. Then the other problems related to the complexity & functionality of the levels, shaders, models, animations & gameplay emerged and things got from bad to worse.

that's the main problem, like said on lot of AUM interviews : start small and simple !

Perhaps, lot more simpler gameplay would have been better.
Two characters to control with puzzle this complicates thigns.

Some simple jump/run and fight game with simple Door/buttons gameplay would have been best ?
With power ups, bnus, etc ... would have been programmed faster ...

For workflow, i understand the point of view as a 3DGS user also ! For shaders perhaps some simple cartoon shader could have been ok ? And some other shaders for special things ?

I've seen lightmapping Blender import video, but i abandonned with 3DGS caus i didn't understood why it didn't work and that's really tedious task , and a big lacking feature on
3DGS to don't have easy and direct lightmap import frown

---------

For the art segment, it's some eternal problem, specially when each people target to make it's own game.

You could post screenshot of your game on Polycount, Game artisans and tell you seek medium skilled level artists ?

The project is paused,godo news ... but be carefull laugh ...
years are passing through since it started ... one or more two years and you'll be forced to look at reality ...

I hope not indeed, and hope it wil reborn.