by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (VoroneTZ, monk12, Quad), 829 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 170 of 554 1 2 168 169 170 171 172 553 554
Re: What are you working on? [Re: Rondidon] #403674
06/24/12 08:52
06/24/12 08:52
U.S.A. Michigan
exile Offline
User
exile  Offline
User

U.S.A. Michigan
The pieces are finally falling together. Lots of time and work are finally paying off and I couldnt be more proud of my project than I am now laugh

So the game I have been working on finally has a set name, its now called "Fallen Steel". The game is a multiplayer futuristic shooter (multiplayer ONLY, at least for now), which will have an "energetic" feel to it. In terms of gameplay, the best way I can describe it is like a mixture of Unreal Tournament and Halo. The plot of the game is, in 2310 the entire planet of Mars has been turned into a dumping ground and and prison where the worlds criminals go. However by 2560, the entire planet of mars is being overrun by garbage and the prisons are far too full with thousands behind their walls. So Orion, a weapons manufacturer, offers to buy the prisoners to be used for weapons testing which is approved by the GSF (Global Security Federation). At first, they prisoners were only being used for weapons testing, but eventually employees and their associates began initiating betting circles and underground competitions. Orion noticed this and saw a major profit to be made which lead to the creation of the controversial bloodsport known as "Natural Selection", which was televised on a weekly basis on Orions personal broadcasting network. All seemed well until the GSF banned all bloodsports for being inhumane and torturous in 2568. But that didnt stop Orion, after the ban Orion had begun working on a drone soldier project which would revolutionize the combat industry. These drone soldiers were "piloted" by real humans with what Orion called "Combat reality" suits. These suits allowed the pilot to feel as though they were the drone itself, responding to every muscle and movement command as though it were their own body. By 2570, Orion came back with the new bloodsport known as "Fallen Steel", which used real athletes piloting the drone soldiers in a globally broadcasted event. By 2584, Fallen Steel had become the most popular sport in the world with champions from every colony and country across the globe.

Once I flesh out more of the story and the primary backstory characters and lore, I will make a Showcase thread for this project. For the time being here are some videos which show off a couple features within the game (Keep in mind that a lot of assets are still just placeholder, as I am not an artist).

Let me know what you think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aivfYYEwsa0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puQNviCzFC4

Re: What are you working on? [Re: exile] #403675
06/24/12 09:05
06/24/12 09:05
Germany, Magdeburg
Rei_Ayanami Offline
Expert
Rei_Ayanami  Offline
Expert

Germany, Magdeburg
Looks nice (though I always think that shooter + indie do not match).

The explosion of the rocket looks a bit small, the missing texture are not so cool.

A death animation would be cool (even if the screen only turns red, while you sink into the lava.

Two "bolters"?

After you pick up a weapon, they should be removed for a few seconds, including their "light".

And I wouldn't give my user so many possible things to customize in the UI - he might think you were unsure what to do there.

Just my two cents.

Re: What are you working on? [Re: Rei_Ayanami] #403677
06/24/12 09:25
06/24/12 09:25
U.S.A. Michigan
exile Offline
User
exile  Offline
User

U.S.A. Michigan
Thanks Rei, means a lot!

"The explosion of the rocket looks a bit small, the missing texture are not so cool."
- Yea, I agree, the explosion looks a bit small. I am working on a "billowing texture" effect which will make the explosions and smoke a lot more dynamic in the looks department. As for the textuers, well, im not an artist. I have been looking for someone who can unwrap the models I have made and texture them but as of now no luck. So I just gotta work with what I have for the time being wink

"A death animation would be cool (even if the screen only turns red, while you sink into the lava."
- Agreed, as of now I am working out ragdolls for the game. One of the animations I had in mind (for lava deaths) would be a slow sink with the players hand reaching up terminator style. I'm just trying to get ragdolls+networking to work properly. However I was going to wait until I had a proper base player model to work with (which I dont).

"Two "bolters"?"
- Yes and no. The bolter thats there as the world pickup model is the actual bolter I designed. I just used another model to test animations and such (just to get everything ready for when I get an animated version of the actual bolter).

"After you pick up a weapon, they should be removed for a few seconds, including their "light"
- Actually, they do. I just have all the weapons set to a 3 second respawn time for testing purposes, but the weapon absolutely goes away 100% of the time. Also, the "light" is coming from the weapon spawner, not the weapon itself, unless youre talking about the outer glow of the model in which case goes away with the model.

