by flink. 04/21/24 07:12
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 841 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Shiva 3D : #403062
06/13/12 22:22
06/13/12 22:22
ratchet Offline OP
Expert
ratchet  Offline OP
Expert

Not so bad at all for that price laugh
http://www.shivaengine.com/

For 200 bucks, it's a complete engine.
It has for little projects :
-some good advanced ligtening effects
-ready to use and apply standard shaders as easy as in Unity 3D
-some simple and ready to use obstacle avoidance system
-Ligths taken account with shaders already
-Terrain editor
-vegetation editor
-simple ready to use framework
- all mobile platforms publishing + web + some flash exporter now
-particle editor
-HUD editor

Some features link :

http://www.shivaengine.com/3d-game-engine.html

For that price if you can have IOS, Android, PC Browser , PC that's already a large target for your casual game laugh

It's less known as Unity, but you don't have to spend 400$ just to a basic Iphone or Android mobile version.
I don't talk about Unity PRo that goes to 1500$, that price is lot more for serious success company ( or people gaining money for some sold game with Unity basic for example ! )

Really ofr the price , i find it's really good for 3D artists
that want to program gameplay only.
I mean for people that don't want to code custom tools or shaders, it's one great tool for a great price for 3D artists.

-----------------------------

For some casual turn based 3D RPG i have in plans, i will go with this engine and see what i can really achieve.

Last edited by ratchet; 06/13/12 22:26.
Re: Shiva 3D : [Re: ratchet] #403083
06/14/12 09:16
06/14/12 09:16
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
the only problem that it is LUA based, and it is converted to C++ before compilation. but maybe it is not a problem...

the browser only edition is free!

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor
Re: Shiva 3D : [Re: ratchet] #403099
06/14/12 12:57
06/14/12 12:57
Germany
T
Toast Offline
Serious User
Toast  Offline
Serious User
T

Germany
Version 2.0 should be around "soonish" which should add a couple of new features and overhauls which have been in development for quite a long time. I think it's a pretty good engine although it sort of has this focus on the mobile devices. Using LUA is a big advantage in my opinion as that really can be called "scripting" rather than having a proprietary language like Lite-C which is so close to standard languages that you're probably better off with learning C# or C++ which can be used elsewhere too. I also think that the fact that the Lua code gets wrapped or how you want to call it into C code is a good thing as things get more performant...

Personally Shiva's biggest downside is the performace. There's this "The Hunt" demo which either is awfully done or simply shows the lack of peformance tuning needed for good looking PC games. There are quite some situations in that demo where your fps will drop to a single digit value (one even being looking straight down and shooting the ground to your feet - especially with the automatic weapons the impact effect with all the smoke and stuff will even bring a very modern and powerful system to its knees for no obvious reason)...

Still - the bang for buck factor of Shiva is very high and anyone looking for a new engine should give this a try. It's going to be interesting to see what new stuff version 2.0 will bring along... laugh

EDIT:
Oh and you have to like the editor. It's a quite unique approach which might look strange to many though...

Last edited by Toast; 06/14/12 13:00.
Re: Shiva 3D : [Re: Toast] #403127
06/14/12 19:06
06/14/12 19:06
ratchet Offline OP
Expert
ratchet  Offline OP
Expert

There's this "The Hunt" demo which either is awfully done or simply shows the lack of peformance tuning needed for good looking PC games ...
My PC is not that incredible and the game really runs smooth without problem even on the game editor.

Not all 3D engines proposes some real game with complete HUD running, special effects, path finding, 10 or more ennemies at screen, good detailled 3D models and good level ?

And yes the engine, have already the pathfinding System editor and functions to call to manage that for you.

What i find is lacking is the terrain editor , there is no terrain editor tools, you have ot use some external tool frown
That's very bad when you have ot edit your terrain in real time to adjust for example house surrounding or ground height etc .....

So if i would go with it, it woulb be for non terrain based game. Or some game using instead some mesh as terrain made in some tool like Blender or other.

Another point that can be strong or weak is the framework.
It's great for people that are 3D artists than programmers, but it's not so easy to learn all stuff, all events you can find etc ...
But i think it's like Unity 3D you have to learn and try the basics on the editor, before making your own gameplay and game.
I have read some tutorials and i feel i need to test and make more tutorials before saying "i know the engine" !

