by EternallyCurious. 04/25/24 20:49
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (TipmyPip, Ayumi), 773 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 24 of 33 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 32 33
Re: October Video [Re: Superku] #409280
10/14/12 19:39
10/14/12 19:39
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

I have already made some characters for some people here.
Don't hesitate to bring me some character design i would be happy to help your game making one or two characters for you !

Last edited by ratchet; 10/14/12 19:51.
Re: October Video [Re: ratchet] #409647
10/20/12 15:44
10/20/12 15:44
Germany
Error014 Offline
Expert
Error014  Offline
Expert

Germany
You've got quite some feedback already, and I can echo the general sentiment: It looks pretty great, with nice gameplay!
So here's some criticism, then, in no particular order:

Some animations , mostly the hanging-and-climbing-on-the-ceiling, seem... off. And I'm not talking the nonexistant transition-animation from Superku to Totally-Not-The-Morph-Ball-From-Metroid-Honestly-Guys. I'm not an animator, and thus my feedback can't really go more detailed than this. In my experience, you can either get lucky and get away with just adjusted animation speeds (sometimes, if the animation speed is a bit off compared to the corresponding character movement, things look off and wrong on a more subconcious level), or you'll have to face redoing the animations. I know animating is difficult and I am sorry. frown

The turning speed is too slow. Can you increase that? Compare with how fast Mario turns around. I think it would help make the game feel more responsive.

Superku seems a little too symmetric. It's not very clear from it's silhouette (which is what we see at a glance) which direction he/she/it is facing. The way I see it, you have two options: Making the cape much thicker, or making it's face bigger. As it stands, those two things are a bit hard to make out.

To help with those things, consider adding some particles that highlight certain positions. Consider a few smoke particles coming up whenever Superku lands after a jump, or a particle effect when you grab a ledge - especially the ledge grabbing seems hard to notice. Perhaps there is a sound, but there should also be a visual cue thats much less subtle than the animation. Also, particle effects when Superku runs up a wall would help with judging how much longer he/she/it can stick to that wall.

The sine wave ropes ... don't you think their amplitude is a big large? tongue

Does the wind affect gameplay? It's hard to tell from the video. I mean, it's not a stretch to assume it does, so make sure to convey it early in a safe, controlled environment whether it does or does not. And once you decided on one thing, stick to it - either all wind-effect-levels have the gameplay effect, or none do.

I am still unsure what to think of the square-landscape-effect. Hmm.

Why can the doors marked "5" be destroyed with that laser-thing? This doesn't seem intuitive. Also, the power-blocks -- is it really necessary to move those two spaces? Yes, this is nitpicking.

Also, some levels seem insanely convoluted and big. It's fun to watch you play through it, since you know where to go, it seems fluid and like theres good progress being made at all times. But I bet if I were to play them, I'd get lost, miss some elements and generally spend some time idly wandering, destroying the flow, one point of criticism I have with Dustforce as well. Consider the room at 4:43 in the video. First, there's no signal or sign to go there first. Second, once you there, I'd probably press the button and think that's it, but no! I have to go upwards to a room I couldn't even see before and do a button puzzle there.
I'm not saying that you'll have to redesign all those levels, but you should probably add signs or other elements that guide the player more or less subtly around the levels.

Okay, that's all I can think of for now. I hope I didn't come across as too mean! grin
Remember, I do like what I'm seeing, and I think by fixing the above issues you could improve this game quite a bit! laugh

Perhaps this post will get me points for originality at least.

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!
Re: October Video [Re: Error014] #409674
10/20/12 16:47
10/20/12 16:47
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline OP
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Thank you very much for the detailed feedback! I will think about all your points but I have to disprove some of them:

I've changed the animation speed of the ceiling mode multiple times and I like it this way the best, but I am aware that the animation itself is not very good. I may try to improve it soon. As the note says the effect of the Kuball transition is currently deactivated because I don't like how it looks, if activated Superku bursts into many brown, green, red and white particles that orbit around the Kuball like a small galaxy, but I don't get it to look right.

Well... the turning speed. I have to completely disagree here as I've worked on the values since 2009 including acceleration on ground/ in air, gravity, turning speed on ground/ in air, at wall jumps and so on and I think it all is at the best state that I can produce. I hate it in platformers or movement codes in general when there is no inertia and you can easily change the jumping direction in mid-air. Inertia and direct control IMO are not mutually exclusive.

Hm I see your point but I think it's obvious in which direction Superku faces when you play the game yourself. Btw. the visual model, its rotation and the like does not affect the gameplay at all, the player in fact controls an invisible cube that does not rotate and the visual representation aligns to the walk direction, it's not the other way round.

Yes, that's a good idea, I will add some subtle effects here and there to improve the responsive feel of the movement.

Quote:
The sine wave ropes ... don't you think their amplitude is a big large? :-P

Nope. :-P

Quote:
Does the wind affect gameplay?

Yes, totally! When you are in open-air, you will be pushed to the left accordingly to the current strength of the visual wind effect. The wind does not push you, though, when you are in front of a background block, you will notice it instantly when you play the first level.

Quote:
Why can the doors marked "5" be destroyed with that laser-thing? This doesn't seem intuitive. Also, the power-blocks -- is it really necessary to move those two spaces? Yes, this is nitpicking.

