by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (AndrewAMD, Quad, M_D), 1,217 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! [Re: 3run] #415027
01/12/13 21:51
01/12/13 21:51
Germany
Error014 Offline
Expert
Error014  Offline
Expert

Germany
You know what? I think JustSid is right on this one.

I do believe Realspawn when he says it was a lot of work for him, and he's certainly allowed to be proud of his work!
But that's not what we're supposed to judge and/or honor here. This is about the objectively best created content that teaches people something (well, I guess "serious games" could be more than that, but it'S not like anyone attempted that). "Animals" may be a nice game for kids, but it doesn't teach anything (unless we count the sound animals make, and this is pushing it).

And the use of someone else's work - without crediting it, even! - in a non-private, non-for-hobby project is an instant reason to disqualify the entry.

Even not counting that, the whole thing seems like missed opportunities to me. Why not show the scale of planets and distances, or at least allow the display to be switched to that? Why not show some basic parameters about the planets?
I do like the idea of asking the player to command a spaceship, though. However, it's cleary unfinished and in a very early state. We're left with an interactive, single vec_dist-check, that's a bit underwhelming for a contest winner. Maybe I'm just bitter because I like astronomy, and this treatment of it isn't what I would like to see

Alright, enough negativity for one post. Sorry Realspawn, please don't be angry at this. I do appreciate you taking time to work with this engine and that you show your progress. I also fondly remember some of your earlier projects. But I think you've made a mistake here that for some reason you're not getting called out on, which seems unfair and wrong to me. JustSid spoke up, and he's completely right on this.

EDIT: 3run - please, if you're not comfortable discussing this in public, then, err, don't start a discussion in public. Don't use this cop-out to have the automatic last word.

Last edited by Error014; 01/12/13 21:52.

Perhaps this post will get me points for originality at least.

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!
Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! [Re: Error014] #415028
01/12/13 22:02
01/12/13 22:02
Caucasus
3run Offline
Senior Expert
3run  Offline
Senior Expert

Caucasus
Error014@ Am I saying that I'm not comfortable with anything? I would like to keep private things, out of the public, but some of you as I see don't do that, are you trying to attract attention like that or something? Nice to see, that you also would like to agree with justsid on shitting down the forum by offending someone of public! My point is, if you don't like him being a winner, don't try to offend him (here on forum), but do something else instead of that (at least send him a PM, contact with a judges as I've said already), cause it's really rude and boorish (but yeah, pretty easy) to talk shift over a person.

Edit: I'm allowed to use anything in my needs, even for "the automatic last word" things.

Last edited by 3run; 01/12/13 22:09.

Looking for free stuff?? Take a look here: http://badcom.at.ua
Support me on: https://boosty.to/3rung
Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! [Re: 3run] #415030
01/12/13 22:20
01/12/13 22:20
Germany
Error014 Offline
Expert
Error014  Offline
Expert

Germany
Please, calm down!

Look. We're not "shitting down" the forum. We're not talking about Realspawn, the person. We're talking his project. Which is what this forum is about. This whole thread is about the projects and the contest. Where else to talk about this? What else to talk about in here? If Realspawn is truly not interested in opinions, feedback - which would be a shame, because how else to learn and improve? - and finally a judging of his game, then, err, he shouldn't enter them into a contest, which are about finding out what is the best and what fulfills certain criteria the best.

To summarize: Any (real, not fabricated) feedback or comment I have about Realspawns project - that he submitted to this contest - are not a private issue between me and him when he posts about it or enters them to a contest with the public voting on it.
There's much to learn from feedback of other projects as well, it'd be a shame if we kept those sources of knowledge away from people! laugh

Also, if we're really allowed to "use anything in my needs", then I want everyone to reply to this in haiku. Also, the first character of every word should, when taken together, form the name of a country in Latin America.
(I jest, of course)

Last edited by Error014; 01/12/13 22:25. Reason: added paragraph for clarity

Perhaps this post will get me points for originality at least.

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!
Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! [Re: 3run] #415031
01/12/13 22:22
01/12/13 22:22
Germany / Essen
Uhrwerk Offline
Expert
Uhrwerk  Offline
Expert

Germany / Essen
Originally Posted By: 3run
Nice to see, that you also would like to agree with justsid on shitting down the forum by offending someone of public! My point is, if you don't like him being a winner, don't try to offend him (here on forum

Sorry, I don't get it. Where exactly is the offense?