"And I wouldn't give my user so many possible things to customize in the UI - he might think you were unsure what to do there."
- Well heres the thing, I actually have 4 different UI designs which will be in the final version of the game. But one of the biggest complaints I hear are about UI design. Sure the artist takes gameplay into consideration and tries to create the best UI possible for the game, but the fact of the matter is different people like different things. I believe in giving choices, not taking them away. If a player wants his hud to look blue, to have the health display a bit bigger of the ammo display a bit smaller, or to have his font in a different style, why shouldnt they be allowed to make that choice? Think of it like a car. I wanted the player to have the ability to tune their experience just for them. Of course there will be some things they can't do, but when it comes to asthetic design I say "fuck it" so to speak. I'll put it like this, look at all the different texture packs for minecraft wink This game is being designed for PC and one of the things that makes PC gaming unique is modding. All I am doing is building this feature directly into the game laugh

Oh and for the record; Killing Floor, Natural Selection, Interstellar Marines, Hawken, Nexuiz, are just a couple successful indie FPS titles wink

Last edited by exile; 06/24/12 09:37.
Re: What are you working on? [Re: exile] #403687
06/24/12 14:38
06/24/12 14:38
Germany, BaW�
Rondidon Offline
Expert
Rondidon  Offline
Expert

Germany, BaW�
Awesome. You should work on the 3D-graphics and 3D-modelling, but the menu and the overall "feel" is great from what I see in the video. Very useful and good looking 2D art design.

Re: What are you working on? [Re: Rondidon] #403698
06/24/12 20:10
06/24/12 20:10
H
HeelX Offline
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline
Senior Expert
H

Still working on concept art & animation. This time: Concept animation for the opening and closing of a puzzle, regarding rings and rods (click image):

By the way, I used NHC VideoPad for this and it is a really cool, free, video editing tool. Recommended.

Re: What are you working on? [Re: HeelX] #403705
06/25/12 02:16
06/25/12 02:16
Ohio
xbox Offline
xbox  Offline

Ohio
A Zombie/Survival Game. Since I'm a Level designer, I currently have no enemies.
the first two are the warehouse before the power is turned on.
the next three are with the power on, and the last is an outside view of the whole level.

Re: What are you working on? [Re: xbox] #403721
06/25/12 14:16
06/25/12 14:16
Germany, BaW�
Rondidon Offline
Expert
Rondidon  Offline
Expert

Germany, BaW�
Hm .. well .. you should work on improving your skills. Add multiple layers, textures, details, architecture. It looks like some Wolfenstein map without textures right now. Doom 1 had better graphics laugh ..
Nevertheless it`s a nice start. Thanks for sharing with us.

Re: What are you working on? [Re: Rondidon] #403726
06/25/12 14:38
06/25/12 14:38
Ohio
xbox Offline
xbox  Offline

Ohio
I can't add shaders (can't afford the paid versions), or anything "pretty" for the fact that my computer is not meant for gaming, and barely runs this. This level is still in block out mode, so nothing looks good. Once I get the level flowing the way it needs to be, I'll spend some time making little assets such as railings and stuff.

Also, When I turn the lights on, my FPS drops to 20 approx. (and there are only 12 lights)

Re: What are you working on? [Re: ratchet] #403733
06/25/12 16:10
06/25/12 16:10
Germany | Niedersachsen (Lower...
Roxas Offline
Roxas  Offline

Germany | Niedersachsen (Lower...
Hey xbox, I really like the design of your maps.

Here's a sample from my current project. Since I don't own the paid version I'm using the free version, too. There are no shaders involved as well here.

But you're able to achieve something like this, and even better graphics without slowing down the engine. As you can see I've got over 500 fps. (top right corner). And I wouldn't call myself a level designer to be honest. Just did some models, some textures and copied some effects I saw in a bunch of games I played. I work all by myself. Programming, models, levels, textures, sound, story and character design.

This runs on a 2 year old notebook by the way.

And don't get me wrong. I don't think I'm the super hero with the amazing work. There are a lot people in this forum with awesome skills. I consider myself not even as intermediate. I just wanted to give you an idea of whats possible with the free version

Greetings
Roxas

Re: What are you working on? [Re: Roxas] #403741
06/25/12 17:00
06/25/12 17:00
Germany, BaW�
Rondidon Offline
Expert
Rondidon  Offline
Expert

Germany, BaW�
I like your screenshot a lot, Roxas. The style fits and the textures are great. laugh

Page 170 of 554 1 2 168 169 170 171 172 553 554

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de