by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 1,135 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
MapBuilder #388396
12/02/11 10:49
12/02/11 10:49
5 Images
Budapest
sivan Offline OP
Expert
MapBuilder

MB is a lightweight outdoor level editor ideal for 3DGS beginners for creating game scenes within minutes without deep 3D knowledge. It is terrain based, populating with sprites, models, and wmb entities is really easy, just one click. Entity placement and modification, sky and material adjustment, terrain deformation and texture painting in real time, by a simple graphic interface, with open source save/load system.

Wmb levels can be opened and exported too, from version: v.1.07. Postprocessing in WED is possible by .$$m files.

Freeware resources are included in the package. Compatible with both A7 and A8 engines. Suited for 3DGS 'Free' and 'Extra' editions of 3DGS. Later some additions of shader functionality can be expected for 'Commercial' users.

The editor package, 4 simple example game projects (open source, containing the necessary MB level loading scripts), a script and file package for creating new projects, and the (partially ready) online documentation can be found at MapBuilder homepage .

There are also some other resources and tutorials too. Everything for free laugh

More screenshots showing menu options and example scenes

Video Tutorials

The integrated RTS pathfinder and game AI system in development

90 Comments
Re: MapBuilder [Re: ratchet] #407951
09/21/12 20:32
09/21/12 20:32
Budapest
sivan Offline OP
Expert
sivan  Offline OP
Expert

Budapest
thanks for your detailed opinion, I'm open for any critics! (in the worst case I ignore it grin )
my short answers:
- those are all the existing shortcuts, imo not too much, mainly mouse and camera control which are unavailable from menus. fast level save-reload are shortcut only functionality.
- it's not a conventional 3D editor, it's basically my game editor made due to only my own requirements, whose limited version is published as a free editor, because I saw it could be useful for several 3dgs users, mainly for beginners.
- it's rather like a RTS game modding tool. why? because I had no any 3D knowledge before this project, only some experience in game modding (age of empires 2, age of mythology, rome total war etc.), and MapBuilder is basically made for making RTS games, and built around my game AI and pathfinder system that requires some special design time settings. but I think it can be used for a couple kind of outdoor games, if its limitations are acceptable.
- you can set height manipulation strength by the "Adjust" slider, and by using different brushes. it is mainly for fine tuning terrains made by real terrain generators like L3DT. imo making realistic terrains requires task specific tools.
- terrain texture painting is available from a submenu when you select terrain editing: height, texture and erosion. the latter is not implemented.
- mostly I wrote it in A7 Free, it is the reason of a lot of limitations. as I can buy a new notebook I can add more features requiring A8 Commercial what I bought in May.
- I'm not experienced enough in C++ to use the SDK, so I can't implement at the moment better terrain management, sorry. I would like to improve it, but it has low priority atm. but an engine bug is fixed based on my bug report and demo, so deformation will modified to be real time (hull update now works in the beta I have to manage only vertex normals) after the new A8 update is released.
- those terrains are samples made by L3DT free. the trees are also samples by TreeMagikG3 what I do not use any more. the textures are from free photo sources, and there is some stuff from Loopix too. I could add more resources, if there is a real interest ( but it's boring laugh ).
I know the documentation is unfinished, once I will do that too... maybe once I will extend it to be a more general tool, but it is more important now for me to start to develop my game. my rts battle pathfinder is fine now, I'm currently upgrading it to be siege capable, and will work on other special battle behaviours and AI decision making system. maybe beside it I will develop MapBuilder a bit time to time...
sorry if I did not answer some of your questions, I'm on holiday now for a few days...

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor
Re: MapBuilder [Re: sivan] #408076
09/24/12 19:02
09/24/12 19:02
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

Ok i mean, i didn't understood that it is not a full general world editor.It's more for your RTS, with lot of specific stuff also.
So this is not some complete terrain editor for 3DGS like what we can find in some other 3D engines.

By the way i really liked the grass painting on terrain, so you could use it for trees also a presume ?

Not to say , go try another 3D engine beacuse you're more a programmer that like programming, but using another 3D engine having a complete terrain editor you'll have perhaps directly spend time on coding gameplay and created directly the terrain with all tools already existing !

