Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Ayumi, alibaba), 704 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
lorikob361, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19054 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Mac and Linux (no, really!) [Re: JibbSmart] #402130
05/30/12 11:56
05/30/12 11:56
Earth
Germanunkol Offline
Expert
Germanunkol  Offline
Expert

Earth
Just pre-ordered Overgrowth for the new linux-support.
And I'm not the only one. The forums are filled with people saying things like "I pre-ordered for the linux version". I think in times where good linux games are rare, linux is a huge market for us indies. Too bad this will never happen to 3dgs.

~"I never let school interfere with my education"~
-Mark Twain
Re: Mac and Linux (no, really!) [Re: Germanunkol] #402162
05/30/12 19:01
05/30/12 19:01
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

I'm not for why ? ...

Well ... there are things on forecast page , that are here from two years or more like some terrain/vegetation editor ... Nothing appeared and there are always on the forecast frown

3DGS would need a great boost in terms of interface/tools, custom easy plugin/panels system (like LEadWerks 3D going to that direction, Unity 3D already features that) : It means lot of easy to use tools made by users like :
- complete 2D game solution
- Editor helpers
- RPG complete plugin system
- visual programming plugins
etc ...

That way a 3D engine grows very fast because there are a lot of users selling or giving these plugins.

Why im' against Linux/Apple ...
It needs lot of code rewrite and OpenGL also.

ANd really the mobile market is exploding ... What Conitec needs is really fast some mobile solution ... could it be Android or Apple.
All other 3D engine have that ... some indies engines like ESenthel have it , even LeadWErks 3D is going ot have it also soon .... Only another Torque 3D have only some 2D mobile solution, but thta's better than no mobile support !

This opens lot of doors to indie devs, little games can be lot more easy to make than targetting a complex and quality PC tittle.
And the selling mode is great on Apple Store also.
Some people after beegin success, made some little successfull studio !

3DG needs like i said a lot more "easy workflow" for 3D artists and people wanting to produce a game than coding.
Real Time Terrain editor, real time character physics capsule editor like in some other engines, real time physics adjustements for simple primitives etc ...

Well i really think Linux and Mac can really really wait laugh ...

And Conitec is one man project helped by users on 3DGS not a big team, so saving ressources to improve it and bring on the mobile i think it's a lot lot more good strategic choice than going in all directions at same time also !

I just hope 3DGS to adopt some today features like some totally new interface, plugin system ... just a wish !

Re: Mac and Linux (no, really!) [Re: ratchet] #404913
07/18/12 22:24
07/18/12 22:24
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline OP
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline OP
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Steam's coming to Linux, and there's already been talk on these forums about the upcoming Unity 4, but surprisingly little discussion about the fact that it will also support Linux.

Both of these will be fantastic for the growth of Linux gaming, which was already well-worth a developer's time anyway (as we've discussed too many times already). This also shows that Valve and the Unity team see its value.

Given we already have jcl's final word on this, I think it'd make sense to move this to the Game Business forum for further discussion about the viability of other platforms and what effects those platforms have on the developer.

@ratchet:
Originally Posted By: ratchet
Why im' against Linux/Apple ...
It needs lot of code rewrite and OpenGL also.
Ratchet, this has already been discussed and addressed:
Originally Posted By: JibbSmart
In short, given the editors don't need to be cross-platform, and an OpenGL renderer of sorts is already in the works for Android, I believe the compiler is probably the only real obstacle between Windows-only GS and "PC gaming" GS.
They already have (or are already working on) OpenGL for GS in some capacity. Perhaps the compiler side will be quite some work, but the very fact that you mentioned OpenGL as an obstacle to this request suggests you have little interest in the discussion that has already happened.

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  aztec, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de