Always learn from history, to be sure you make the same mistakes again...
Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! [Re: Error014] #415033
01/12/13 22:36
01/12/13 22:36
Caucasus
3run Offline
Senior Expert
3run  Offline
Senior Expert

Caucasus
Originally Posted By: Error014
There's much to learn from feedback of other projects as well, it'd be a shame if we kept those sources of knowledge away from people!
Error014@ I totally agree with you on this, but, not in that rude way, as justsid did, thats what I'm talking about.
Originally Posted By: Error014
We're not talking about Realspawn
Error014@ Maybe you don't, but justsid does.
Originally Posted By: JustSid
To be honest, I don't even think that you deserved to take part in this contest to begin with (let alone even win it).
A game that wants to teach something but doesn't.
Sure, you can throw this words just as your 2 cents in, cause this is what feedback is.
But it's sounds really meanly from a side, when you tell this on public to show your negative attitude.

Uhrwerk@ it's really offending, if you don't respect what person does (especially, when you see, that he tried his best).

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! [Re: 3run] #415038
01/12/13 23:38
01/12/13 23:38
Germany / Essen
Uhrwerk Offline
Expert
Uhrwerk  Offline
Expert

Germany / Essen
It's exactly the opposite. JustSid does not criticize the things Realspawn did. He criticizes the things Realspawn did NOT do but claims to have done.

I don't know if Realspawn has used copyrighted material, but if that is the case I think JustSid or anybody else is absolutely right about critcizing that. Using copyrighted material should lead to exclusion from a contest, especially as the winning entry cannot be published then. I also don't think that it's rude or offensive to clearly express this. A copyright infringement is no peccadillo.

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! [Re: Uhrwerk] #415040
01/12/13 23:59
01/12/13 23:59
netherlands
Realspawn Offline

Expert
Realspawn  Offline

Expert

netherlands
again ah pooh laugh

Animals is learning kids the sound animals make so there is
a learning progress here.
(even young children learn people !)

Solar system is an example how you can teach things by showing
and telling, then let people fly to the planets to see if they
learned (remembered) where that specific planet is. Serious gaming is nothing more then learning something while playing also a game

The judges decided so if you not agree bother them. Looking at the votes and their desicion they understood what i was trying to accomplish aswell as Heelx review stated what the goal was

Not congratulate me but specificly one person is no respect
to me cause i know i did my best to send in an entry as anyone else,It even was a lot of work to create al the sound clips laugh
I agreed on the fact that it perhaps should not have been done by me but at least Heelx mentioned in a normal way.

and if you find the time go look in all the previous entries wink
over the years. I'll bet you you find enough stuff where credit is not given and stuff of others is used laugh

To all my best regards

and untill the next contest laugh

Last edited by Realspawn; 01/13/13 16:09.

Find all my tutorials & Workshops at : www.rp-interactive.nl

Creativity starts in the brain
Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! [Re: 3run] #415044
01/13/13 00:16
01/13/13 00:16
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
Originally Posted By: 3run

To be honest, I don't even think that you deserved to take part in this contest to begin with (let alone even win it).
A game that wants to teach something but doesn't.
Sure, you can throw this words just as your 2 cents in, cause this is what feedback is.
But it's sounds really meanly from a side, when you tell this on public to show your negative attitude.

Uhrwerk@ it's really offending, if you don't respect what person does (especially, when you see, that he tried his best).

not sure I'd call the way he said it rude. he states clearly his point. he does not attack the work that realspawn put into it or realspawn himself. he states that realspawn broke intellectual property rules and should therefore be disqualified and that he does not think realspawn deserves congradulations on it.

I think justsid came out in need of some honesty not in want of offense to Realspawn.

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! [Re: Realspawn] #415046
01/13/13 00:22
01/13/13 00:22
Germany / Essen
Uhrwerk Offline
Expert
Uhrwerk  Offline
Expert

Germany / Essen
It's not about how much work it is or if you did the best you could. It's also not about how many people did it before. Driving drunk is irresponsible and will always be irresponsible, regardless of the number of people who did it before. Although not directly comparable, the same is true for copyright infringement. It does not get better as others do it as well. I think it's pretty clear that you have gotten an advantage over the other contestants here as you used materials you were not allowed to use and the others had to work hard for. Additionally the problem of not being able to publish your entry remains.

Don't get me wrong, Realspawn, I know your for quite some time here in the forums and I think you're a nice guy. But using copyrighted material was not ok. JustSid is just right about the points he made in his posts. Sometimes he is a bit direct. You can easily get that wrong.

Re: Winter 2012 contest entries uploaded - let's vote! [Re: Uhrwerk] #415053
01/13/13 06:50
01/13/13 06:50
Caucasus
3run Offline
Senior Expert
3run  Offline
Senior Expert

Caucasus
lostclimate@ and Uhrwerk@ Telling a person that HE (person himself, not his project) doesn't deserve to take part in this contest isn't rude?
Seriously, you are probably blind, or don't really want to see what I'm saying, but my point is pretty clear, yeah, but as always, who cares..

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  George 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de