by flink. 04/21/24 07:12
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (M_D, AndrewAMD, Quad, Ayumi), 806 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
Re: Building the next best space game. [Re: ratchet] #390938
01/06/12 00:53
01/06/12 00:53
K
kmega99 Offline OP
kmega99  Offline OP
K

Originally Posted By: ratchet

I will now attempt to build the next best RTS space game using Game Studio A7.

Incredible, how some lonewolf guy would be better than Blizzard or some other big RTS ?
even with a team, i'm not sure you'll make such great AI, such great UI, great levels and units , animations, effects, scenario, voices etc ... etc ...

I'm sure I'll run into problems along the way & I wish to get some advice every now & then.

Why not UT3 engine or other big ones, you 'll have also problems like any 3D engine.
And saysing already you'll have problems it's like saying from beginning that you will fail or quit the game making laugh

Since I'm to sick to hold a normal job I've got nothing else better to do and my eye sight may be completely gone by the age 40 (I'm 27 now).

If it was the case , you should really enjoy the must you can everything in the world before your eye sight drop down in some little years already !!
And game making requires very good eyes, specially for texturing and modeling ? why choosing game making so ?

Well ... another useless thread laugh !

I just zoom in when my eyes aren't doing that well. smirk

mad I've been practicing Lite-C for over a year now. mad Sure when I first got the engine I was too inexperienced to do anything but after so much practice I figured out how to do nearly everything to complete the game including AI.

I choose Game Studio Pro because after doing hours of research, I was so impressed by the engine that I decided to spend the extra cash for the pro edition.

Well back to the endless clicking of my mouse & keyboard to complete this awesome game being developed.

Thanks for your thoughts. grin

Re: Building the next best space game. [Re: kmega99] #390948
01/06/12 08:59
01/06/12 08:59
K
kmega99 Offline OP
kmega99  Offline OP
K

I've played many games and there seems to be a shortage of good space games.

You can find an unlimited amount of first person shooters & most of them seems to be similar to the other.

Even some of the best space games out there now seems to be lacking a few features that I always look for but never find.

I will wait no longer for other companies to develop the perfect space game.

I have taken it upon myself to do what needs to be done and develop an RTS space game with features like no other.

Thats why I've chosen this type of game to build and I will succeed.

I may have screen-shots in a few weeks. cool

Re: Building the next best space game. [Re: kmega99] #390955
01/06/12 10:40
01/06/12 10:40
Germany, BW, Stuttgart
MasterQ32 Offline
Expert
MasterQ32  Offline
Expert

Germany, BW, Stuttgart
Quote:
mad I've been practicing Lite-C for over a year now. mad

And i'm practicing for ~10 Years now. And i am feared of making an RTS...
It's a really hard piece, if you want to do it all yourself, so again think about wasting time with programming a RTS
Do something easier and try to sell this
If you really want to make money with games, have a new idea, don't copy old stuff and try to improve it. You can't get better than all of the games which are sold today.
You need something what makes your game interesting to others. Your game has to be unique to get money with it.
Simply take a look at minecraft. It's a sandbox game with an "unlimited" world. You can build what you want or you can play some survival. Minecraft is a mixture of RPG, Fighter, Sandbox, Open World and Survival Game. There was nothing like this before.

I'm thinking about redoing an old game, which many people played for hours and weeks. This game has a really good rating (sometimes 95/100), altough the game was buggy as hell, crashed every 20 minutes. It was the concept of the game which made it special. But afaik it's the only game with this style.

Think about it...

EDIT:
Quote:
unlimited amount of first person shooters

7% of all games published per year are shooters....

Last edited by MasterQ32; 01/06/12 10:41.

Visit my site: www.masterq32.de
Re: Building the next best space game. [Re: MasterQ32] #390964
01/06/12 14:28
01/06/12 14:28
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
please check the Artificial Intelligence section of the forum!
I added some useful links of articles and demos, and some comments. Many of them specially for RTS games.

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor
Re: Building the next best space game. [Re: sivan] #390984
01/06/12 18:50
01/06/12 18:50
K
kmega99 Offline OP
kmega99  Offline OP
K

Thanks for the links. Development is still going smoothly. I think that many will be impressed with my work.

Be sure to check back in a few weeks for some awesome screen-shots. grin

Re: Building the next best space game. [Re: kmega99] #390986
01/06/12 19:57
01/06/12 19:57
Canada
WretchedSid Offline
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline
Expert

Canada
I'm late, I know and I don't want bring up the beginning posts, but this single quote got my attention.

