by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 975 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Gamecore Indie is Free : #376105
06/30/11 01:12
06/30/11 01:12
ratchet Offline OP
Expert
ratchet  Offline OP
Expert

Gamecore indie thread

Just wnatde to make some test by curiosity only, after installation it asks to register ? well i let it down,
Why registering a dead software laugh ??

well, it's very desert on the forum of Gamecore
and there is long ,long time with no upadtes !
And the makers are away from long time i think also !

I think they just have realized now that they can't make anymore money by letting down one more time the people who bought the engine.
And the pro version for 1499$ it's a joke really ??
Someone should be fool, and would must choose some other engine like Unity Pro, C4D, A8, Torque 3D or some other existing engine that have real active community and
real engine updates !

Well i'm really speechless by their very bad ,and destined
to fail strategy ???
I think they just hope to sell some copies to people that really new to 3D and knwoing anything else !

I bought it one time when the name was Beyond Virtual engine,
they let down the engine and people for months without any response. it was beginning to be promising !
They renamed it, redone business, but once again they flee
away letting down engine and users , a shame !!

Last edited by ratchet; 06/30/11 01:24.
Re: Gamecore Indie is Free : [Re: ratchet] #376153
06/30/11 13:01
06/30/11 13:01
Caucasus
3run Offline
Senior Expert
3run  Offline
Senior Expert

Caucasus
Yeah, that is really a shame... I'm not gonna give it a try, but I really liked this screen:

Looks great, I really like the atmosphere in it. I think engine isn't that really bad itself.

Looking for free stuff?? Take a look here: http://badcom.at.ua
Support me on: https://boosty.to/3rung
Re: Gamecore Indie is Free : [Re: 3run] #376180
06/30/11 15:39
06/30/11 15:39
Myrkling Offline
Myrkling  Offline

Note that GameCore Indie is free since a year. The thread is from June 2010. It was just bumped recently.
Also, Gekido doesn't work for Helios Interactive anymore, as far as I know.

Well, in my opinion it is one thing to let an engine die like this, but it is quite another to not inform your customers about anything.

Re: Gamecore Indie is Free : [Re: Myrkling] #376196
06/30/11 17:01
06/30/11 17:01
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Game core behavior is not acceptable
However also some users' behavior have been disgusting
They razed to ground a great engine, shouting like hell for minor flaws thus causing Gekido's hysterical ( but reasonable ) reactions
Unity3d had (has) many more serious problems but Unity guys are shroud people

Re: Gamecore Indie is Free : [Re: AlbertoT] #376197
06/30/11 17:10
06/30/11 17:10
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
Originally Posted By: AlbertoT
Unity3d had (has) many more serious problems but Unity guys are shroud people

Can you explain this a bit more?

Re: Gamecore Indie is Free : [Re: Pappenheimer] #376211
06/30/11 19:38
06/30/11 19:38
ratchet Offline OP
Expert
ratchet  Offline OP
Expert

shouting like hell for minor flaws thus causing Gekido's hysterical ( but reasonable ) reactions

Not sure about that, i remember well when i bought Beyond Virtual : lot of videos advertising lot of features, but a bunch where missing. Even more there was lot of problems for importing like hell. documentation was really lacking !
And well The engine have been let down during a year and more , and Gekido returned to promise once again great things by renaming it Gamecore , to finally let down people who bought it : no update , no post !
Even more what was that big appetite for money, such big prices when you can buy as good or lot better 3D engine with real updates and support ??
That's two times, an there was lot of promises, sorry , but they don't have some escuses !
They don't mind anything about clients indeed that's really clear, only money target : you buy the engine , they make money , and they can fly away with the cash !!

Last edited by ratchet; 06/30/11 19:39.
Re: Gamecore Indie is Free : [Re: ratchet] #376262
07/01/11 06:50
07/01/11 06:50
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
I dont think they are bad people cheating their customers. It is really no easy job to create such technology plus all the tools, documentation and samples.

The real problem is that UDK and Unity appeared and attracted a lot of customers. I understand why. I mean, when I create a scene in Unity, then it just works. I copy all content into a folder and when I switch back to Unity, it just imports it, ready, done. I can tune materials and postpro effects, animate camera, make a video and shots. Ready. All this took me days, sometimes even weeks when I used UDK as an example.

I also played with Gamecore / Beyond Virtual and it always was unfinished. Many features did not work as expected and documentation was too short or even missing. Tools were really good but it was hard to get into it. Angel script as a scripting solution was a bit exotic too.

