by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 940 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Esenthel Engine [Re: sivan] #400949
05/10/12 12:24
05/10/12 12:24
Budapest
sivan Offline OP
Expert
sivan  Offline OP
Expert

Budapest
after checking some tutorial codes, mainly in "Animation.cpp", character animation is not too complicated as I see, but 2 separate function loops are used:

- one for skeleton manipulation called "Update()" that defines the position of the corresponding mesh:
Code:
cskel.clear();     // clear controlled skeleton animation
cskel.animate(L"../data/anim/walk.anim", Time.time()); // animate with "walk" animation and current time position
cskel.updateMatrix    (MatrixIdentity); // update controlled skeleton animation matrixes
cskel.move( Vec(0,0,Sin(Time.time()) ) );  // move skeleton due to vector - here smoothly between +/-1 meter forward-backward
cskel.updateVelocities(              ); // update controlled skeleton bone velocities (this is needed for Motion Blur effect)

- and another "Render()" for mesh representation, and mesh is assigned here to the above described controlled skeleton:
Code:
Meshes("../data/obj/chr/skeleton/0.mesh")->draw(cskel); // get mesh from cache and render it with controlled skeleton matrixes

Of course it is much more complicated than in Lite-C, where you can use ent_animate() and c_move() within entity action loop.

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor
Re: Esenthel Engine [Re: sivan] #400988
05/10/12 18:53
05/10/12 18:53
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

And the other problem is the references :
cskel.animate(L"../data/anim/walk.anim", Time.time());
Meshes("../data/obj/chr/skeleton/0.mesh")->draw(cskel);

This is where you need a reference to objects :
This is different from some script of some engines where you just call some : My.animate("walk", 100,200,20)
Where you don't care about the entity name , animation name.
You just glue code ot the entitie to control it.

Well, perhaps i'll do a try on C ++ code , but it's not what i wanted in terms of easy and quick gameplay programming !

Re: Esenthel Engine [Re: ratchet] #400992
05/10/12 19:44
05/10/12 19:44
cyberspace
W
Wjbender Offline
User
Wjbender  Offline
User
W

cyberspace
All this is ,is just a bit lower level coding than a higher language like gs
basicly you take those lower level functions and combine them together
to form logic what you want and put in a function which forms a bit higher level
coding ones you use that function/s you wrote... At the end all your functions
together forms a higher level language like you use in gs so the obvious
aim of this is to have more controll over the final product by providing more lower
level functions therefore it has its positive side and negative .the negative being
time and ability to understand / code higher functions from the lower ,and of course
dont forget bugs becouse if you dont understand it fully andd know how to use it
all correctly it will result in wasted time/money/effort. Using something like this
has its ups for any experienced c++ coder but maby not enough for someone looking
for a framework already put together at a higher level of coding like gs

Compulsive compiler
Re: Esenthel Engine [Re: Wjbender] #401015
05/11/12 06:30
05/11/12 06:30
Budapest
sivan Offline OP
Expert
sivan  Offline OP
Expert

Budapest
yes, it needs more time to learn, and requires deeper knowledge of C++, but there are also some higher level functions to be used for certain purposes e.g. character control, like in Unity, and those can be modified or expanded. so after creating your own system it could be more flexible.
at the moment lite-c is perfect for me, I have my editor what I control in 100%, so don't want to give up my developments without finishing them. but in future Esenthel can be a good option for me because it features a lot of things I need or I will need. of course, it depends on what 3DGS engine development provides in future.

Re: Esenthel Engine [Re: sivan] #401037
05/11/12 20:22
05/11/12 20:22
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

Yes, Lite-C scripting is lot more easy and friendly , lot more hight level for my purposes laugh
Esenthel have a good bunch of great features:
- advanced visual effects (DX11, tessellation), movement with some distortion effect,
- Level Streaming
- advanced multi texturing (and it's great tools)
- pathfinding system around level meshes
- easy player collision capsule setup
etc ...

Perhaps someone will make some lot more hight level framework on top of it for common things ; who knows ?
But i'll won't wait years, this is something i learned from old days of A6 beginnings wink
I know that you can't wait about features, the time is now, if you really need some things for a project you have in mind, then you have to decide to take the better engine that suits your goals today.

For me actually, and what i target A8 do the job, so i stay with it (even if i use some other 3D engine from times to times) !

Re: Esenthel Engine [Re: ratchet] #401040
05/12/12 00:14
05/12/12 00:14
Caucasus
3run Offline
Senior Expert
3run  Offline
Senior Expert

Caucasus
If UDK had a Lite-C, I would switch without any doubts grin

Looking for free stuff?? Take a look here: http://badcom.at.ua
Support me on: https://boosty.to/3rung
Re: Esenthel Engine [Re: 3run] #401068
05/12/12 19:45
05/12/12 19:45
cyberspace
W
Wjbender Offline
User
Wjbender  Offline
User
W

cyberspace
Or how bout cryengine for fps

Compulsive compiler
Re: Esenthel Engine [Re: Wjbender] #401114
05/13/12 22:21
05/13/12 22:21
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

UDK have some scripting system !
If you target FPS it's perhaps the way to go ?
But they'll take royalties on your game if you success enought !

Re: Esenthel Engine [Re: ratchet] #401128
05/14/12 08:08
05/14/12 08:08
Budapest
sivan Offline OP
Expert
sivan  Offline OP
Expert

Budapest
..and UDK has much higher system requirements. but it depends on your pc, and on what you expect from your potential users... and as I heard UDK is not an easy to use system.

what I think about fps games:
- an ordinary fps game is basically an easy and boring thing to script, but if it can be played online against human players it becomes real fun, but that requires good marketing (=money investment) to achieve high enough number of players, and a nice server background...
- the other good case if the game environment is unique, like that 3DGS project with strange gravity features (I don't remember the name). In this case 3DGS is really the best choice due to its fast scripting language (and in this case gameplay is more important than shiny graphics).
- the 3rd case if it has a popular story like Star Wars, but usually they are badly not royalty free... in this case graphics has to satisfy the highest expectations, to approximate the original story environment.

for making online games Esenthel has some ready set of MMO scripts, both for client and server side (what I have not tested yet), and has also a server support for licensed users. building up game levels and making nice graphics can be done faster than in 3DGS without licence limitations. I think in this case it is a good choice. but when you need to make a lot of own scripting, you have to be a skilled programmer to expand Esenthel's functionalities.

Re: Esenthel Engine [Re: sivan] #401167
05/14/12 19:09
05/14/12 19:09
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

but when you need to make a lot of own scripting, you have to be a skilled programmer to expand Esenthel's functionalities.
Yes, but you have to do it in some language more complicated than a simple scripting system.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de