/or cylinders because they have flat sides and flat bottoms. When you trace with an ellipsoid, you tend to get all kinds of crazy surface normals and data that's simply inaccurate. Ellipsoids just don't work for a number of game genres, specifically first person shooters.

physX is nice, but doesn't offer enough control for people who want to create proper actor movement, among other things.

Anyway, if ellipsoids are so great, why doesn't every other game engine in the world use them? Actually, why is Gamestudio the only game engine that uses them? Obviously they're not good for much. Last I checked, Unreal engine uses cylinders and id Tech uses AABBs. And they use them for a reason...

Last edited by Redeemer; 03/28/11 20:25.

Re: The 3DGS collision system is AWFUL. [Re: Redeemer] #365729
03/28/11 20:37
03/28/11 20:37
Lübeck
Slin Offline
Expert
Slin  Offline
Expert

Lübeck
Quote:

physX is nice, but doesn't offer enough control for people who want to create proper actor movement, among other things.

I actually think that the problem is not the lack of control, but the many possibilities to control things. The hard part is to setup the correct factors correctly to get the wanted simulation.

I didn´t state that ellipsoids are "so great". But in the end they also aren´t worse then especially AABB boxes.
I btw heavily doubt that the ellipsoidal bounding box is responsible for strange results when tracing.

Re: The 3DGS collision system is AWFUL. [Re: Slin] #365741
03/28/11 21:36
03/28/11 21:36
North America
Redeemer Offline OP
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline OP
Serious User

North America
Quote:
I actually think that the problem is not the lack of control, but the many possibilities to control things. The hard part is to setup the correct factors correctly to get the wanted simulation.

PhysX is just too prone to problems. Even if you are able to properly set up enough fail safes to support normal actor movement in PhysX, you would be wasting tons of processing power, and the solution would be delicate and full of bugs. Full physics solutions tend to cause objects to bounce and jitter around their environment, which would make things look extremely ugly at best.

Once again, if this solution works well, why doesn't any other game developer use it?

Quote:
I btw heavily doubt that the ellipsoidal bounding box is responsible for strange results when tracing.

Here's a test case: create a block in wed. Place an entity above the block, such that the entity is partly on top of the block but mostly off. Now use c_trace in combination with USE_BOX to trace straight downwards from the entity. A box or cylinder would give you a surface normal of 1, but since the trace is really using an ellipsoid you will get some crazy number between 1 and 0. That is bad.

So, once again: boxes and cylinders are used in every engine I can think of for a reason. They work 99% of the time, use little processing power compared to highly complicated solutions like PhysX, and are simple to create and maintain (relatively speaking). They are the optimal collision method for all types of games, from first person shooters, to platformers, beat-em-ups, sports games, and adventure games. So why does Gamestudio use ellipsoids, of all things?

Re: The 3DGS collision system is AWFUL. [Re: Redeemer] #365747
03/28/11 21:50
03/28/11 21:50
Lübeck
Slin Offline
Expert
Slin  Offline
Expert

Lübeck
Quote:
Once again, if this solution works well, why doesn't any other game developer use it?

Didn´t I already state above that Unity for example has no alternative to using PhysX for collision detection? Same for ShiVa, even though it uses ODE as far as I know. C4 on the other hand seem to offer alternatives, but the examples use its physics engine.
So there are indeed MANY developers using a physics engine for collission detection, as that actually is one of the main things such a physics engine is designed for. Which btw also includes raytracing...

Re: The 3DGS collision system is AWFUL. [Re: Slin] #365752
03/28/11 22:16
03/28/11 22:16
North America
Redeemer Offline OP
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline OP
Serious User

North America
If PhysX is all a developer needs, why does Gamestudio even have its own collision system?

Re: The 3DGS collision system is AWFUL. [Re: Redeemer] #365755
03/28/11 22:25
03/28/11 22:25
Germany / Essen
Uhrwerk Offline
Expert
Uhrwerk  Offline
Expert

Germany / Essen
Remember that their was a time when Phsyx were not integrated in the engine. This engine is very old, maybe older than you, Redeemer. Removing it now just just because there is an alternative way would be dumb.

Always learn from history, to be sure you make the same mistakes again...
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de