by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 1,643 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
Re: Building the next best space game. [Re: maslone1] #397807
03/23/12 18:31
03/23/12 18:31
Damocles Offline
Expert
Damocles  Offline
Expert

Starting with models (as single developer) is always the wrong approach.
At this stage its enough to put in some prop-models consisting of some cubes.
(For performance testing a huge number of cubes lumped together)

What you really need to develop at this stage is the game architecture.
First a prototype to test the tech and methods,
and then take the prototype apart and craft some cleaner implementation of it.

Re: Building the next best space game. [Re: Damocles] #397816
03/23/12 19:20
03/23/12 19:20
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
yes, you could get placeholder models to test and set game performance properly (even from existing games). gameplay is rather depends on proper code than on model quality.

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor
Re: Building the next best space game. [Re: sivan] #398563
04/04/12 02:22
04/04/12 02:22
K
kmega99 Offline OP
kmega99  Offline OP
K

Progress is not fast but still flowing. Development speed may gradually increase along with my graphical skills. No matter how long it takes it's still more fun then I thought it would be.

I've looked at other game development software and after comparing prices & features, it's my opinion that Game Studio is still the best deal.

I wish that I could show my mother some of my work but she lost her eye sight a few years ago and I will most likely lose mine also in the next 5 to 10 years frown . Regardless I'll be doing something that I've always wanted to do for as long as I can, building games. The power to bring your imagination to life within a virtual environment is the coolest thing ever.

Re: Building the next best space game. [Re: kmega99] #398569
04/04/12 07:36
04/04/12 07:36
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

I've looked at other game development software and after comparing prices & features, it's my opinion that Game Studio is still the best deal.

It's also my opinion, the script si so fast and easy to use.
It lacks on the interface, and outdated tools (lacking terrain editor , more easy to apply shaders etc ...)

I wish that I could show my mother some of my work but she lost her eye sight a few years ago and I will most likely lose mine also in the next 5 to 10 years
Perhaps it can exist some solution for your eyes ?
You should stop complaining, people die every day, some of us experience painfull things in the real life sometimes.
If you want to "speak" about your personnal problems you can do it in the Off Topic or Morbius threads, it's lot more appropriated laugh

I have failed in trying to build a game in just 3 months. I ran into problems and delays that I did not expect.
Indeed :), some of us that already started some game projects knows how much it is time consumming, motivation drop lot of times, real life priorities etc ...
It's Hard Wrok, and sometimes, you need to take a break from your game project, to regain energy and motivation.
It's so easy also to play Mass Effect 3 for example, and let down some game propect for some time also laugh
There are lot of examples of abandonned projects, or projects taking years due to non continuous work on them.
Specially a lonewolf wanting detailled models and textures, will put even more time than using simple Minecraft style or simple 2.5D Black and white game ithout textures (Limbo game) etc ...

Good luck !

Last edited by ratchet; 04/04/12 07:41.
Re: Building the next best space game. [Re: ratchet] #398616
04/04/12 18:44
04/04/12 18:44
Germany
Error014 Offline
Expert
Error014  Offline
Expert

Germany
Quote:
You should stop complaining, people die every day, some of us experience painfull things in the real life sometimes.

Or, you know what, perhaps people who have it tough should really REALLY be allowed to vent once in a while.
Sorry, but your (ratchet's) reply seems wildly inappropiate, off-topicness be damned.

-
Anyway, if you, kmega99, feel like posting a Morbius-thread about it - if only to further vent and get some moral support, I think that may be something I'd post in laugh - But, of course it goes without saying that this is entirely up to you.

~~~

Regarding the topic, unrealistic (and overly optimistic) original timeframe aside, I still think you've created some impressive stuff. Let's see some game logic and mechanics! laugh

Perhaps this post will get me points for originality at least.

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!
Re: Building the next best space game. [Re: Error014] #398621
04/04/12 19:37
04/04/12 19:37
Germany, Magdeburg
JoGa Offline
User
JoGa  Offline
User

Germany, Magdeburg
if I compare your screenshots of the planet, your last screenshot looks really nice!
Although I know, that shaders are for the end of a game-development-state for "buffing" I wanted to write down the things that came to my sense as I saw your screenshot:

If the camera can be very near to the planets in your game, maybe you could add a bump-mapping/normalmapping to see some unevenness? Your planet reminds me to a athmosphere-shader in the wiki, just in the case, you didn't noticed it, here the link , maybe its helpful laugh

As Error014 mentioned, I am happy about your stuff, too, it looks nice so far and I am looking forward to see some game-mechanic in action!!

Last edited by JoGa; 04/04/12 19:37.
Re: Building the next best space game. [Re: kmega99] #398623
04/04/12 20:03
04/04/12 20:03
cyberspace
W
Wjbender Offline
User
Wjbender  Offline
User
W

cyberspace
i agree it totaly needs admosphere when you get to it ,i thought when looking
at the clouds that you could possibly use more layers to add more depth
like a bunch of transparent spheres at diffrent sizes with clouds to build up layers but i dont know how this would give off when applying shaders
and also every planet with life needs a bit of sunshine (lighting) but
then again maby your not aiming for that look

p.s dont ever let life get you down ,for all we know we live it once
so why worry/rush it through,its ment to be taken in like a ladys kiss.

Compulsive compiler
Re: Building the next best space game. [Re: kmega99] #399131
04/11/12 14:46
04/11/12 14:46

C
chris_oat
Unregistered
chris_oat
Unregistered
C

how do you get along?
i may have fond something that can speed up your progress.
http://www.terminal26.de/produkte/cd-47_...ture%202_3.html

Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  HeelX, Lukas, rayp, Rei_Ayanami, Superku, Tobias, TWO, VeT 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de