by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Ayumi, AndrewAMD), 833 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Gamecore Indie is Free : [Re: AlbertoT] #377524
07/13/11 22:50
07/13/11 22:50
England
BigDaz Offline
BigDaz  Offline

England
I think we can agree it's the lack of support that's the problem. If you ran any kind of problem, like the keyboard issue, it wouldn't be fixed in a reasonable time. And the developers gave the impression they didn't really care. Feature X doesn't work? Then don't use it, problem solved laugh

I remember one of my first questions was do spotlights work? The answer from Gekido was basically "I don't know, we've never used them". Classic laugh
The answer was no. They were advertising all kinds of features that were still to be implemented. Which was a common theme with all the releases actually.

It all comes down to a lack of resources. They just needed a staff of about 20 when they had 2 frown I'm sure if it had a community of several thousand people, with dedicated users contributing, GameCore could be just as successful as other engines out there. I kept hoping it would go through some sort of revolution and take off but it never did.

As for money grabbing developers, I paid for Beyond Virtual, which was actually pretty reasonable considering the competition. GameCore was a free upgrade and is now free for everyone. So I can't say I feel ripped off, as they said themselves, engine purchases never covered their development costs.

Re: Gamecore Indie is Free : [Re: BigDaz] #377554
07/14/11 10:11
07/14/11 10:11
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
I see it similar to AlbertoT. It would be great to have a good competitor. And in terms of workflow GameCore is really great. It is sad to read that they gave up on this.

I also understand that they never made enough money from it. The presentation and marketing was just bad, images and demo games were not impressive enough. It could not survive this way. Actually they were in need of at least 2 more people, one responsible for marketing and support and another one creating art, websites and demo content. I think a team of 4 people could make it: engine programmer, tools programmer, artist and marketing guy. There are still tasks like documentation that have to be done by all of them, programmers can write programming and scripting parts while the artist and marketing guy can help with tools and workflow docs.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Gamecore Indie is Free : [Re: Machinery_Frank] #377596
07/14/11 18:08
07/14/11 18:08
germany
Tiles Offline
User
Tiles  Offline
User

germany
Quote:
a) It does not support the European keyboards

No comment

I stumbled across this issue more than once when i tried to find my way into Gamecore. I have even reported it as a problem. So it`s well worth a comment.

Quote:
b) Poor documentation

Also Unity3d documentation is rather poor for the price

Even when this would be true, does this make the lack of documentation for Gamecore any better? But it is wrong anyways.

Unity basic is free. That for the price. We have a wiki here, we have a completed manual including full scripting reference, we have a working community that produces tons and tons of questions and answers every day, we have tons and tons of free professional written turorials out there, we have tons and tons of professional produced video tutorials out there. Even the dumbest newbie question gets answered and solved. It is very easy to pick up and very easy to learn Unity.

Gamecore had a totally incomplete, and never completed manual, a handful of bad documented tutorials of how to use the Editor. And that was basically it. It was simply impossible to pick up this engine and learn it. It was the first gamemaking tool where i finally gave up. This experience has cost me around 450 Euro when i remember right. Gamecore was not free at this point ...

Quote:

c) Angel script

It is a good OO scripting language

But a bad gamemaking tool language. Especially when it`s this bad, or better undocumented as it was in Gamecore.

By the way, Gediko is working on a game now instead, and has officially given up at Gamecore. And already promised at the new page that Gamecore was not the last game tool he has made. I count this as a menace.

trueSpace 7.6, A7 commercial
Free gamegraphics, freewaregames http://www.reinerstilesets.de
Die Community rund um Spiele-Toolkits http://www.clickzone.de
Re: Gamecore Indie is Free : [Re: Tiles] #377616
07/14/11 20:43
07/14/11 20:43
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Quote:

I stumbled across this issue more than once when I tried to find my way into Gamecore. I have even reported it as a problem. So it`s well worth a comment.

I meant that this is definitely an extremely irritating issue but it is a trivial thing from a technical point of view
It reinforced my opinion that the failure of the engine was mainly caused by poor marketing and poor service
Documentation, scripting language are more serious points but they are also details
Angelscript is used also by 3DRad and there is a forum on GameDev
Anyway it should be relatively easy to expose the commands to C# or Lua

It remains the fact that the editor is excellent and the game engine is also at the top ( 700+ self understanding, all meat, commands )

These are the key points

GameCore could be the only serious competitor to Unity
I do hope that some software house would buy the licence for the benefit of all the Indie comunity including those who will remain with Unity

Last edited by AlbertoT; 07/14/11 20:48.
Re: Gamecore Indie is Free : [Re: AlbertoT] #377640
07/15/11 07:37
07/15/11 07:37
germany
Tiles Offline
User
Tiles  Offline
User

germany
Agreed. The editor itself was not this bad. It was definitely better than WED. And also the engine could`ve been worse. It was somehow equal to 3DGS. That`s why i once decided to give Gamecore a shot. But that`s not enough, unfortunately.

I still think that Angelscript is a bad choice as a scripting language. But in 3D Rad Angelscript is at least well documented, and there are more than enough examples to learn from. Plus there is a big and active community. And when everything else fails you can also leave scripting alone, and just work with the standard stuff.

The key was and is the documentation. Unity has more than one full tutorial that leads you from zero to a finished game. 3DGS has the LiteC workshops and the AUM, which also leads you from zero to a full game when you`re willing to read. Gamecore has nothing.

It remains the fact that nobody really uses this engine anymore. The always very small community has left. Even the programmer(s) have left this baby. And nobody has ever really made a game with it. At least i know of none. Even Gediko has decided to use something else than Gamecore for his game now.

Gamecore is dead. That`s a fact. And in my opinion it was and is at no point a competitor for Unity, sorry. But that`s just my personal opinion. And i think we will never agree here laugh

trueSpace 7.6, A7 commercial
Free gamegraphics, freewaregames http://www.reinerstilesets.de
Die Community rund um Spiele-Toolkits http://www.clickzone.de
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de