I agree the editor is kinda special, but once you understand it, you don't loose yourself , and know when you have to manage new materials you go to material editor etc ...

The good feature is the object properties panels where you can adjust lot of stuff, and i like teh standard shader as normal map, Glow , lights working with shaders.

The performance i think can be good if you use cleaverly some LOD system and good distance to display objects etc ...
For small arcade games but candy looking it can do the job could it be RPG like FF10 style, turn based like King's BOunty , old Resident evil game style , 2.5D platform , shoot em up etc ...
And yes the buck factor is good laugh , 200$ for such complete package could attract some bunch of 3D artists, or lonewolves more 3D artist oriented.
(Somewhat disappointing that there is no terrain editor ....)

Last edited by ratchet; 06/14/12 19:08.
Re: Shiva 3D : [Re: ratchet] #403133
06/14/12 20:22
06/14/12 20:22
Germany
T
Toast Offline
Serious User
Toast  Offline
Serious User
T

Germany
Originally Posted By: ratchet
There's this "The Hunt" demo which either is awfully done or simply shows the lack of peformance tuning needed for good looking PC games ...
My PC is not that incredible and the game really runs smooth without problem even on the game editor.

It's not that it runs entirely bad. It's fine until you do certain things which will bring things to a crawl. Stonetrip also knows about this and also has said that some things weren't designed that efficiently. Still - some performance drops are quite "outstanding" considering what is shown / done...

BTW: The regular price is 400 $ - every christmas they offer a certain amount of purchases for a reduced price (so whoever wants to buy it might want to wait for such offers I he / she can)...

EDIT:
I mentioned the version 2.0. Here you can look up some of the coming features like DX11 support, custom shaders and much more...

http://www.stonetrip.com/developer/wiki/index.php?title=Release_Info

Last edited by Toast; 06/14/12 20:23.
Re: Shiva 3D : [Re: Toast] #403135
06/14/12 20:32
06/14/12 20:32
ratchet Offline OP
Expert
ratchet  Offline OP
Expert

Just impressive, mobile is already supported, and PS3 , 360 are already done for the next version.

Well PC and mobile are the main platforms i target so i don't find interest.
Perhaps for indies making XLBA and PSN games ?
For shaders i just hope to find so easy to apply system as now.

Why not, they could really make a real terrain system for terrain based games.

Last edited by ratchet; 06/14/12 21:40.
Re: Shiva 3D : [Re: ratchet] #403149
06/15/12 07:41
06/15/12 07:41
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
okay I try out that Hunt demo, but I'm interested in terrain based games only...

Re: Shiva 3D : [Re: sivan] #403174
06/15/12 19:02
06/15/12 19:02
ratchet Offline OP
Expert
ratchet  Offline OP
Expert

Unity , Torque 3D , Esenthel engine, C4 engine, LeadWerks, Axis Engine etc ... have complete tools for terrain creation from scratch (terrain editing , multi texture, grass, vegetation ...)

If you look for terrain games can it be RPG or action games and some complete solution and tools Shiva 3D i think is not the solution for you in this case if you don't have some extern terrain editor.

Re: Shiva 3D : [Re: ratchet] #403196
06/16/12 07:48
06/16/12 07:48
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
I use mainly L3DT, its okay for 3DGS and Esenthel too, and probably for any engine that can import heightmap and textures laugh
Another free tool (with hmp export) I use rarely is PnP Terrain Creator.
Unity pricing is not okay for me, free has no enough features, Pro is too expensive, but its terrain system is cool, and gave me a lot of ideas for the terrain manipulation part of my editor.
The other engines you mentioned are not for my taste or capabilities.

Re: Shiva 3D : [Re: sivan] #403198
06/16/12 08:32
06/16/12 08:32
ratchet Offline OP
Expert
ratchet  Offline OP
Expert

The problem is in game editor lot of times you need to adjust terrain height, repaint areas like paint grass ,ground texture after placing some house or structure : something you can't do with an external terrain editor.
So for me Shiva is not the tool for advanced terrain games.
Indeed if terrain is jsut in background or for some 2.5D game or a simple terrain to shoot ennemies it can be ok !
But for precise levels like advanced village , shiva terrain system is not the best or you could loose lot of time in workflow compared ot real time editing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de