Anyway, great work, and we have just to wait to see more about the game you'll make with it laugh

Re: MapBuilder [Re: ratchet] #408081
09/24/12 20:11
09/24/12 20:11
Budapest
sivan Offline OP
Expert
sivan  Offline OP
Expert

Budapest
of course I'm testing other engines, but currently 3DGS is okay for my purposes taking into account my knowledge, capabilities, and taste. but I can get good ideas from other editors.

grass sprites, shrubs (made of some similar crossed sprites), grass models, and obstacle models can be painted like grass: simply select one or more types (in case of obstacle models only one) and hold down left mouse button and move the mouse around. or you can use mass placement to cover the full area by a given quantity.

Moreover, I will improve a bit placement area representation by replacing that ugly transparent cube by a decal aligning nicely onto the terrain surface, and in case of single placement I will use a model preview, maybe with some tweaking possibilities before placement (move-rotation-scale). Also terrain editing will use a decal showing the actual brush. Small steps laugh

Re: MapBuilder [Re: sivan] #409244
10/14/12 11:26
10/14/12 11:26
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

I have some terrain game in mind.
Can we use your editor for sommercial projects making ?
(The only weak point will be in some future 3DGS version, your code won't be compatible 100%, but we can wait a lot before some new versions ... so it's ok !)

Last edited by ratchet; 10/14/12 11:28.
Re: MapBuilder [Re: ratchet] #409269
10/14/12 16:23
10/14/12 16:23
Budapest
sivan Offline OP
Expert
sivan  Offline OP
Expert

Budapest
yes it's totally free, just mention it in the game somewhere and in the documentation. of course donation welcome laugh it would also inspire me to add features you need (there are some weak points in general purpose usage). but anyway I'm planning to improve it periodically and follow engine updates, mainly because I'm also using it and adding things I need (mostly game AI).

Re: MapBuilder [Re: sivan] #411956
11/21/12 14:54
11/21/12 14:54
Budapest
sivan Offline OP
Expert
sivan  Offline OP
Expert

Budapest
hi
I decided to postpone the new release, because I had to do first some background works, and also worked on my game AI, and had no time beside my job and family to deal with creating new gui elements and menus for the new features.
I plan to make one bigger step instead of frequent minor updates. pssm integration is now also ready, I created some modified shaders, so the work is not stopped, I continue it at least for my own needs laugh
I found a more flexible gui essential to be implemented too... but it will be definitely ready before the new WED grin

Re: MapBuilder [Re: HeelX] #412640
11/30/12 12:13
11/30/12 12:13
Caucasus
3run Offline
Senior Expert
3run  Offline
Senior Expert

Caucasus
Is there a new update with alpha support for shadowmapping? I want to give it a try laugh

Looking for free stuff?? Take a look here: http://badcom.at.ua
Support me on: https://boosty.to/3rung
Re: MapBuilder [Re: 3run] #412645
11/30/12 13:04
11/30/12 13:04
Budapest
sivan Offline OP
Expert
sivan  Offline OP
Expert

Budapest
thanks for the interest, but atm only a wip version with a hotkey is done, all parameters that should be tweaked are hard coded currently, the lightmap file name cannot be changed etc, so it is not really suitable for usage yet...
imo it would be better to wait a bit, not too much only 1 or 2 weeks, until I add some buttons and sliders, and then I can give you a pre-release version.

beside this lightmapping feature, in the next update I want to make a new startup menu with graphics options to select resolution, engine version, shadow system, enable/disable some shaders, which are currently initialized from a text file... pssm shadow settings also require another menu... so I want to add a complete system to work smoothly.

Re: MapBuilder [Re: sivan] #413038
12/06/12 19:53
12/06/12 19:53
cyberspace
W
Wjbender Offline
User
Wjbender  Offline
User
W

cyberspace
nice and clean website man, shall later download your map builder and give
it a wing it sound cool ,keep up

Compulsive compiler
Re: MapBuilder [Re: Wjbender] #413057
12/07/12 10:05
12/07/12 10:05
Budapest
sivan Offline OP
Expert
sivan  Offline OP
Expert

Budapest
thanks, I'll need a webpage update with news, and imo better to wait for the new editor version, it will be much better. the online one is mainly for free/extra users, thus a lot of improved graphics options are missing.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  jcl, Realspawn, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de