So in the end I think, they did not make tons of money, they had problems to survive. I mean, even Torque died and resurrected, but for how long? Since Unity can handle each platform plus Flash, it is simply not possible to beat them. It would be possible to be cheaper, but there is a free Unity version available too. So actually you could win only when you concentrate on a single platform and when you offer a better technology for this particular platform. Maybe a DX11 PC engine could be interesting, as an example.

Some technologies still survive because of lazy programmers. Many users dont want to switch programming languages and thus they prefer C++ engines as an example. There are raging fanboy wars in their forums when someone mentions C# as an example. But this is not a real objective way to evaluate such technology and the success stories prove it.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Gamecore Indie is Free : [Re: Pappenheimer] #376378
07/02/11 13:07
07/02/11 13:07
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Originally Posted By: Pappenheimer

Can you explain this a bit more?

I dont mean of course that Gamecore is still nowadays better than Unity but it definitely was some years ago
If you go through the list of bugs of various Unity editions you can see yourself
Yet Unity has alwayes been considered a top engine while Gamecore / BeyondVirtual a junk

This is also due to the shameless insulting campaign made by some users and the Gekido's absolute lack of dimplomacy
One of such mean guy even posted in many other game engine forum
I did appreciate Truevision's moderator answer
"You are not welcome..leave this forum"

The world / model editor

Unity is good but Gamecore is excellent
Every buttons is there where you expect to be found

The programming

Gamecore supplies an impressive number of intuitive commands
You dont have to reinvent the wheel, yet the engine is extremly flexible
Unity classes / methods are sometime criptic

Poor documentation ? and Unity ? ....my God

Angel script is an OO scripting language

Licence

when both non commercial ( 200 usd) and commercial ( 1500 usd ) editions were avaiable Gamecore supplied all the features which an amateur needs while the pro edition added only "true" pro feature ( multiplatform, profiler etc..)
To have shadows in Unity you had to shell out 1500 usd
My fault not to read the specs ok...but it was not fair in my opinion

I make an other personal example

I asked Unity to add a simple animated file format such as Milkshape
"FBX is a future, ok " I said " but it is a matter of fact that FBX converter are not yet fully reliable "

I got a personal msg from Unity, saying that user's feedback is of utmost importance to them....bla..bla.."
They did nothing
Same request to Gekido
Some months later the Milkshape importer was available

Marketing sometimes win over technics

Last edited by AlbertoT; 07/02/11 13:20.
Re: Gamecore Indie is Free : [Re: AlbertoT] #376468
07/03/11 08:08
07/03/11 08:08
germany
Tiles Offline
User
Tiles  Offline
User

germany
Huh? Do you really want to compare this dodo bird with Unity, the most vital and ever growing game engine out there? crazy

Gamecore mainly died because of the lack of documentation. What`s the best engine worth when there is no working manual or tutorials that explains how to use it?

And it died because of a whole bunch of wrong decisions. Like using a this hard to use and bad documented language like Angelscript as the scripting language. Or like wasting the time with implementing an outdated format like Milkshape. That time would`ve been better spent into the manual and useful tutorials. Or like never implementing support for european keyboard layout. This engine is useless for europeans. You search yourself to death to find the correct letters. Or ignoring the marketing chapter. This is as important as the product itself. Or ... the list is endless.

It is dead, it has not survived. That`s fact. And that shows how good it really was. Accept it. Only remaining question is at which point Gediko will turn off the page. Maybe he will change the name a third time, to trick the next generation of users ...

Quote:
"FBX is a future, ok " I said " but it is a matter of fact that FBX converter are not yet fully reliable "

That`s nonsense. FBX is the standard format nowadays.

Last edited by Tiles; 07/03/11 08:14.

trueSpace 7.6, A7 commercial
Free gamegraphics, freewaregames http://www.reinerstilesets.de
Die Community rund um Spiele-Toolkits http://www.clickzone.de
Re: Gamecore Indie is Free : [Re: Tiles] #376471
07/03/11 09:55
07/03/11 09:55
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Why dont you read what the other people wrote, from time to time ?

I said that some years ago GameCore was even better than Unity ,not nowadays
I said that also GameCore does support FBX but also, for safety sake, a simple but rock stable file format such as MilkShape
Wasting time ? Go through Unity posts and see yoursel how many people had problem ,at the time, to deal with FBX files

Last edited by AlbertoT; 07/03/11 10:13.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de