by flink. 04/21/24 07:12
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (M_D, AndrewAMD, Quad, Ayumi), 806 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Occupy Wallstreet - What do you think? [Re: Pappenheimer] #386287
11/01/11 01:17
11/01/11 01:17
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
Originally Posted By: Pappenheimer
The principle of democracy is that all people can participate in political decisions, because they are affected by them. Democracy is the form of governing at present, because each elite - regardless of how well educated they were - failed to see the needs of the rest of their society, and thus failed to keep their supremacy.

But that's just it, America isn't a total democracy. There are many key democratic principles embedded in our constitution but the greater part of our government resembles (even more so in the past) a republic, where classes do exist and power is divided unequally.

Originally Posted By: lostclimate
I'd think running a software prototyping business for 5 years would be sufficient work background for such an insignificant job.

It certainly is frustrating but unfortunately in this day and age credentials are the deciding factor on your level of employment, not skill. I fully understand your sentiment and I do feel sorry for you; in other words, the system is screwed up. I'm only saying two things: 1) that you should've been aware of this before you got into this kind of work, and 2) that although the system is not fair, I don't believe protesting it will get much (if any) good done... and as I said, I just don't want to affiliate myself with this movement.

Last edited by Redeemer; 11/01/11 01:22.

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Re: Occupy Wallstreet - What do you think? [Re: Redeemer] #386358
11/02/11 01:53
11/02/11 01:53
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
well thats pretty much been my sentiment all along. people who are actually looking for work are far too busy with drum circles. I think the wrong people are going about this the wrong way.

Re: Occupy Wallstreet - What do you think? [Re: lostclimate] #386376
11/02/11 07:58
11/02/11 07:58
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline OP
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
people who are actually looking for work are far too busy with drum circles.

I'm not sure whether I understand this sentence.
Do you mean thatpeople who are actually looking for work are far too busy to participate in a movement like Occupy?

If so, you don't realize the degree of unemployment.

I try to illustrate it from a different point:
a friend is independent entrepreneur, his business melt down from about 10 employers to one, and now he is on his own.
He is looking for someone who can do some programming, only a few hours a week.
When I told him, he could ask at the lokal employment agency, he said that he doesn't want to remind them that he exists because when they remember him, they will send him tons of candidacies, even later when he doesn't ask.

Got it?

Why is it impossible to understand that if there are not enough jobs that there are people who won't get a job, whatever they try to do?

@ Redeemer:
Isn't it depressing to believe that the crowd of one of the wealthiest nations of the world is not educated enough to participate in democracy? Is the education system of the USA actually that bad?

And, why are you expecting any good from the decisions of the 'educated and rich', while you can read in 'educated' and investigative newpapers that it was their work of the last twenty years that evoke the crises?

Re: Occupy Wallstreet - What do you think? [Re: Pappenheimer] #386486
11/03/11 20:25
11/03/11 20:25
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
If so, you don't realize the degree of unemployment.

I think you overestimate it. Unemployment is at a high right now that was only last seen in the '80s. Truly, this is the worst we've seen in a while. But that doesn't mean that we're experiencing another huge depression. Unemployment almost never drops below 4%.

Why is it impossible to understand that if there are not enough jobs that there are people who won't get a job, whatever they try to do?

If that were the case, they would be truly destitute. They could not buy their own food or their own clothes, and they could not afford shelter. Yet for the majority of those in the Occupy movement, that is not the case. As Sajeth pointed out:
Originally Posted By: Sajeth
11am you're out protesting, at 1pm you're sitting at McDonald's, at 2pm you're playing with your iPhones, at 3pm you're drinking Coca Cola while watching TV...
Occupy, my ass.

Isn't it depressing to believe that the crowd of one of the wealthiest nations of the world is not educated enough to participate in democracy? Is the education system of the USA actually that bad?

Yes.

And, why are you expecting any good from the decisions of the 'educated and rich', while you can read in 'educated' and investigative newpapers that it was their work of the last twenty years that evoke the crises?

Haven't you asked this question once or twice already? My answer is the same. Granted, they were a huge part of this mess. No one denies that. But to say that this situation is entirely the fault of the rich is simply not true. And as I said, in terms of economic understanding, I trust their judgement more than I trust the judgement of Joe Shmuck off the street.

