by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (ozgur, degenerate_762, 7th_zorro), 1,075 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Rage [Re: Machinery_Frank] #384712
10/06/11 14:17
10/06/11 14:17
North America
Redeemer Offline OP
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline OP
Serious User

North America
I played some splitscreen multiplayer with my brother yesterday. The racing mode is apparently not available if you're not logged into Xbox Live, but the cooperative option was available, so we gave it a try. Here's what we found:

On the Xbox at least the game's graphical quality is significantly toned down for multiplayer. The game drops from a fluid 60fps to 30fps, the texture quality goes down, and the level geometry is notably simplified. But despite these limiting factors, we found the game very enjoyable - level 1, the prison, was somewhat dull but levels 2 and 3 were very good, both in terms of general aesthetics and gameplay. I don't expect the multiplayer to last long, though - we managed to beat 3 of the 9 levels in just under an hour and they are all roughly equal in length. Therefore, while I anticipate future DLC, cooperative playing time only clocks in at about 3-4 hours. And there isn't much replayability, either: aside from achievements, the only configurable game setting is the difficulty, and there are only two choices: normal and nightmare.

In terms of the singleplayer mode: I have another tip for you guys. I don't want to spoil anything, but...
Click to reveal..
When you get to the Dead City, make sure you bring plenty of ammo. I ended up using the shotgun a lot, but I didn't bring nearly enough ammo for it and I ended up finding myself in lots of bad situations through that point of the game. Your pistol is useless there.

EDIT: I can't believe I used four colons in this post... I'm getting sloppy.

Last edited by Redeemer; 10/06/11 14:35.

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Re: Rage [Re: Redeemer] #384749
10/07/11 00:13
10/07/11 00:13
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
It's alive... it's alive!! Aka Steam is finally decrypting Rage's game data. Too bad I have to meet someone in the university the morning.

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: Rage [Re: Superku] #384750
10/07/11 01:36
10/07/11 01:36
England
M
MrGuest Offline
Serious User
MrGuest  Offline
Serious User
M

England
Originally Posted By: Superku
Too bad I have to meet someone in the university the morning.
LOL, ain't that always the way! I'm booking off November and cancelling Christmas ready for Skyrims release!

Re: Rage [Re: MrGuest] #384751
10/07/11 02:40
10/07/11 02:40
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Hehe, I guess I won't get much sleep tonight.

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: Rage [Re: Superku] #384757
10/07/11 08:42
10/07/11 08:42
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
I found a video where someone tweaked the configuration files of Rage and got much better quality and no visible streaming pop-ups:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7kfVxjPBcU

The engine looks fairly complex from what I saw from the tweakings. The main problem is to decompress textures on the fly. So it uses several cores for that and if possible it also uses CUDA on the graphic cards (even multi-threaded if possible) to process textures each frame. But some people crank up Anti-Aliasing to the max and realize worse texture quality in the game then. The reason is that the GPU has less or no power left for transcoding and CPU has do the entire job on its own. But if there is only a dual-core CPU then it cannot handle high quality textures every frame.

Also it looks like you can force the engine to override some automatic quality adjusting to get better quality.
You will find some interesting links below the video I linked above.

My copy of Rage is still on the way to me. I hope it arrives today, but maybe it will come tomorrow. Anyway, I am looking forward to it.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de