It was supposed to be an "S", not a "5" and will be replaced with the Superku logo (that will be on the cape, too) when I finally have decided on one. And I have to disagree again, once you gain the ability to shoot your energy spheres (in the same level), the "S" starts to glow and it will be the first thing that blocks your way (and if the attack key is pressed, the auto-lock target will show that the block can be destroyed). I'd say it's perfectly intuitive, at least if you see it in context.
Regarding the power-block, I think you mean the part at 3:40? Yes, again this happens on purpose, there is a secret hidden at exactly this position. wink

Normally the levels only take 70-90secs. to complete and are linear and easy to understand. The sand temple level from the video is the 25th level (of 50) and is supposed to be something special, that's why it's a 4:30min non-linear exploration level. I can see that it's not completely obvious at 4:43 where you have to go but players are not stupid. I hate it how almost all modern games treat the player as a non-imaginative being. If you have played the game this far, you will have run enough walls to get the idea to use the ability here once again.

Thanks again for the feedback, I really appreciate it! wink

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: October Video [Re: Superku] #409688
10/20/12 21:28
10/20/12 21:28
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

Rock on little cow, rock on.

I found the switches in this desert temple something level not obvious enough - they need some other style to make them better catch one's eye.

Re: October Video [Re: FBL] #409736
10/21/12 19:01
10/21/12 19:01
H
HeelX Offline
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline
Senior Expert
H

Hey Superku, I was finally able to view the video! The gameplay is great, it is a great fun to watch - and it also looks very polished so far. I don't care if the music is licensed; here are my main remarks:

• The swinging signs are funny! Great!
  • About the wheel with the black arrows going down: I don't know what happens there, I can't „read“ from the arrows what should happen or what I should do there.
  • When running straight to the right, the cape is like a red „line“. I thought you threw in some cape physics? Maybe you can make it flap a bit.
  • The squids are awesome! But I would add some electricity/flashing as an effect, maybe when the player is near them.
  • In the level with the sand I would add lots of particle action when the player runs through it or jumps into it, as well as when he pushes boxes through them, or when he jumps through the falling sand. Generally this section looks unfinished. And what I find disturbing are the unstructured bright-blue unicolored areas – because it looks so different than the levels before. I like the glass cube and maybe you could replace the bright-blue texture with the glass, in a slight bright-blue tint and a normalmap with the structure of the „blocky“ texture instead.
  • When hitting the „5“ Boxes, I would rather place the red dot at the side of the box instead of the origin.
  • At the 4:15 passage with the vertical beams, you have to turn to the left and jump through the gap. Is that intended? Are the beams vanishing if you don't look at them??

Keep it coming!

Last edited by HeelX; 10/21/12 19:03.
Re: October Video [Re: HeelX] #410382
11/02/12 01:07
11/02/12 01:07
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline OP
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Thanks! I will change the switches and have a look at all the other stuff, too.
As you suggested the jellyfish now have an electricity glow around them when the player gets close, the area looks and feels much more vivid now!
Yes, the temple level is unfinished but I probably won't change the blue colored areas. It's a transparent glass with a few subtle light reflections over a sand background (maybe a little hard to see in the video, I think I will decrease the alpha value of the glass). The problem with the other glass effect is that it looks pretty bad on a larger surface, IMO there has to be "low structure" on those big surfaces or it will look a little disturbing.

As you've mentioned the target marker (on the "S" boxes or at 0:15+ in the video), does anyone have an idea how it could/ should look like? Because I don't...

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

need level ideas! [Re: Superku] #413195
12/10/12 00:26
12/10/12 00:26
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline OP
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Didn't work much on Superku for the last month for various reasons but I've deactivated the isometric rendering for fun/ testing because I will/ have to use perspective rendering in one special level:

Obviously there are some issues as the level, the shaders, shadows and the like are built for an isometric game but do you think that the look has potential/ could look better than the 2D version? I'm not going to change it for this game but I think I will use the perspective rendering for my next project.

I've deleted three more levels and now need ideas for 4 levels! They should be something special from a gameplay point of view, thus a suggestion such as "a level where you fly around like a cannonball" is much more appreciated than one like "a snow/ ice level".

Thanks for every input!

Re: need level ideas! [Re: Superku] #413197
12/10/12 00:37
12/10/12 00:37
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

the shader looks great.

Re: need level ideas! [Re: ratchet] #413200
12/10/12 02:41
12/10/12 02:41
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
a level were your constantly falling and need to somehow freeze molten blocks to use as platforms temporarily before they melt again. iknow it's kinda vague, thought it could be something you could run with maybe.

edit: predictive text said men instead of molten. lol

Last edited by lostclimate; 12/10/12 13:18.
Re: need level ideas! [Re: lostclimate] #413201
12/10/12 03:52
12/10/12 03:52
Canada
Stansmedia Offline
Serious User
Stansmedia  Offline
Serious User

Canada
Giant leaves you have to timed jump across to avoid falling into a bottomless level? Or something along the lines of a bottomless level. Are there points you can collect in the game? Or any kind of items?

Decessus - 80% done. 100% abandoned.
GET MY ANDROID GAME! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lasertrain.zspinballfree&hl=en
Page 24 of 33 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 32 33

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de