Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by dr_panther. 05/18/24 11:01
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (dr_panther, Ayumi, 1 invisible), 708 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Mac and Linux (no, really!) [Re: ventilator] #389635
12/16/11 13:52
12/16/11 13:52
Germany, BaW�
Rondidon Offline
Expert
Rondidon  Offline
Expert

Germany, BaW�
Quote:
the more platforms you support the more maintainance work will have to be done and this will suck with such a small team.

The less platforms you support the less Gamestudio-copys you sell. And that does neither help Gamestudio`s future nor the budget for the needful increasement of the team size and development speed.

Re: Mac and Linux (no, really!) [Re: Rondidon] #389830
12/18/11 22:11
12/18/11 22:11
Innsbruck, Austria
sPlKe Offline
Expert
sPlKe  Offline
Expert

Innsbruck, Austria
I want to add another word on the console topic to finally close this idiocy:
Developing for consoles is the most dumb thing you can do. first, just ebcause you can do it doesnt mean that the console developers let you. secondly, even if they let you, you still need a licence. the cheapest out there would be nintendo Wi, with 5000 bucks per licence a year.
next is microsoft with the XBLA retail licence (developing for free is free, but that wont help either of us) 15 000 dollars and then there are the 35 000 bucks a licence a year for the sony system.
and if you can afford those licenses then by all means you dont need gamestudio.

now here is for the interesting part:
Errors numbers are safe and sound, and 35% of downloas and sales equal a load of money. furthermore, it just proves that the engine needs to evolve.
what i see here is that if gamestudio supports mac and linux, adding additional support for androids, windows phones and iphones aswell as tablets should bea easy, since

a.) mac=mac. there is a difference, shure, but thats easy to overcome if a basica mac support exists and

b.) with a working linux kernel you can port to smartphones more easily. it still is work, but it works.

oh and btw, PS3 and Wii both support the linux kernel. I am doing a freeware homebrew Wii and PC game so you can trust me on that one...

Re: Mac and Linux (no, really!) [Re: sPlKe] #389961
12/20/11 13:55
12/20/11 13:55
Karlsruhe
PadMalcom Offline
Serious User
PadMalcom  Offline
Serious User

Karlsruhe
@sPIKe: Do you really think all the XBox-Arcade game developers spent 15.000$ for a license? Can't believe that...

@Rondidon: JCL surely read the title of this post and though "Not of interest at the moment". He stated in the AUM 100 that Android is interesting, nothing else. And if you want an XBox port, you can have it... for money.

To all of you: Do you really think you have more experience in the game engine market than the guys from Conitec/oP Group? I think everything they do they do on purpose.

Re: Mac and Linux (no, really!) [Re: PadMalcom] #389965
12/20/11 15:58
12/20/11 15:58
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline OP
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline OP
Expert
J

WA, Australia
@PadMalcom:
Quote:
To all of you: Do you really think you have more experience in the game engine market than the guys from Conitec/oP Group? I think everything they do they do on purpose.
The same could be said in response to any feature request in the Future forum, including your desire to have GS work on XBox. Still, Conitec has a reputation for taking community requests into account in development.

Do you think you have more experience than Wolfire? They say:
Originally Posted By: Wolfire
To conclude, if you're not supporting Linux and Mac OS X from a philosophical standpoint or for the fans, at least do it for the money. If you don't support non-Windows platforms, you're leaving a lot of cash on the table.
Don't forget Super Meat Boy's story, or that Cthulhu Saves The World made more on PC in 6 days than it did on XBox in a year.

@jcl: Any thoughts? There are a lot of good stats here, and the stats of every Humble Bundle to date seem to support them.

I love GS, I really do. But given the community feedback I've had, I don't want to make another Windows-only game when KarBOOM is finished. It'd be absolutely amazing if KarBOOM could support Mac and Linux. I'm certainly not going to port it to another engine, but I'm definitely considering cross platform solutions for whatever comes next.

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: Mac and Linux (no, really!) [Re: JibbSmart] #389973
12/20/11 18:23
12/20/11 18:23
Karlsruhe
PadMalcom Offline
Serious User
PadMalcom  Offline
Serious User

Karlsruhe
My desire to have GS on XBox is already fulfilled wink But, okay, I got your point! After all I expect that JCL won't tell you anything about newly supported platforms except that they are working on an android port which will not even be finished in months but in years.

Re: Mac and Linux (no, really!) [Re: PadMalcom] #389975
12/20/11 18:32
12/20/11 18:32
Germany, BaW�
Rondidon Offline
Expert
Rondidon  Offline
Expert

Germany, BaW�
Let`s continue this discussion somewhere else, PadMalcom. It`s not a personal thing, but I don`t think that a "feature request" forum is the right place for this. laugh

Quote:
Most likely the Linux-market for a tool like Gamestudio is even bigger than the Windows market. It`s about target group-oriented thinking and getting a unique characteristic to Gamestudio.

Originally Posted By: Jibb
By supporting all major PC operating systems (which Unity doesn't), it's not just exposing us to a 15-20% larger market - it's exposing us to markets where games and game developing suites and engines are relatively spare and people are plentiful and desperate.

Re: Mac and Linux (no, really!) [Re: Rondidon] #389987
12/20/11 21:00
12/20/11 21:00
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

Why nit completing and selling a game first on PC !
Than if success comes, think in Mac, not before.

Re: Mac and Linux (no, really!) [Re: ratchet] #389988
12/20/11 21:10
12/20/11 21:10
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline OP
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline OP
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Originally Posted By: ratchet
Because I'd have to code the game again from scratch and use another engine or my own solution to work on Mac and/or Linux. If I can do that, I might as well just use a cross-platform solution to begin with.

I made KarBOOM!
Re: Mac and Linux (no, really!) [Re: JibbSmart] #389998
12/20/11 23:30
12/20/11 23:30
Innsbruck, Austria
sPlKe Offline
Expert
sPlKe  Offline
Expert

Innsbruck, Austria
Originally Posted By: JibbSmart
Originally Posted By: ratchet
Because I'd have to code the game again from scratch and use another engine or my own solution to work on Mac and/or Linux. If I can do that, I might as well just use a cross-platform solution to begin with.

agreed. i already have 5 completed games for PC out there, and i will not re-do them. if i can just push a button and have them compiled for Mac or linux, well, there is a different story. even if its more complicated than that, this should be an option.

ps.: i dont belive that, i know it:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/8...rtnerschaft.pdf

page 33. btw this entire document is a SHORT guideline what you need to become alicensed 360 dev. Can we please just stop this nonsense now and concentrate on the topic at hand, namely the simple fact that it would only help everyone if GS would support mac and linux?

Last edited by sPlKe; 12/20/11 23:36.
@jcl: Mac and Linux (no, really!) [Re: sPlKe] #390030
12/21/11 16:49
12/21/11 16:49
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline OP
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline OP
Expert
J

WA, Australia
@jcl:
Is there an official Conitec response? Is this a case of further research being done before giving an answer, or of such a request not being worth an answer?

I've edited the first post to include most of the stats that were brought up in this thread, and Rondidon has brought attention to a few of the more significant points by quoting them again so they shouldn't be hard to miss.

Last edited by JibbSmart; 12/21/11 16:55. Reason: un-typoed

I made KarBOOM!
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  aztec, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de