Last edited by Redeemer; 11/03/11 20:27.

Re: Occupy Wallstreet - What do you think? [Re: Redeemer] #386501
11/03/11 22:18
11/03/11 22:18
Germany
Error014 Offline
Expert
Error014  Offline
Expert

Germany
Redeemer,
do you believe in democracy as a system? Do you think it can work? Or do you feel that people in general are not educated enough to participate in this way, that the system is doomed to fail or at least to bring bad results due to people's inability or outright disinterest in politics?
Or do you just not believe in a certain implementation of democracy (such as the way it's handled in the US)? Is there another political system you favor?

(Note please that I've tried to formulate these as neutral as possible. Don't try to read my own opinion on anything out of this. I can share it later, maybe, but I just tried to not influence anyone, because I'm really just interested in honest opinions - I don't want to contaminate these results :))

Sorry I'm not adding much to the discussion. I'm just curious.

Perhaps this post will get me points for originality at least.

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!
Re: Occupy Wallstreet - What do you think? [Re: Error014] #386502
11/03/11 22:25
11/03/11 22:25
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
well... ive literally heard a college girl say she was going to vote for bush because he was "old-man hot"... whatever that means.

Re: Occupy Wallstreet - What do you think? [Re: lostclimate] #386515
11/04/11 05:16
11/04/11 05:16
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
Here we go. just posted this on my fb. this is my thoughts on the topic:

Quote:
finally decided my official thought on Occupy wall street. If we want to get away from the mess that has been created. if 99% of the people have less than the other 1% of value, then the advantage of being majority and demand holders. encourage people and small businesses to create their own currency based on some rare backed type of value (gold/diamonds/platnium... whatev) and only trade with that, to not to participate in use of the USD and to threaten all politicians that they will recieve votes easier if they allow the gov't to recognize the value of this new currency for taxes as the appropriate ratio in value to the USD. create rules for this currency such as they can not be traded politically without transparency and can not be extended as credit again anything besides very specific collateral (land and such) and at for 1 specific never moving rate so that the there wont be the temptation to screw with it for immediate gratification and greed.

But not fucking drum circles.

laugh

Re: Occupy Wallstreet - What do you think? [Re: lostclimate] #386519
11/04/11 08:56
11/04/11 08:56
Canada
WretchedSid Offline
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline
Expert

Canada
whatever that means.

It means that not only she was stupid but also blind.

Btw, I really enjoy the discussion in this thread, although I can't add anything constructive to it.

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com
Re: Occupy Wallstreet - What do you think? [Re: WretchedSid] #386564
11/04/11 22:08
11/04/11 22:08
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
Originally Posted By: Error014
do you believe in democracy as a system? Do you think it can work? Or do you feel that people in general are not educated enough to participate in this way, that the system is doomed to fail or at least to bring bad results due to people's inability or outright disinterest in politics?

I believe democracy in it's ultimate form would definitely be a failure, but I think everyone knows that.

Democracy is a good thing, but like any good thing I believe that it should not be applied excessively to any given problem. I do not believe that the US's current level of democracy is appropriate, but I do not believe that it should be anything less than it has ever been.

@LC: Your idea is interesting because it brings up an important fact: the USD used to represent a very minute share in the United States gold supply. In fact, before the gold standard was dropped, you could walk into any bank and demand your money in gold, and they would give it to you.

This is important because gold, unlike a piece of paper, has real value. There are far reaching consequences to that fact, the most important one being that there's no such thing as "funny money" when you're trading in a real substance.

So my solution to the problem you mentioned is similar to your own: to readopt the gold standard on a national level. Unfortunately it's not likely that this will ever happen since the US is in an incredible amount of debt right now and the amount of money in circulation is not nearly proportionate to the amount of gold the US really owns.

Last edited by Redeemer; 11/04/11 22:23.

Re: Occupy Wallstreet - What do you think? [Re: Redeemer] #386571
11/05/11 01:43
11/05/11 01:43
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
Which is why we bail and let bankers go "down with the ship":p they do it with shell companies to their own partners all time anyways:) and since they supposedly only rep 1%,it SHOULD be doable...but as you said it won't happen. People are not brave enough and if it happened, I'm sure the bankers purse strings would open up to the right greedy poor people and would stop its progress anyways:/

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de