Originally Posted By: kmega99
mad I've been practicing Lite-C for over a year now. mad

I don't know why so many people believe its hard to learn a programming language and I don't know why it took you a year. You should be able to pick up C in a week, learn the syntax and all the concepts like pointer, structs and so on. But, and now we come the part that isn't learnable in a year, its hard to master a language in a way that allows you to write fast and pretty code.
You don't want to solve problems by taking a tank and shooting at them until they disappear (yes, this is a metaphor), but you want to solve the problem as smart and effortless as possible (thats not a metaphor). And no matter how long you practice a language, you should be able to learn something new about it every week or month! Be it a new programming idiom or a totally new concept and approach to solve a problem.
For example, I found this very excellent SO question recently ( http://stackoverflow.com/questions/500607/what-are-the-lesser-known-but-cool-data-structures? ) and its full of extremely awesome stuff I have never heard of!

From you posts, dear OP, I can't see that you are already at this stage in learning a language but still at the "woah, I found out what a pointer is, now I can write the whole world in less than two days!" (this was an exaggeration). And no, this doesn't mean that you have to write posts full of buzzwords like "Yeah, I'm using agile development and plan to refactor my code twice a day, I check in every change and maintain five VCS branches to test my code. For every committed function I write at least five unit tests and I run all unit tests when the nightly build compiles." (this wasn't an exaggeration)

There are so many things in game development that its impossible to cover them all in a single post but you want to face them in just two months! Don't get me wrong, its great that you have ambitious ideas and that you are really trying to commit yourself into your project, but please don't fool yourself into thinking that you are better than the rest of the world! I know its easy to think things like "hey, this looks easy, I just have to write X and this solves my problem. It can't be that hard to make a complete game", but try to think what comes with this. Try to think of every single detail that you have to do, not just the big shiny picture that looks like its so easy to draw. (Yes, this was another metaphor)

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com
Re: Building the next best space game. [Re: kmega99] #390987
01/06/12 19:59
01/06/12 19:59
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

@kmega99 :
Sure, only screenshots and videos count at final when someone is claiming to make great game.
My post wasn't against you, but i we've seen lot of people dreaming about big , next big games ... a lot failed.
Even in 3D Game Studio , some great games started very great, but failed due to team splitting, lack of motivation, problems with doing it, real life taking the step etc ...

Sometimes some failed due that they targetted big without having already done some little game to alredy know how much the work to produce sometimes can be very big.

But yes we'll wait for a screenshot and be impressed with stars in ours eyes laugh

Like JustSid said :
Indeed programming side can be very big challenge, for tools also, like games having their own editors and tools.
And i do'nt talk about pathfinding or integrating some free pathfinding libs, making good artificial intelligence etc ...

The other very challenging part also is 3D creation, with good models, good textures, good 3D effects and animations.
Making some solid style , with solid levels and units it's lot of work also.
But adopting RTS without any character models will already reduce the amount of work :
- no rigging
- not all animations possible to make for each character
- some more easy to make hard surface than wanting to make
convincing Faces and realistic textures for the character.
skinning (perhaps less when your game

But again i don't think you'll do better than Starcraft 2 , it was made by thousand of skilled people and lot of very skilled programmers laugh

It's not to de motivate you, but to show you some reality.

Even this game made one guy with Ogre 3D took him some 2 or 3 years (he had to pay for some freelance 3D artists some times to improve some models and textures).
So alone don't dream about making something big and better than AAA games in some months.

Salvation Prophecy

Last edited by ratchet; 01/06/12 20:15.
Re: Building the next best space game. [Re: ratchet] #390995
01/06/12 21:07
01/06/12 21:07
K
kmega99 Offline OP
kmega99  Offline OP
K

Originally Posted By: ratchet
@kmega99 :
Even this game made one guy with Ogre 3D took him some 2 or 3 years (he had to pay for some freelance 3D artists some times to improve some models and textures).
So alone don't dream about making something big and better than AAA games in some months.

I understand that some people may think it to be impossible for one guy to have enough skills to build a great game in just a few months, but that's just what I'm doing.

All models are being built from scratch (vertex to vertex & face to face) and there turning out good. I enjoy tough challenges so I will not turn the other way and give up.

Besides I'm making excellent progress. grin

Make any suggestions about things that I should do with the current game after a demo is finished.

However since I'm super glued to this project I won't stop building & programming anytime soon.
Please wait until screen-shots and the demo before judging my skills.

Thanks. grin

Re: Building the next best space game. [Re: kmega99] #391000
01/06/12 21:44
01/06/12 21:44
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

we wait laugh

Re: Building the next best space game. [Re: ratchet] #391072
01/08/12 00:45
01/08/12 00:45
Damocles_ Offline
Expert
Damocles_  Offline
Expert

ok sounds like a deal.

RTS are not that common to see here.

Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Moderated by  HeelX, Lukas, rayp, Rei_Ayanami, Superku, Tobias, TWO, VeT 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de